U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:29 AM

16 posts, read 31,760 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I have read numerous similar posts, but wanted to post personally as well. My wife and I left Los Angeles 1.5 years ago and debated on moving to Charlotte or Seattle. My family is in Charlotte, My wife's family is in Hilton head. Being progressive, young (early 30's), active, and connoisseurs of culture, arts, and sustainable communities. We wanted to get out of LA (crime, pollution, TOO BIG of a city, lots to do, but.....). So, we picked Seattle. I love Seattle. It has everything we could need and want. I don't even mind the weather. Its great for my work and my wife's work. She is a psychotherapist/analyst.

However, as we get older, the heart strings to family grow tighter and living 2500 miles away gets harder every year. As family health problems arise and the desire for children grows, we have made the Big decision....

So, we are moving back to NC.

Now, we visited Charlotte, Asheville, and Raleigh/Durham to see which we liked the best. My family has roots in Charlotte a couple of generations back (Dilworth area). I like it there. But, the rest of the city seemed a bit bland compared to LA and Seattle (and, indeed it is). However, it could be argued that this is, in fact, its very draw. Easy living equates to greater quality of life. Its funny to read folks on this post complain about traffic. LA and Seattle statistically have some of the worst traffic in the US. So, you might have more things, more "bells-and-whistles" but the 'enjoyment index' is lower due to logistical challenges.

So, we now that things will be different in NC. We found Asheville wonderful. Culturally, it probably resonates most with where we are at. However, I found the outlying areas to be provincial and economically depressed (Asheville also did not seem that string economically).

Charlotte, at least in my mom's neighborhood (dilworth) is great. But I am a bit concerned about cultural activities in Charlotte (international music, theatre, restaurants). Its not that I think its not there, its just that I don't know. I realy like Charlotte's very dynamic economy (pre-economic meltdown). I don't like what I have read about crime. My crime index is different - I lived in LA which is absolute crazy town with regard to gangs, violence, and aggression. Nonetheless, what I have read here concerns me about Charlotte.

Raleigh was quaint, but seemed dead. We were there on a Friday night on the main drag and wow, it was dead. I just felt no draw to raleigh. I know they have a strong stable economy with goverment, tech, medical, etc. I like that a lot.

Durham - the areas near the schools were "OK" but parts of Durham seemed pretty dumpy.

So, bascially, we are trying to decide between Charlotte and Raleigh.

Any and all help I can get from members would be greatly welcomed. Any information on the following is great:

- political differences between raleigh and charlotte
- How charlotte demographics have changed over the last 10 years
- the relative environments for starting a healthcare business (I am in health care and my wife is a psycholgist)
- Theatre, culture, night life - AND NOT club life, singles scene - We want to find other 'sophisticated' young to middle age professionals who care about the community, the environment, social change, sustainability, living well, yoga, eating right, etc.
- Great places in charlotte to start a health care business (affluent, clean, and upcoming areas)
- If you were starting out in North Carolina knowing what you know about each city, where would you end up?
- Any Seattalites on this post? Can you share your insights?
- Any Angelenos on this post? Can you share your insights?
- Most people in Seattle are in their 30's to 40's, may or not have kids, and are pretty culturally sophisticated. They like to go out, enjoy dinner, a show. What is it like for folks in their 30's and 40's in Charlotte? Is it more subdued where folks are either young and partying playing the bar scene OR married with kids doing the domesting thing? Or do you have folks like us who are somewhere in the middle of those two extremes?

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to get some targeted feedback unique to our situation.

Kind regards, MRL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 05:34 PM

85 posts, read 171,081 times
there is plenty to do in charlotte. if your looking for theatres to see plays i recommend the blumenthal performing arts center(not sure if thats the exact name) uptown. has lots of broadway plays, etc. there are a lot of fun neighborhoods that are anything but bland. places like noda, uptown, southend, dilworth, elizabeth have very artsy, fun feel to them.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:25 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,530,575 times
Charlotte area has it all. Besides, if you get homesick for Seattle, grab Jet Blue of Air Tran. There are always specials available. Flights are direct. Remember, Charlotte is smaller than Seattle so don't expect Seattle if you come here. Some people can't grasp the concept.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:39 AM

6,249 posts, read 9,658,342 times
VitalisticDoc

Hi, and thanks for considering a move to NC!!! You are correct about Charlotte and Raleigh. The urbanity of these areas fall extremely short of LA and Seattle. I have seen both places you speak of. As a matter of fact, I used to drive from Fontana Ca, through Seattle enroute to Everett to pick up a load of paper towels (I am a trucker). I will say that there is an urban effort in Charlotte (still a very small effort by LA and Seattle standards).

In our spare time, my wife and I take videos of Charlotte's growing urban side. You may see "a suburban" style and look in these videos of urban Charlotte, but it is what Charlotte has to offer. I think you might enjoy them however. At any rate, they will at least get you familiar with more than just Dilworth. Enjoy!!!

This is the typical night life on the weekends

YouTube - urban charlotte

This is Charlotte's growing number of urban infills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T2_WrcHDTk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO9evN8ePKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXWEbYV32MA

This is the youtube page with all 56 Urban Charlotte Videos
YouTube - urbancharlotte's Channel

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-02-2008 at 07:49 AM..

Old 11-03-2008, 06:26 AM

327 posts, read 1,033,516 times
I've lived on and off in Charlotte for about 10 years now, and spent 3 years in Greenville, NC. Charlotte and raleigh are pretty different. I'd say that Charlotte is more conservative than Raleigh and has more "Southern heritage" still in tact. Both areas have been bombarded by northern transplants. Raleigh is bigger in the bio-tech industry, Charlotte in the banking industry. Charlotte has more of an urban feel to it with the way the uptown area was designed. Raleigh benefits from having NC State in the city and Chapel Hill/Duke nearby in terms of cultural amenities.

If its an upscale, progressive scene you're looking for, I'd suggest Southpark area of Charlotte. If you're looking for a bit more edgy/artsy, I'd recommend Plaza/Midwood. Dilworth is a great area, but becoming more family oriented and less married-couple-30-something. Either way, I'd recommend Charlotte over Raleigh, but that's just my opinion. There is plenty to do here with the Carolina Opera, the Broadway Lights Series, concerts , and professional sports.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:10 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,342,378 times
Charlotte has more of an urban feel. Raleigh is by far more rural. Although this is not Seattle when it comes to arts and culture, Charlotte is trying to catch up, and all the Northern transplants are tranforming the city into a more open and sophisticated area.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:46 AM

45,270 posts, read 86,082,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalisticDoc View Post
Hello:

I have read numerous similar posts, but wanted to post personally as well. My wife and I left Los Angeles 1.5 years ago and debated on moving to Charlotte or Seattle. My family is in Charlotte, My wife's family is in Hilton head. Being progressive, young (early 30's), active, and connoisseurs of culture, arts, and sustainable communities. We wanted to get out of LA (crime, pollution, TOO BIG of a city, lots to do, but.....). So, we picked Seattle. I love Seattle. It has everything we could need and want. I don't even mind the weather. Its great for my work and my wife's work. She is a psychotherapist/analyst.

However, as we get older, the heart strings to family grow tighter and living 2500 miles away gets harder every year. As family health problems arise and the desire for children grows, we have made the Big decision....

So, we are moving back to NC.

Now, we visited Charlotte, Asheville, and Raleigh/Durham to see which we liked the best. My family has roots in Charlotte a couple of generations back (Dilworth area). I like it there. But, the rest of the city seemed a bit bland compared to LA and Seattle (and, indeed it is). However, it could be argued that this is, in fact, its very draw. Easy living equates to greater quality of life. Its funny to read folks on this post complain about traffic. LA and Seattle statistically have some of the worst traffic in the US. So, you might have more things, more "bells-and-whistles" but the 'enjoyment index' is lower due to logistical challenges.

So, we now that things will be different in NC. We found Asheville wonderful. Culturally, it probably resonates most with where we are at. However, I found the outlying areas to be provincial and economically depressed (Asheville also did not seem that string economically).

Charlotte, at least in my mom's neighborhood (dilworth) is great. But I am a bit concerned about cultural activities in Charlotte (international music, theatre, restaurants). Its not that I think its not there, its just that I don't know. I realy like Charlotte's very dynamic economy (pre-economic meltdown). I don't like what I have read about crime. My crime index is different - I lived in LA which is absolute crazy town with regard to gangs, violence, and aggression. Nonetheless, what I have read here concerns me about Charlotte.

Raleigh was quaint, but seemed dead. We were there on a Friday night on the main drag and wow, it was dead. I just felt no draw to raleigh. I know they have a strong stable economy with goverment, tech, medical, etc. I like that a lot.

Durham - the areas near the schools were "OK" but parts of Durham seemed pretty dumpy.

So, bascially, we are trying to decide between Charlotte and Raleigh.

Any and all help I can get from members would be greatly welcomed. Any information on the following is great:

- political differences between raleigh and charlotte
- How charlotte demographics have changed over the last 10 years
- the relative environments for starting a healthcare business (I am in health care and my wife is a psycholgist)
- Theatre, culture, night life - AND NOT club life, singles scene - We want to find other 'sophisticated' young to middle age professionals who care about the community, the environment, social change, sustainability, living well, yoga, eating right, etc.
- Great places in charlotte to start a health care business (affluent, clean, and upcoming areas)
- If you were starting out in North Carolina knowing what you know about each city, where would you end up?
- Any Seattalites on this post? Can you share your insights?
- Any Angelenos on this post? Can you share your insights?
- Most people in Seattle are in their 30's to 40's, may or not have kids, and are pretty culturally sophisticated. They like to go out, enjoy dinner, a show. What is it like for folks in their 30's and 40's in Charlotte? Is it more subdued where folks are either young and partying playing the bar scene OR married with kids doing the domesting thing? Or do you have folks like us who are somewhere in the middle of those two extremes?

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to get some targeted feedback unique to our situation.

Kind regards, MRL
Really, I don't think NC is for you. While we have many cultural events and venues, we pride ourselves on being "family oriented" first and foremost. I fear we would never measure up to your expectations, though we are quite content to remain the kind of place we are.

Check out Atlanta.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:01 AM

2,359 posts, read 3,302,184 times
Charlotte to me seems more progressive than Raleigh. First of all, the planning has done a superb job recently of focusing on densifying both Uptown and several surrounding areas like Southend, Dilworth, NODA, and Plaza-Midwood. Even Southpark is doing that pretty well. Also, Charlotte gets it, with the Lynx Light Rail. Hopefully, they can start building the next few lines and quicken the pace b/c it's been proven w/ the Blue Line that the citizenry is hungry for alternative means of transportation. Obviously, there's no comparison to LA or even Seattle in as far as the arts and cultural activities, and international flair but, it is beginning to develop some decent scenes. I think you'd be much happier in the much larger Charlotte area than in the highly spread out, very much suburban Raleigh-Durham area. If you want cookie cutter sprawlburbia though, Charlotte offers that too in areas like Ballantyne or anywhere up around Lake Norman.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:04 AM

2,359 posts, read 3,302,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
VitalisticDoc

Hi, and thanks for considering a move to NC!!! You are correct about Charlotte and Raleigh. The urbanity of these areas fall extremely short of LA and Seattle. I have seen both places you speak of. As a matter of fact, I used to drive from Fontana Ca, through Seattle enroute to Everett to pick up a load of paper towels (I am a trucker). I will say that there is an urban effort in Charlotte (still a very small effort by LA and Seattle standards).

In our spare time, my wife and I take videos of Charlotte's growing urban side. You may see "a suburban" style and look in these videos of urban Charlotte, but it is what Charlotte has to offer. I think you might enjoy them however. At any rate, they will at least get you familiar with more than just Dilworth. Enjoy!!!

This is the typical night life on the weekends

This is Charlotte's growing number of urban infills

This is the youtube page with all 56 Urban Charlotte Videos
YouTube - urbancharlotte's Channel

Great job UrbanCharlotte, have you filmed areas of 4th ward, Southend along the Light Rail, and areas like Plaza Midwood, Cotswold, & Elizabeth Ave around Presbatyrean Hospital yet? Also, check out the NC Music Factory too. That will be another great entertainment area in Uptown, though it's a bit out of the way.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:24 AM

6,249 posts, read 9,658,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Great job UrbanCharlotte, have you filmed areas of 4th ward, Southend along the Light Rail, and areas like Plaza Midwood, Cotswold, & Elizabeth Ave around Presbatyrean Hospital yet? Also, check out the NC Music Factory too. That will be another great entertainment area in Uptown, though it's a bit out of the way.
South End

Noda

Plaza Midwood

Dilworth

Elizabeth/Hawthorne

NC Music Factory, 4th ward, and lots more is coming soon!!!
I have a new "high quality" camera so I will be getting better videos and sound quality in the future!!!

I will say that there is lots of new urbanity in Charlotte so I will be a very busy man LOL!!! I enjoy it!!! Thanks for the "Urban Charlotte" love and any more suggestions from anyone on where to record, feel free to pipe in at any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or