U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:01 AM

176 posts, read 469,962 times

Advertisements

If I had to choose between Charlotte or Raleigh, Charlotte would win hands down. For more information about cultural events, there is a sticky thread with things going on in November that will give you an idea of the types of things Charlotte has to offer. Just know that Charlotte is nothing like Seattle and it may be a little too tame or bland for you. Are you sure you want to move to Charlotte? I think you will be feeling some major culture shock if you move here. I absolutely love Seattle and I wouldn't want to leave if I lived there! But if you do leave, come to Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 11:13 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,987 times
The Arts and Science council has put together a nice website

Charlotte Culture Guide

I think you would enjoy living here. Yes the area is very family friendly but it isn't single exclusive. There are many childless people (singles and couples) that love living here.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:30 PM

85 posts, read 173,979 times
charlotte is a lot different than seattle but i wouldnt say that it is that big of a culture shock. is it different, of course, the south is way different than the pacific northwest but its still a big city, not as big as seattle but still big. i wouldnt call it tame either, tamer than seatle, probably, but its smaller. charlotte is still a growing city with a lot to do.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:20 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,994,546 times
- political differences between raleigh and charlotte
Raleigh is slightly more liberal (I personally don't see it but many have said this)
Charlotte is more progressive (this is very evident at first glance)

- How Charlotte demographics have changed over the last 10 years
Charlotte has grown into a city of minorities. Much larger % of minorities than Seattle
Charlotte (Meck county) Mecklenburg County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Seattle
King County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

- the relative environments for starting a healthcare business (I am in health care and my wife is a psycholgist)
100 best places to live and launch - 8: Charlotte, N.C (8) - FORTUNE Small Business

- Theatre, culture, night life - AND NOT club life, singles scene - We want to find other 'sophisticated' young to middle age professionals who care about the community, the environment, social change, sustainability, living well, yoga, eating right, etc.
North Carolina Blumenthal Performing Arts Center Home
...::: Charlotte Yoga : Life Is What You Make It :::...

- Great places in charlotte to start a health care business (affluent, clean, and upcoming areas)
Myers Park (Charlotte neighborhood) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SouthPark (Charlotte neighborhood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Ballantyne (neighborhood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

- If you were starting out in North Carolina knowing what you know about each city, where would you end up?
I would start in Charlotte. Charlotte is a pre "big city". You can get in on the ground floor before Charlotte becomes established and expensive. I honestly don't think that "big city" is Raleigh's goal.

- Any Seattalites on this post? Can you share your insights?
Sorry, I am not.

- Any Angelenos on this post? Can you share your insights?
Ditto

- Most people in Seattle are in their 30's to 40's, may or not have kids, and are pretty culturally sophisticated. They like to go out, enjoy dinner, a show. What is it like for folks in their 30's and 40's in Charlotte? Is it more subdued where folks are either young and partying playing the bar scene OR married with kids doing the domesting thing? Or do you have folks like us who are somewhere in the middle of those two extremes?

Being that you are in the middle, I think you guys will fit in well. Charlotte is known for "family" but there are a growing number of 30 and 40 something empty nesters in Charlotte that have chosen the "urban" lifestyle. These people most likely live in high density condo units near the center city neighborhoods. Many of these type of neighborhoods are cropping up around Charlotte's light rail line.

-Sorry for the long post, but wanted to get some targeted feedback unique to our situation.

Sorry it took so long for a direct answer. I hope this helps!!!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:54 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,476,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalisticDoc View Post
Why do you assume we are not "family oriented"? FYI - my family has been in Charlotte for 3 generations.

Like it or not, NC is changing. Try to keep people like us out as you may, the world is a changin'. Just think, NC might just be a blue state for the first time tomorrow .
I do not think Loves was trying to keep you away. I think more in line of keeping it more realistic for you.

Charlotte is changing your right! I suggest a week trip out here so you can see first hand.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:40 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
I do not think Loves was trying to keep you away. I think more in line of keeping it more realistic for you.

Charlotte is changing your right! I suggest a week trip out here so you can see first hand.
I have stayed out of this discussion, but noted what Loves had said - and HAD I posted earlier . . . it would have been to say almost the same exact thing she stated - that I think ATL sounds like a much more compatible fit. That in no way is a put down - just having spent time in LA (temporarily living there) and having spent time on business in Seattle . . . I would be sorely disappointed if I really loved either of those areas and moved to CLT expecting anything to be even remotely similar. ATL, however, would offer a bit more of a comparison and less of a contrast - so that is why I would suggest ATL (a city where I could also very comfortably live).

And to Vitalistic Doc: This state has been a DEM run state since the Civil War, w/ only brief periods of GOP being elected, starting in the 70s, so that is only the last 30-40 years years. So this state has been, like the rest of the South, Democrat Blue for several hundred years.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:36 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,602 times
I am reading the OP's real reason for moving to NC as for family purposes which is admirable. One reason I chose this state was for family. So I won't try to direct you to Coloado or something.

You will see a difference, which it sounds like you are prepared for. With that said, you've narrowed your options to Raleigh and Charlotte. (Not certain why people would push you to ATL, after I spent some time there, yes its big and has more than Charlotte, but my goodness that place has some issues). People are overly worried about crime and traffic here. Not that you shouldn't worry about crime, but people are in the state of panic. Being in LA though I am certain you will see what I am talking about. The stats are all out there for viewing. OUr new Police Chief though seems to be taking it head on. Traffic is a non issue here, it has it's problem spots, but other than no bike lanes and no prep its fine. Ask me that question in 10 years though.

Culture.. IMO LA and NY are #1A and #1B in US Culture/things to do, etc. probably, followed by Seattle, SF, Chicago, Boston, etc. Next rung down you have some other unique smaller cities like Austin, Tampa, I would put Charlotte on the next rung, but it's trying. The key is it is a growing and alive city, not dying. So what it is today is not what it will look like 5 years from now or 10. It will be bigger and better (hopefully). People just joining the city have the chance to make it great. Raleigh I would put one more rung down. It doesn't have much flair, but I think it is better job wise. It is also growing but city planners seem to be hell bent on making it the econmic capital, which is probably ok. Charlotte brings some uniqueness that doesn't fit everyone. NASCAR is huge and thats cool. New places sprouting uptown all the time.

- political differences between raleigh and charlotte - I dont see much, however, Charlotte and Raleigh don't really get along, the big kids on the block fighting for supremecy.

- How charlotte demographics have changed over the last 10 years - Large influx of people from everywhere. Lots of people here less than 5 years trying to figure out what they should do. More Worldwide influence.

- the relative environments for starting a healthcare business (I am in health care and my wife is a psycholgist) - Probably pretty good right now. We are seeing a more aging population with nice new communities and young families. With today's stressful environment we could all use someone to talk to. Charlotte vs. Raleigh probably offer the same here.

- Theatre, culture, night life - AND NOT club life, singles scene - We want to find other 'sophisticated' young to middle age professionals who care about the community, the environment, social change, sustainability, living well, yoga, eating right, etc. - Biggest gap compared to where you are now, but better than Raleigh, they have more singles, but neither is top notch here. There are 1 or 2 places, but not 10 to choose from. Maybe in 10 years. Heck lets start one.

- Great places in charlotte to start a health care business (affluent, clean, and upcoming areas) - North Charlotte is growing and you could hit Statesville and Huntersville/Mooreseville area. Southpark and Ballentyne. Basically North, Central or South. East and West.. meh.

- If you were starting out in North Carolina knowing what you know about each city, where would you end up? - I just went to Huntersville, I would still go there. Though Dilworth is my second choice.

- Any Seattalites on this post? Can you share your insights? - Been there, like it, but never lived there. We have more sunshine

- Any Angelenos on this post? Can you share your insights? - So different than LA.. Not even comparable in most cases. Weather, People, Buildings, Style, Culture, Beaches, etc.

- Most people in Seattle are in their 30's to 40's, may or not have kids, and are pretty culturally sophisticated. They like to go out, enjoy dinner, a show. What is it like for folks in their 30's and 40's in Charlotte? Is it more subdued where folks are either young and partying playing the bar scene OR married with kids doing the domesting thing? Or do you have folks like us who are somewhere in the middle of those two extremes? - A growing profressional scene, but there is a lacking of mid 30's urbanites in my opinion.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:34 PM

16 posts, read 32,303 times
Default Thank you

Wow - so many helpful posts. You guys are awesome. We totally get that there will be changes. THe reality of any place is this: it is the people and community that create the heart that is home.

Thank you all for the warm responses. Keep the coming if you have ideas.

UrbanCharlotte - your videos were great, and I love the enthusiasm. My wife and I were struck by you. You might not be a Buddhist, but your absolute presence in each moment with such an appreciation for whatever was in front of you was inspirational and a living example of Buddha-nature. Thank you!

Thanks again, all.

Ironically, we live in a quiet part of Seattle and when we leave town to go back home we always feel good. ATL is a short drive away, DC and NY are a short flight away.

Heck, we'll just have to help create the exact community we want to be in - welcoming, supportive, kind, fun, sustainable, aware, and connected.

We visited Raleigh some time back, but didn't "feel it." We did in Charlotte, but decided to head to the NW. So, all roads seem to lead to CLT at this point.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:44 PM

16 posts, read 32,303 times
UrbanCharlotte- thanks, I appreciate all of your posts. See my note below on your remarkable positive presence.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:13 AM

6,270 posts, read 9,994,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalisticDoc View Post
Wow - so many helpful posts. You guys are awesome. We totally get that there will be changes. THe reality of any place is this: it is the people and community that create the heart that is home.

Thank you all for the warm responses. Keep the coming if you have ideas.

UrbanCharlotte - your videos were great, and I love the enthusiasm. My wife and I were struck by you. You might not be a Buddhist, but your absolute presence in each moment with such an appreciation for whatever was in front of you was inspirational and a living example of Buddha-nature. Thank you!

Thanks again, all.

Ironically, we live in a quiet part of Seattle and when we leave town to go back home we always feel good. ATL is a short drive away, DC and NY are a short flight away.

Heck, we'll just have to help create the exact community we want to be in - welcoming, supportive, kind, fun, sustainable, aware, and connected.

We visited Raleigh some time back, but didn't "feel it." We did in Charlotte, but decided to head to the NW. So, all roads seem to lead to CLT at this point.
Thanks and you are so welcome!!! I am not a Buddhist, but I most certainly believe in Karma and achieving Nirvana!!! I am also very excited about Charlotte's "feel it" that you speak of. This city is not Seattle, but it has such potential. This potential is evident everytime my wife and I take to the streets here by train, bus, or foot. I tell everyone I know that Charlotte is the place to be if they are looking for that "it" in North Carolina. I like Raleigh a lot as a town. It is an "efficient" place to live. I prefer "bells and whistles" over "efficiency". Charlotte is growing towards true urbanity in a way that few NC cities can match. This is the "Charlotte difference". Me and my wife's videos are all about showing newcomers that "Charlotte difference". Hopefully in time, everyone will come to know the "Charlotte difference" without me saying a word. I think it will happen one day. Comments like your's are what fuels our excitement. THANKS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or