Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:25 PM

8 posts, read 16,958 times

Advertisements

Where to move?! Austin or Charlotte? I'm a Native Texan and my husband is from OH. I can't stand long, dreary, ugly winters with no leaves on the trees.

How long are the winters in Charlotte, and why would I want to live there?

I'll take 100 degrees+ over 5 or 6 months of 45 degrees or less.

And what's up with the economy there?!

d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 09:57 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,802 times
Austin

Old 07-16-2009, 10:02 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,106 times
The economy here sucks. Out loud.

The job market is terrible.

Look for jobs in both areas, get a job, then move where you get a job.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:02 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
IMO, Charlotte has better weather than Austin, but it does get humid - very humid. CLT has 4 real seasons, very little snow, and a lot of trees are evergreens. The city itself is heavily treed and is quite beautiful. However, the economy tanked and unemployment is arouond 13%. If you don't have a job lined up, don't move!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:06 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
CLT has 4 real seasons...
I strongly disagree with this! Charlotte has nothing I recognize as "winter." Winter here is more like "late fall" in the upper midwest...

I guess it depends on where you are from and your point of reference!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:12 AM

62 posts, read 187,963 times
I live in Winston-Salem, not Charlotte so I probably should just keep my mouth shut. However, I grew up in Houston and went to college in Austin and definately have my bias for Austin. I recently moved from CA to NC and totally happy with the area here. I have always said that if I ever moved back to Texas it would definately be Austin.....check out keepaustinweird website.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:18 AM

21 posts, read 44,212 times
Don't move here. The economy is bad. My husband and I moved out here in late 2007, with jobs, and he was laid off 4 months later. He got another job and was again laid off 7 months later. Now both of us have been laid off since February, and nothing has come in since. We are looking to get out, ASAP. Nothing against Charlotte, just that we need to do what we need to do.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:47 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbwire View Post
Don't move here. The economy is bad. My husband and I moved out here in late 2007, with jobs, and he was laid off 4 months later. He got another job and was again laid off 7 months later. Now both of us have been laid off since February, and nothing has come in since. We are looking to get out, ASAP. Nothing against Charlotte, just that we need to do what we need to do.
Barb, I am so sorry. I wanted to stay in Kansas but the job was here so I moved back home. Sometimes, there is just no solution but leaving. There are so many jobs that have been lost here and will never come back. I hope you all can find jobs in a good area.

As far as Austin, I am an NC native, but if my hubby got a transfer opp to Austin, we would go. I like that area of the country. It's not that I am unhappy in Charlotte at all. I would just like to live in Texas for a while, and my two favorite areas are Austin (like Georgetown) and Dallas (Frisco and Plano).

The economy in Charlotte is the pits right now and despite my wishing things would turn around here soon, I think we are in for a long stint w/ high unemployment in this region.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:20 PM

494 posts, read 1,349,773 times
Texas is doing pretty well in this Recession!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:01 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Have heard some great things about Austin. I have been there a couple of times, but not familiar with the place enough to make a good judgement. I wouldn't mind living there. Chosing between the two cities totally depends on what you like and dislike. There are lots of similarities between the two, ie. size, weather, etc. If Charlotte was enjoying its normal economic prosperity (which will return eventually), I would likely pick Charlotte. At the present time, I might lean towards Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte