Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How are gay couples accepted?
Not at all. Expect slander and violence. 5 19.23%
Just Fine. Expect a low level of understanding. 7 26.92%
Normal. Expect a few nay sayers. 12 46.15%
Welcome. Hold hands in public. 2 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 05:00 PM

116 posts, read 422,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Schillinger View Post
My girlfriend and I are planning to move to Charlotte in about a month. We have done a lot of research and recently come across some disturbing news/gossip. We have heard that we might not be safe to be open about our partnership. We are both from small towns in Northern WI and the thought of being shot at or having piles of gay related magazines burned on our doorstep is more than frightening. Hopefully these are isolated incidents and not common occurences. Charlotte seems to be a diverse and exciting area to live. Any input would be much appreciated.
An old gay friend of mine (or a gay old friend of mine from my college days lives in Charlotte in a house, with his partner, in an old established neighborhood. As a matter of fact, I think his partner is from Wisconsin. They seems happy there and have never mentioned having any problems. They have been in the house for several years and are making plans for some big renovations. So obviously they aren't making plans to leave anytime soon. Maybe it's all economic. Gays seem to be more attracted to the older, more urban parts of a city. They move into those areas where the neighborhoods have been declining, start fixing up the homes, then the neighborhood starts looking nicer and suddenly becomes more desirable, and then the property values go up. Most people like it when their property values go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 05:37 PM

116 posts, read 422,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCborn View Post
An old gay friend of mine (or a gay old friend of mine from my college days lives in Charlotte in a house, with his partner, in an old established neighborhood.
Oh, and just so there's no confusion, this friend of mine isn't actually old, unless you consider early 40s to be old. I meant old in the sense that we've known each other for a long time.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:00 PM

89 posts, read 417,150 times
I don't foresee any problems for you, but as it has pretty much been said, you can't predict what people will do anywhere. I do want to wish you the best of luck!

Old 02-20-2007, 09:40 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Schillinger View Post
My girlfriend and I are planning to move to Charlotte in about a month. We have done a lot of research and recently come across some disturbing news/gossip. We have heard that we might not be safe to be open about our partnership. We are both from small towns in Northern WI and the thought of being shot at or having piles of gay related magazines burned on our doorstep is more than frightening. Hopefully these are isolated incidents and not common occurences. Charlotte seems to be a diverse and exciting area to live. Any input would be much appreciated.

I've only been in Charlotte A have seen many gays. I'm thinking if you move to one of these back woods areas you may have some problems but not in the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: