U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:44 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,814,156 times

Advertisements

I've asked for a kindle. I'm a huge book person so that would be perfect for me. The bf is getting a gift card to his fav hobby store and some shirts. Family is getting gift cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,661,834 times
Default well

I know we are getting a wii and I bought a flat screen tv for our guest room. Dh will probably get me books and a small piece of jewelery. I also want one of those vac sweepers and new boots. I got my husband a membership to Monroe Aquatics and some swimming gear.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:05 PM

7,104 posts, read 9,696,488 times
I'm pretty impressed with you folks that are this far ahead in your planning.
Heck, I don't even know what I'm having for dinner tonite. Keep up the good work. I like being part of a community that knows what they're doing.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:35 PM

26 posts, read 48,545 times
My daughter's gratitude for the wonderful life she has been given.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:48 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,032,227 times
I will be honest.
Through the years I have lived some amazing Christmases:
Sunning in Cancun, skiing in Banff, Zermatt, Chamonix, or Davos, relaxing in London, Paris, Salzburg, or Vienna.

This year is kids only.
Baby Jesus received three gifts and that is all my children will receive.

My children were not around in the great times (cars, exotic trips), so this year (and last) we have cut WAY back.
I'm just happy to still be gainfully employed, the economy is in the toilet.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:05 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,866,985 times
I saw this in another forum and found the concept intriguing...especially the part about how folks last year spent $450 billion on Christmas, and that with $10 billion, we could provide clean water for the world. Hmmm...makes you rethink your priorities, huh? I'm thinking of rallying my family to forgo the trival-trinkets and pull together for the greater good.

Advent Conspiracy

Old 11-20-2008, 12:14 PM

973 posts, read 2,966,315 times
Hubby and I are cutting way back this year on gift giving.

I would like a nice digital photo frame to display all the pretty pics we've taken in the last year.

He wants an NFL jacket.

The rest of the family will have the sheer joy of seeing us after we drive nine hours to Ohio to see them for the holidays.
I'm sure they'd prefer a gift. LOL!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 01:34 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
DH and I are not giving each other tangible gifts this year. DH is taking some time off so we can spend some time together just enjoying each other's company - the best gift of all!!! DH's b/day is in a week and I found him a tree pruner on sale at Lowes, LOL. (He has wanted it so he will be pleased).

For family and friends - I have been buying things during the year - when items were marked down on sale. This way, we can give nice gifts but w/o spending a chunk of money at the last minute. For my parents, we are giving them a used Mac laptop, and we purchased a Lexmark printer/fax/scanner to go with it, along w/ a Lowe's gift card, since my Dad loves his home projects.

DS will get $$ as he needs the cash (student) as well as some clothing and gift certificates to restaurants. He collects Civil War memorabilia, so we found an item to add to his collection.

We are not creating debt this year at Christmas. The bulk of buying has been completed. Any other money we spend will be a modest donation to the Salvation Army, something we do every year.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:49 PM

693 posts, read 1,954,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Gift giving will we slim to none for us this year - my husband has been out of work for 5 months.
Loves, I didn't know. I'm sorry and will be sending you good vibes.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:57 PM

693 posts, read 1,954,044 times
Usually for Chrismakkuh we buy ourselves one big present to share and or take a trip. Most hotels offer great deals on christmas eve and day so we usually go away for 3-4 night mini-vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte