U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:43 PM

693 posts, read 1,958,353 times

Advertisements

I was out for about 90 minutes...when I came back I had, 2 Obama fliers left on my door, and on my answering machine:

3 live people calling about Obama
1 scary recording from a "non-partisan" right to life organization (5 minutes of who votes yay/nay for issues)
1 recording from Kay Hagan

I like the fact that there are so many live callers this year... it shows people are inspired enough to volunteer. I have been pleasantly surprised at how many people are out in the neighborhoods canvasing.

I think it is totally awesome how hard everyone is working on this election. This is democracy in action and its fantastic! Folks, its only once every four years...why get annoyed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 12:50 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
I was out for about 90 minutes...when I came back I had, 2 Obama fliers left on my door, and on my answering machine:

1 scary recording from a "non-partisan" right to life organization (5 minutes of who votes yay/nay for issues)

I like the fact that there are so many live callers this year... it shows people are inspired enough to volunteer.

I think it is totally awesome how hard everyone is working on this election. This is democracy in action and its fantastic! Folks, its only once every four years...why get annoyed?
I think you have a wonderful attitude - and you are obviously much more forebearing than I am!!! For me . . . I find the phone calls annoying.

I agree - it is good to see so many people involved - but wanting to help out w/ canvassing doesn't have to include calling my phone. Just put some fliers out if you feel you have to do something. At least that way I don't feel so interrupted. Or work at the polling places or help out some way in your precinct . . .

I mean - the phone calls - all I do is hang up on the robo calls . . . I find it an invasion of my privacy . . . I wonder if anyone ever really listens to the calls cause everyone I know hangs up . . . ?????

Old 11-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 14 days ago)

5,621 posts, read 6,703,104 times
I feel like I must have won the do-not-call lottery for this political season. I've had Vonage for about three years. I still have my old NJ number and a $4.99 a month extra phantom NC number. I have not gotten 1 phone call from any of the political parties and politicians in either state. I'm also on the do-not-call list too! Something worked well for me this year!

Old 11-03-2008, 12:58 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I feel like I must have won the do-not-call lottery for this political season. I've had Vonage for about three years. I still have my old NJ number and a $4.99 a month extra phantom NC number. I have not gotten 1 phone call from any of the political parties and politicians in either state. I'm also on the do-not-call list too! Something worked well for me this year!
Okay, Em, you have checked to make sure you really are registered, right????

Old 11-03-2008, 01:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,632,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

see post number 7

Old 11-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 14 days ago)

5,621 posts, read 6,703,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
ani - I voted last week! It took less than 10 minutes at the Monroe Public Library. Easy voting and no phone calls - is this a great state? You bet your bippy it is!

Old 11-03-2008, 02:17 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,102,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post

I like the fact that there are so many live callers this year... it shows people are inspired enough to volunteer. I have been pleasantly surprised at how many people are out in the neighborhoods canvasing.

Thank you!!! I have been doing door-to-door canvassing and phone calls for a presidential candidate (won't say who to avoid that whole debate, lol). In general most people have been very kind, courteous and receptive to both the calls and visits. In fact, the calls and canvassing have really given me more faith in people to be polite to strangers regardless of partisanship!

What I am most proud of isn't that I'm helping my candidate win (although I hope he does) but that I helped a lot of people learn about registering, early voting, their polling location, and resources to find out more about the candidates. If you are annoyed by the calls, just know that many other people are thankful for someone personally contacting them and helping them with any questions or concerns they have about voting or the candidates.

I find the robo calls to be kind of useless, usually they don't give any info that you couldn't learn from turning on the tv or reading the paper. And, frankly, I would rather have someone call me than have more junk political mail... "vote Obama!" "vote McCain!" great, how does that help anyone decide?

But sorry if I called any of you during dinner!

Old 11-03-2008, 02:25 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,399,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
OK they are starting to drive me nut's with all the phone calls.

I have already voted!!!!!!!!

Oh and if I decided to vote for the least number of phone calls I would be voting democrat by approx 4 to 1.
Is it possible to ask them to put you on the "Do not call" list?

Old 11-03-2008, 02:28 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,102,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Is it possible to ask them to put you on the "Do not call" list?
For the campaign I was working for, if someone said they didn't want calls we had them taken off the list. They don't "have" to take you off the list, and with mostly volunteers I don't know if this actually happened, but in general you should've been removed.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:28 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,676,518 times
I am not home enough for them to bother me, but I know my answering machine works. Almost thought my friends started calling me at home as I have asked them too. But these people are not my friends! I don't mind so much, this is huge, this the peak time at the most important decision many of us will make in the next 4 years. I just wish they would say, "Hey I am Obama, let me tell you what I like and will do.. or "Hi I am Sarah, I think these are what I want to see happen" Not.. did you know so and so did this and this and that.. BAH!..

Also, as Sunny has stated, the Do Not Call system does not block political calls or charities. if a charity repeatidly calls you can tell them to stop and they should. I don't like the firefighter police one, always make me feel guilty or like they will not help me if I am on fire!.. Just show me a boot and I will through a $20 in.. geez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or