U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:18 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,745,866 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry that this happened to your sister. I hope she recovers emotionally someday soon.

I was wondering about NC law when it comes to shooting intruders. You're all talking like it's OK, but is it?

Also, some of you are mentioning various devices that attach on the doors to guard from break-ins, do any of these have names? (I can just imagine myself walking into Lowe's and asking for the dohicky that does this and that.) Also, how do you guard against a break in by broken window? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 08:34 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,102,313 times
I have security windows that were installed that cannot be broken. They were expensive, but, worth it. The only other option is bars which makes me feel like I am in jail.

I also lived in one of the worst neighbourhoods in Chicago and can guarantee that when these kinds of thugs kick in a door, they do it with their weapons drawn. You show up around the corner and...POP...you won't even have time to think before you are dead. They are looking for easy loot and if you are in the way...well, too bad.

Prevention comes in the form of NOISE. They do not want to be heard. That is why large, barking dogs work as do televisions or radios blaring from different rooms. Alarms can be cut and most do. You should all see the piece that was on WBTV last night with the warnings from an actual burglar.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:40 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
I'm so sorry that this happened to your sister. I hope she recovers emotionally someday soon.

I was wondering about NC law when it comes to shooting intruders. You're all talking like it's OK, but is it?

Also, some of you are mentioning various devices that attach on the doors to guard from break-ins, do any of these have names? (I can just imagine myself walking into Lowe's and asking for the dohicky that does this and that.) Also, how do you guard against a break in by broken window? Any ideas?
When someone forces their way into your home and you feel threatened, you have the right to defend yourself. Why in the world would this NOT be okay???

Old 11-06-2008, 08:45 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison to Charlotte View Post
He ranged the door bell a couple more time very forcefully (red flag). Then he started pounding on the door (red flag). But eventually he did start to walk away from the door. She noticed that he was on his cell. She said she assumed he was talking to the person whom's house he was trying to find.
I stumbled across this post and thought I'd share some thoughts on this (sorry to hear about your sister's ordeal by the way).

Here in Atlanta, this is a common tactic that gang-bangers use to scope out homes. Sometimes they're pro burglars, many times gangster wannabes. This happened to ME, about four months ago. I just happened to go home early that day from work. At around 1:30pm or so, a young guy in his 20s started ringing my door bell. He had dreds, but was otherwise well dressed. I initially didn't answer, but as he walked away, I saw him get on his cell phone, so I then walked outside. His story was that he worked for a yard company and they were lining up customers. He had no business card or flier. And they were looking for customers at 1:30pm on a work day (??). I noticed through the window that twice more, he got on his cell phone at he walked away from neighbors.

I called the police, who arrived in two minutes. Found out later that they caught up with him on the next street and took him in for questioning. Not sure about the outcome of that, but I was informed then by the police that this is the most common way that people like this to "line up" burglaries. They come to your home usually between 10am and 3pm, and knock/ring - then inform their friends who are usually nearby if there's no answer. Don't ignore them if they knock/ring - it's best to at least yell through your closed door that you can't answer, your spouse is asleep, etc etc.. to throw them off. And yes, call police so they can investigate if people are knocking on your door on weekdays during those hours - even if they look like a boy scout.

Other tips:

1) Put longer screws in your lock plates - it makes them harder to kick in. Keep doors and windows locked. Don't put things like purses / laptops near windows where they are visible if someone looks in.

2) Don't invest in dogs JUST for security. Here, there's a sick but growing trend for burglars to steal larger dogs from homes to sell to Pit Bull fighter/breeders - they shoot the aggressive dogs, and steal the smaller dogs as Pit "bait" in fighting rings. Yes, really. A good, monitored security system is best, with visible signage on the doors and windows. If you have the money, invest in a camera system (Costco and Sams have reasonably priced ones) - they don't seem to keep people here from coming in, but they do aid in their being caught later at least.

3) If you have a garage door, keep it closed. Makes it harder for people to know if you're home or not, and to gain entry via the garage door.

4) Talk to a local glass/window company about getting "impact resistant film" for your windows, or, search online for do-it-yourself stuff. It makes it much harder to bust through the glass.

Hope she can mentally get over what happened. It'll take time. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:46 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,814,156 times
Mommy-When someone is entering my property against my will and putting my life and my families life in danger, I will shoot and kill them anyday. Its my life or theirs and it ain't going to be mine. Obviously their life isn't so great if they are breaking into peoples houses in the first place.

Chicago-You have no idea of how skilled I/we are with our firearms so stop assuming we don't know what we are doing.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:50 AM

630 posts, read 1,674,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Yes, let's all shoot people and have gun fights in our homes so that we can (of course) shoot and kill MORE people. (PLEASE note the sarcasam)

What makes you think that the thug does NOT have a gun? He is most likely more experienced than you and will kill YOU before you can even get the first shot out.

That is absolutely a ridiculous thought.
You might be surprised. Most thugs don't go to the range and target shoot or practice. They think having a gun and pointing it in the general direction of a person means they will hit them. I doubt if they even check the sights. Even with a shotgun you have to aim it. If you have your firearm ready and are taking aim at the doorway they will come through (closet in this case) they would have to be extremely good to find the target (you) take aim and fire, before you can pull the trigger. Having the upper hand and knowing the lay of the land (your home) is your biggest advantage.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:57 AM

630 posts, read 1,674,216 times
Also make sure to change out the screws in your hinges. My builder cheaped out and used crappy 1 inch screws in the hinges. If kicked, the door would break off at the hinges (which sounds like what happened to your sister). I used 3 1/2" screws in place of them. Beefing up the strike plate is important too.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:23 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,745,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
When someone forces their way into your home and you feel threatened, you have the right to defend yourself. Why in the world would this NOT be okay???
I wasn't saying that it's not OK, I was just asking what the legal view was on the subject. What are the specifics?

If someone was trying to get in, but still outside and you shoot them, are you justified in the eyes of the law? Or does the person have to come in first? Does the person need to be armed?

I'm not yay or nay, just curious as to NC law on the matter.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:35 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
I wasn't saying that it's not OK, I was just asking what the legal view was on the subject. What are the specifics?

If someone was trying to get in, but still outside and you shoot them, are you justified in the eyes of the law? Or does the person have to come in first? Does the person need to be armed?

I'm not yay or nay, just curious as to NC law on the matter.
We had a police officer tell our neighborhood watch group one time that if you feel threatened and shoot the invader but he's just outside your home, drag him into the home just to be sure you're covered! Now, he was joking, but his point was when you shoot someone IN YOUR HOME you are justified by law, but it gets a bit more complicated if you just shoot them on your property, unless you are outside with them when they threaten you.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:43 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Hey, MommyV!

My understanding is . . . if someone breaks into your home and threatens you, you have the right to defend yourself. Key word here is "threatens." I guess if they kick down the door, see you standing there w/ a gun and throw their hands up in the air and say "Don't shoot! I am leaving!" and they turn around and run, then you best not shoot them. Otherwise, I would assume that should someone kick down my door, I would feel very threatened, especially being a female and knowing that women can possibly be raped as well as robbed in these situations. A man can use his hands as a weapon (strangulation) and I won't be able to fight him off . . . so I think my reaction would be . . . shoot the intruder and sort it out later, if I felt threatened.

That is how a Sheriff's deputy explained it to me years ago . . . He also said . . . if I hear noises downstairs, sneak down, gun in hand, and see two guys carrying out my belongings, and I yell "Stop or I will shoot" and they keep walking, that I absolutely should NOT SHOOT, b/c the guys do NOT have weapons in their hands if they are carrying items. The assumption is - if they don't have weapons, they do not mean me harm, so I should not shoot them, even if they are carrying out my TV, my furniture, etc. One should only shoot to protect one's self from harm (or protect someone else in the home from harm).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte