U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:47 AM

7,042 posts, read 8,807,987 times

Advertisements

Well, you know, it is not out of the question. This past spring, police killed a wild cougar that was in the middle of the city in Chicago near to an elementary school. They tracked this guy and determined that he had probably come from an area more than 100 miles away!! Of course, there was this huge outcry from animal lovers (I am one, but, in this case, I know the cops did not have a choice), but, the cat was only a block away from the school and there were little kids possibly involved....and Chicago city cops don't typically carry large animal tranquilizers...not the normal kind of incident found in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 08:49 AM

7,042 posts, read 8,807,987 times
Point being, if there are panthers known to be the the Uwaharrie (sp?) National Forest, then, one could easily have trotted over to the Wesley Chapel/Waxhaw are to find food.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:01 AM

144 posts, read 260,896 times
It could have been a black bobcat. Its rare but its been documented.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:10 AM

35,458 posts, read 43,093,122 times
I would not be surprised about this at all. I have seen bobcats in this state and once saw what I thought could have been a larger cat of some sort - more like a cougar. I had other people with me (at night). This was in the Brushy Mountains of NC and once around the Grandfather Mtn. area. Most of us are not hiking and camping in areas where humans rarely venture . . . but the times I have been out at night . . . I have seen some interesting wildlife (crossing in front of headlights, flashlights catching glimpses, etc).

Old 11-23-2008, 10:15 AM

19,115 posts, read 13,815,169 times
All I know for sure is my neighbor, who has lived here all of his life, said that he has seen a black panther in our area........He is not the kind of person who would make something up and he knows his animals. He raises horses and has to keep a close eye out for anything that could harm them!! He now has a light that shines all night over the barn and his whole ranch is surrounded with electric wire fencing. He has 3 dogs that are there to keep an eye on things and to alarm them of any problems. He must have his reasons.......

Old 11-23-2008, 10:18 AM

35,458 posts, read 43,093,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
All I know for sure is my neighbor, who has lived here all of his life, said that he has seen a black panther in our area........He is not the kind of person who would make something up and he knows his animals. He raises horses and has to keep a close eye out for anything that could harm them!! He now has a light that shines all night over the barn and his whole ranch is surrounded with electric wire fencing. He has 3 dogs that are there to keep an eye on things and to alarm them of any problems. He must have his reasons.......
He does - and he is not the only farmer/rancher who is alert to the possibilities from big cats. Even my great uncle, who farmed in Iredell Co, talked about big cats back 40 years ago - and that they damaged livestock.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:51 PM

138 posts, read 275,509 times
Just my 2 cents - I live in Cureton, and I saw what looked like a very large cat - I thought a Bobcat, about 14 months ago before too much development occurred.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:45 PM

262 posts, read 557,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I don't think so. Too much lore not enuf facts about panthers, cougars, etc in NC. Many of us wish they were here, but that does not make them here.

Any chance it would have been a bear? Real world bears are a) black and b) don't look a lot like caged specimens.

lln
It's funny you mentioned bear....someone told me that a black bear cub had been shot and killed off Weddington Rd. I felt too stupid to inquire about it. He also told me that there are a lot of feral pigs in the area and that they do a lot of damage to the landscape.
I didn't know if it was me thinking he was too gullible or the other way around. I have lived in Charlotte my whole life and the only thing I ever heard about are the typical panther and bobcat stories.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:02 PM

1,851 posts, read 1,169,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I presume you are referring to the cougar, puma or mountain lion, as various other cats, such as leopards, are also called panthers.

In 1977, The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the U.S. Forest Service cosponsored a three-year study to try to answer the question. These agencies were spurred into action when several environmental groups threatened to file suit to halt timber harvests in areas where cougars had been reported to have been seen.

The study was conducted by Robert Downing, Headquartered at Clemson University. He investigated hundreds of reports of cougar sightings, tracks and screams and came up empty. Screaming cougars turned out to be barking gray foxes. Cougar tracks transformed into dog, bobcat, or bear prints upon further investigation. Black panthers turned into Labrador retrievers. Still, Downing found it hard to believe that so many observers could be wrong.

Two roadkilled cougars have been recovered from North Carolina in recent years, both from the eastern part of the state. One carcass had a tattooed ear, the other had no front claws. Obviously, these specimens were not from a breeding population of native cougars. One report of a cougar jumping onto the roof of a mobile home near Brevard turned out to be a flying squirrel!

Anyone wishing to submit information regarding the eastern cougar may do so by writing to:

Eastern Cougar
Northeast Regional Office
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
300 Westgate Center Drive
Hadley, MA 01035

or by email to EasternCougar@fws.gov.
Forget about the cougars. What's with all these mutant, whacky-looking, bizzare insects down here?

Man, after nine years of living in North Carolina, I'm still finding genetically mutant bugs crawling and flying around; that I've never, ever seen before.

Living down here is like living in one of those Sci-Fi movies.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:06 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,167,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Forget about the cougars. What's with all these mutant, whacky-looking, bizzare insects down here?

Man, after nine years of living in North Carolina, I'm still finding genetically mutant bugs crawling and flying around; that I've never, ever seen before.

Living down here is like living in one of those Sci-Fi movies.
Wait until you visit south Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte