U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 12:27 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,668,622 times

Advertisements

to put little kids toys in the backyard and to get a little yappy dog we won't be doing either but just a suggestion.

I just try to keep the alarm set at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 06:59 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,624,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison to Charlotte View Post
Im sure this topic has been covered before but I thought it would be important to share with others so that they can be more vigilant and always on the alert. We hear about home invasions in Charlotte all too often now. And honestly there was a part of me that believed it would not happen to me. It didnt happen to me but it did happened to my sister (which is like happening to me) yesterday...while she was home!

My sister works as a school teacher so it's not her routine to be home during the day. However, school was out yesterday and my sister was home. She lives in SW Charlotte (Steele Creek). The doorbell rang around 2:30 yesterday. She didnt think anything of it. She looked out the window and saw a man at her door and noticed that he had parked his black SUV in her driveway (red flag). Anyway...she assumed he was a solicitor or just at the wrong home. He ranged the door bell a couple more time very forcefully (red flag). Then he started pounding on the door (red flag). But eventually he did start to walk away from the door. She noticed that he was on his cell. She said she assumed he was talking to the person whom's house he was trying to find. She just thought it was a case of someone at the wrong house. So naturally, she returned to whatever she was doing thinking he was leaving. As she started to walk towards the back of the house she heard what sounded like glass shattering. At that moment she grabbed her cell and ran to hide in the bedroom closet. She attempted to dial 911 several times but the phone would not connect! It just kept beeping and displayed "Emergency Call" on the screen. So she frantically called her husband telling him to come home. She remained in the closet b/c she didnt know if this man was in her house and if so, where in the house. Twenty mins later her husband arrived home to find the front door completely off the hinges. This thug had kicked in the front door so forcefully that it landed half way inside the house. What my sister thought was glass breaking was the front door being kicked in. Thank goodness she wasnt hurt. The thug did take her purse which was located at the bottom of the steps right at the entrance. We think that once he entered the house, he realized someone was home b/c the TV was on, the lights were on, the microwave had just finished cooking food so he probably smelled that, and he probably heard my sister's cell phone beeping every time she attempted to dial 911.

This is so unfortunate b/c the reality is that the chances of this person(s) being caught is slim to none. The police officer told my sister that instead of ignoring him, hoping he would leave, she should have talked to him through the door, letting him know someone was home.

It's such a sad state when we cant even be comfortable and feel safe in our own homes. To have to always be in a 'state of alert' is unfortunate. I just wanted to share b/c if you see any of the red flags that happened to her...CALL 911. It's better to be safe than sorry.
WHY can't this ever happen to a homeowner (and some of you know who you are!) with their Mossberg shotguns at the ready? Sad as it is to say, until some of these thugs get shot they are going to keep rolling right over the rest of us.

Thank God your sister is okay.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 17 days ago)

5,624 posts, read 6,707,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
WHY can't this ever happen to a homeowner (and some of you know who you are!) with their Mossberg shotguns at the ready? Sad as it is to say, until some of these thugs get shot they are going to keep rolling right over the rest of us.

Thank God your sister is okay.
loves - I think you'll like the way "Captain Kirk" handles the bad guy!

YouTube - Captain Kirk "Shatner" on gun control!

Old 11-05-2008, 09:46 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,624,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
loves - I think you'll like the way "Captain Kirk" handles the bad guy!

YouTube - Captain Kirk "Shatner" on gun control!
Thanks Em, I'm chuckling more than you would believe! Good one!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:45 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,103,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Lowe's sells these adjustable bars that have a plastic, two-prong "fork" on one end and a rubber foot on the other. You wedge the bar inbetween the doorhandle and the floor (with the fork on either side of the doorhandle shaft). They're ~$20 and make the door much harder to kick in.

I'm very sorry to hear this, but I'm glad your sister is OK.

Do they have an alarm?
Thanks for the tip about the bar things, I will be buying them.

That story is so frightening, I of course always keep my doors and windows locked, but I have worried about someone busting through anyways.... I try to tell myself I'm being paranoid but stories like that tell me I'm just being aware. I hope your sister is ok, I think if that were me it would take a long time to feel comfortable in my home again.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:28 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,227,457 times
Loves - when I first read Madison's story, I was thinking . . . hmmmm . . . how many closets in this county would have had at least ONE very effective weapon in them . . . and instead of dialing 911 and getting NOTHING . . . the homeowner could be locking and loading.

So you were not the only person thinking this . . . In fact, it made me think about new places to stash firearms and ammo . . .

Old 11-06-2008, 06:13 AM

14,131 posts, read 20,915,849 times
WOW I'm really sorry this happened to your sister and do hope she comes through it ok.

FYI-I have firearms on both floors for just in case moments!

Old 11-06-2008, 07:44 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,139,703 times
Yes, let's all shoot people and have gun fights in our homes so that we can (of course) shoot and kill MORE people. (PLEASE note the sarcasam)

What makes you think that the thug does NOT have a gun? He is most likely more experienced than you and will kill YOU before you can even get the first shot out.

That is absolutely a ridiculous thought.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:05 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,796,278 times
What a dreadful experience for anyone...glad to hear your sister's OK.

Cell phones are a wonderful thing, but they don't always work when you need them to. Unfortunately there are dead zones where calls will either not connect or they will drop after a connection is made, that's why your sister didn't get through to 911, it was her cell phone. Also, cell phone calls to 911 generally go to the closest tower & might not be in your 911 area, so the call would have to be relayed (I know they are working to correct this technology). If your local 911 has the enhancement system, if you use a landline, cordless or not, your location will show up on the 911 operator's screen & they can dispatch the police to your location, even if you can't speak.

BxRosie

Old 11-06-2008, 08:06 AM

314 posts, read 1,027,809 times
Aren't there strikeplates you can install in your exterior doors to keep people from kicking them in? I believe I've seen them somewhere. They are a long plate that screws into your door frame that reinforces the part that tears apart when kicked in. They say it's nearly impossible to kick in the door with that thing installed.

Also, I see the point in being concerned that starting a shootout doesn't do anything cause more people to die. Not to sound like a heartless bastard though, you would think that the criminals would be surprised by this and wouldn't expect to be shot. Thus making their "experience" in shootouts fairly null, in that when they kick in the door, someone comes into the room and shoots them. I'm sure you wouldn't give them a warning, and ask them to get fortified behind the couch first. Someone kicks in the door, you get your gun, come into the room and blow the guy away. Two things happen then. First, this particular guy is not going to bother anyone else. Second, if this happens enough times, criminals are going to think twice about breaking into people's homes if they think that the owner might home and might be packin' heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte