U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-04-2008, 07:48 PM

106 posts, read 246,956 times

Advertisements

The article doesn't make it seem as bad as it either is or could be.

Banking blues hit Charlotte - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 08:21 PM

1,671 posts, read 4,182,156 times
Charlotte is suffering but not as much as other cities. The banking industry is a major source of income for a large portion of Charlotte. It does seep into other companies and the surrounding businesses, which encompasses certain communities. We are feeling a trickle down affect, but its not as bad as it could be. If we continue to suffer, it will trickle down more and more. Those who business work closely with the banks definitely feel the crunch. It would be at least 2010, before the banks begin to make the some of the loans of the heydays. Everything at this point is being handled delicately with care. Until banks start lending (responsibly) we will see decline in housing, restaurants, hotel, hospitality industry and etc.

Many people I know of has left NC and NY for other states with jobs, especially the lawyers and middle and upper level bankers. I know of support staff who are looking into DC and Atlanta for jobs. So, yes its' scary out here. I drove around Charlotte for 3 hours on Sunday and saw many homes for sale. It is eerie...

Old 11-05-2008, 09:11 AM

246 posts, read 471,071 times
I really don't think it's going to be that bad... it will be a long time before Wells makes any major decisions on what happens to Wachovia, and even then I bet they stay hands-off for the most part.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:23 AM

8,521 posts, read 10,379,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aag-charlotte View Post
I really don't think it's going to be that bad... it will be a long time before Wells makes any major decisions on what happens to Wachovia, and even then I bet they stay hands-off for the most part.
No one knows what's going to happen (except insiders) and the timeframe its going to happen (between Wells-Wachovia). We can only hope that its as smooth of a transition as can be.

Things are already falling apart. All the construction uptown was planned and started on before the downturn hit. Look at the new permits issued...very little....bad sign. Don't even ask about residential.....

Its going to take a long time for things to shake out commercially (and residentially) in the area... which is not a bad thing over the long term....in the next few years things will be bad IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: