U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 10:16 AM

90 posts, read 220,620 times

Advertisements

Many people on the blog talk about how it is so hot in summer no one goes outside. I was wondering what kind of heat is it, im from Ny city where summers can be hot and humid is it similar to that or is it dry heat.

Also NC has a very high hurricane index is this a problem in or around the chrlotte area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 10:50 AM

3,910 posts, read 4,644,145 times
To my knowledge, Charlotte has not had any significant damage due to hurricanes, although it has experienced big storms due to the hurricanes (I remember my college (which is an hour west of Charlotte) had some tree damage due to the winds from Hurricane Hugo back about 15-20 years ago).

The summers here are super hot and very humid. But that's what community pools are for!!

Old 02-19-2007, 10:54 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
The hottest month of the year in Charlotte is July. According to the National Weather Service (NWS) office in Charlotte, the average daily high in July is 90.1 degrees. Relative humidity is 65%-75% throughout the state.

In 1989, the city took a direct hit from Hurricane Hugo. Passing through Charlotte with wind gusts over 100 mph, Hugo caused massive property damage and knocked out power to ninety eight percent of the population. Many residents were without power for several weeks and cleanup took months to complete. Being a city far inland- residents, city government and the utilities were not prepared to handle such a powerful storm.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:58 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
To my knowledge, Charlotte has not had any significant damage due to hurricanes, although it has experienced big storms due to the hurricanes (I remember my college (which is an hour west of Charlotte) had some tree damage due to the winds from Hurricane Hugo back about 15-20 years ago).

The summers here are super hot and very humid. But that's what community pools are for!!
Hurricane Hugo, September 1989, did more than "some tree damage". (Though this is not typical, so newcomers should not worry that hurricanes are a common occurance.)

copied and pasted for you:

In 1989, the city took a direct hit from Hurricane Hugo. Passing through Charlotte with wind gusts over 160 km/h (100 mph), Hugo caused massive property damage and knocked out power to ninety eight percent of the population. Many residents were without power for several weeks and cleanup took months to complete. Being a city far inland- residents, city government and the utilities were not prepared to handle such a powerful hurricane. Over 80,000 trees were destroyed in Charlotte.

In December 2002, Charlotte (and much of central North Carolina) was hit by a massive ice storm that knocked out power to over 1.2 million Duke Power customers. According to a Duke Energy representative: "This ice storm surpasses the damage from Hurricane Hugo in 1989, which had 696,000 outages." During an abnormally cold December, many were without power for more than a week.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:00 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
The hottest month of the year in Charlotte is July. According to the National Weather Service (NWS) office in Charlotte, the average daily high in July is 90.1 degrees. Relative humidity is 65%-75% throughout the state.

In 1989, the city took a direct hit from Hurricane Hugo. Passing through Charlotte with wind gusts over 100 mph, Hugo caused massive property damage and knocked out power to ninety eight percent of the population. Many residents were without power for several weeks and cleanup took months to complete. Being a city far inland- residents, city government and the utilities were not prepared to handle such a powerful storm.
Hey, great minds think alike

Old 02-19-2007, 04:44 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,382,556 times
It can get hot and humid, but it's not "brutal". Clearly, this is all subjective, though. Real heat and humidity is any coastal area (or within 100 miles of those coastal areas) from CT all of the way around to TX or in the midwest. I know someone from coastal AL and he laughs when people around Charlotte complain about our "heat & humidity". But it varies greatly from the coast to the mountains here in NC. From about Southern Pines eastward, it can get pretty bad. The Piedmont (I-85 corridor) is not too bad. The moutains are really nice, depending on elevation. There's a lot of variety.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:52 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,382,556 times
It can get hot and humid, but it's not "brutal". Clearly, this is all subjective, though. Real heat and humidity is any coastal area (or within 100 miles of those coastal areas) from CT all of the way around to TX or in the midwest. I know someone from coastal AL and he laughs when people around Charlotte complain about our "heat & humidity". But it varies greatly from the coast to the mountains here in NC. From about Southern Pines eastward, it can get pretty bad. The Piedmont (I-85 corridor) is not too bad. The moutains are really nice, depending on elevation. There's a lot of variety.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 AM

48 posts, read 137,425 times
i also heard someone complain about how hot it is in charlotte in the summer but when i compared average temperatures to philadelphia (where i'm coming from), it looked like the winters were maybe 8 degrees warmer (not a problem ) and the summers only a few degrees warmer. and i know we've certainly had some hot summers up here, depending on the jet stream and such. i'm not sure about the humidity difference though.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:17 AM

7,930 posts, read 17,786,830 times
Du the winters are much warmer in NC than Jersey..we were there in Dec and now we just came back and yesterday it was 57 degrees in Union County....and TRUST ME that is warm...50 degrees there is warm as a matter of fact Monday night the local news said the normal temps for winter range between 50-60 so I dont call that cold...I havent been there yet in the summer so I cant say...and christmas week it was 68-71 degrees it was beautiful...

Old 02-21-2007, 10:23 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
Average High in July

Charlotte 90.1
DC 88.3
NYC 84.2

Relative humidity is about the same.

National Weather Service

Last edited by mm34b; 02-21-2007 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte