U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2008, 07:44 PM

Location: Currently in Las Vegas. Interested in moving to Charlotte area.
9 posts, read 18,836 times

Advertisements

I am considering a relocation around Memorial Day 2009 to the Charlotte area with my wife and three children, ages 10, 7, and 3. We have lived in Las Vegas since 2001 and my reasons for wishing to move from Las Vegas mainly center around Clark Countyís poor public school system and a desire to live in a place better suited to raise a family. However, a big consideration is what type of salary I can get in the Charlotte area and I have no idea what to expect. Following is a little information about me.
I am a self-starting attorney who comes from an immediate and extended family that includes seven medical doctors, three lawyers, and a fortune 500 regional vice president. I was raised, and in turn raise my family, to have integrity, to work hard, and to finish the job. As a lawyer I believe in giving my clientís an honest opinion. A local judge routinely states in court that I inform my clientís what they need to know, not what they want to hear. My clientís have always seemed to appreciate this as it often times helps them more timely conclude their matter which in turns saves them money. It also allows me to sleep good at night.
I was first licensed to practice law in New Jersey in the year 2000 and then in Nevada in the year 2001. I have extensive experience in all aspects of family law which involves being in court many times of the week and often times every day of the week. I also have considerable experience in the personal injury field and some experience in general civil litigation, including in the federal court, and some experience in reviewing and drafting contracts. I have prepared for and conducted numerous trials.
I believe in community service and Iím proud to say that for almost five years I have been donating my time to a local fatherís rights group by attending their weekly Tuesday evening meeting and discussing Nevada law as it pertains to their various family law issues (please donít characterize me as only an advocate for fatherís as my client base is comprised of both sexes). I have also coached and have helped raise money for numerous youth sports teams, and I am the Secretary for a local USA Wrestling youth wrestling Association.
I seek a position in the legal field either as in-house counsel or with a medium sized firm with a general civil litigation practice.
Any information about job opportunities, expected salary range, and/or referrals to a good head-hunter would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 09:54 PM

19,828 posts, read 56,079,330 times
For many licensed professionals, discussing fees charged is considered price fixing and can get you in deep do-do. Not sure how salary fits into that, as it is tied into fees charged - you can't make the salary if you don't charge the fees.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:12 AM

509 posts, read 1,645,423 times
The Charlotte legal market is overrun with attorneys looking for jobs right now. There have been pretty big layoffs of attorneys. The few inhouse positions up for grabs have been getting hundreds of resumes. Almost no firm is hiring laterals without a big book of business. Firms are scaling back their entry-level hiring significantly.

This is a tough market right now, and there is a lot of competition. Not saying you won't find a job, I don't know you, how you interview, etc., but there are many, many local qualified attorneys pounding the pavement right now, so you will be joining quite a crowd.

Also, family law here is considered quite specialized and it is difficult for family law attorneys to shift practices to an inhouse position or a general lit. practice.

GT

Old 11-05-2008, 07:23 AM

66 posts, read 322,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlTravels View Post
The Charlotte legal market is overrun with attorneys looking for jobs right now. There have been pretty big layoffs of attorneys. The few inhouse positions up for grabs have been getting hundreds of resumes. Almost no firm is hiring laterals without a big book of business. Firms are scaling back their entry-level hiring significantly.

This is a tough market right now, and there is a lot of competition. Not saying you won't find a job, I don't know you, how you interview, etc., but there are many, many local qualified attorneys pounding the pavement right now, so you will be joining quite a crowd.

Also, family law here is considered quite specialized and it is difficult for family law attorneys to shift practices to an inhouse position or a general lit. practice.

GT

I agree with everything stated above.
Contact Special Counsel recruiting firm and ask them to give you a feel for the Charlotte market.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:15 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,137,084 times
Please read the many, many posts concerning the job market and other items of interest concerning relocation. Now is not a good time. You might want to wait a few years until everything settles down.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:40 AM

693 posts, read 1,958,491 times
From what I am hearing lawyers who would have otherwise been associates are resorting to taking paralegal jobs at admin salaries. So... not a great market. However, we need teachers and with a Juris Doctorate you may be able to find work as a teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte