U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:02 AM

6 posts, read 20,819 times

Advertisements

My wife claims to have seen a black panther (the cat) off of Cuthbertson Road yesterday. Is that possible? From her description of the animal it sure sounds like one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 08:15 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,403,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justgoing View Post
My wife claims to have seen a black panther (the cat) off of Cuthbertson Road yesterday. Is that possible? From her description of the animal it sure sounds like one.
There have been reports like this over the past couple of years, so she could have seen what she thinks she did. They are supposed to be extremely elusive though. You could call the department of wildlife and fisheries to report it and ask them what they think

Old 11-01-2008, 08:29 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,647,355 times
I presume you are referring to the cougar, puma or mountain lion, as various other cats, such as leopards, are also called panthers.

In 1977, The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the U.S. Forest Service cosponsored a three-year study to try to answer the question. These agencies were spurred into action when several environmental groups threatened to file suit to halt timber harvests in areas where cougars had been reported to have been seen.

The study was conducted by Robert Downing, Headquartered at Clemson University. He investigated hundreds of reports of cougar sightings, tracks and screams and came up empty. Screaming cougars turned out to be barking gray foxes. Cougar tracks transformed into dog, bobcat, or bear prints upon further investigation. Black panthers turned into Labrador retrievers. Still, Downing found it hard to believe that so many observers could be wrong.

Two roadkilled cougars have been recovered from North Carolina in recent years, both from the eastern part of the state. One carcass had a tattooed ear, the other had no front claws. Obviously, these specimens were not from a breeding population of native cougars. One report of a cougar jumping onto the roof of a mobile home near Brevard turned out to be a flying squirrel!

Anyone wishing to submit information regarding the eastern cougar may do so by writing to:

Eastern Cougar
Northeast Regional Office
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
300 Westgate Center Drive
Hadley, MA 01035

or by email to EasternCougar@fws.gov.

Last edited by mm34b; 11-01-2008 at 08:44 AM..

Old 11-22-2008, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 11,555 times
Hello, I work at a State Park in eastern NC. We were checking the trails when we stopped to pick up a branch that was across the trial. I looked over beside me and I saw what appeared to be yellow eyes in the bushes. I looked again three or four times to make sure that it was not just my mind playing tricks, but it was clear that it was set of eyes. Whatever it was, was black, had yellow eyes, and was crouched down to the ground like it was hiding. There was no way possible that this was a house cat because the eyes were too far apart, so it had to of had a larger head. I am afraid to go down the trails alone because of the wolves in the area, so of course I thought that it was a black wolf. I came back to the office and talked to the park ranger about what I had seen and told him that I thought that it might of been a wolf. He informed me that there are not any black wolves in this area and if it had yellow eyes he believes that it was a cat. A couple of days later one of the guys was down the trail mowing when a large black cat ran across the trail in the same area that I saw the eyes. All of this happened around the time of a large wildfire that we had in the area and part of the park burned with the fire. Could this animal have been a BLACK PANTHER>

Old 11-22-2008, 11:32 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,113,630 times
Although I am a city person, I think that even I would know the difference between a cougar and a panther. Cougars are traditionally brown or tan...panthers are black. Same with bobcats. I know that there is a bobcat skulking around Wesley Chapel; it ate one of my grandchickens.

It seems to me that panthers are indiginous to the area which is why they named the football team the "Panthers". So, I assume it is possible that one would be around. Of course, if there is one, there most likely is another...guess that it is getting too cold for them? They need something to eat? That is kind of amazing, though, being so close to people....

Old 11-23-2008, 05:13 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,458,244 times
I can't say for sure but when we moved here, Albemarle area, our neighbors told us there are Black Panthers here. There is the Uwharrie State park only 8 miles away......I have never seen one but again, my neighbors have said they have. We live in a ranch/farm area and it is very rural.............

Old 11-23-2008, 06:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,522,389 times
The Uwharrie is popular for deer hunting and other wildlife . I remember I was going to be cheap on a travel trip and sleep in my car out on one of our rural roads. I heard in the distance that cat call first thought in my head on yeah time to find a motel lol.

The deer population is around 420,000 for the Piedmont
I wouldnt want to confirm if it a black cougar, "panther" or mountain lion just hearing one is proof enough to me that isnt some house kitty and it time to bolt. And let nature be .

Old 11-23-2008, 06:38 AM

494 posts, read 1,181,396 times
I bet she saw one...I've have heard several accounts since we moved to the area a few years ago. All the sightings I have heard have been right in that same area.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:49 AM

807 posts, read 2,043,136 times
You guys had me thinking about this thread last night when I took the dog outside. As soon as I took him out he started with a low growl and some barking towards the trees like there was something out there. I was thinking this might be the first time I could out run a dog.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:56 AM
LLN

4,977 posts, read 8,727,347 times
I don't think so. Too much lore not enuf facts about panthers, cougars, etc in NC. Many of us wish they were here, but that does not make them here.

Any chance it would have been a bear? Real world bears are a) black and b) don't look a lot like caged specimens.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte