Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:30 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,445,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens44 View Post
I was told by a cop once that if you have to shoot someone in your home, shoot to kill and never leave them wounded. He said he's had several cases when a robber broke into someone's home and threatened them, but didn't know the owner had a gun. The owner gets the upper hand and shoots the robber, but only hits him in the shoulder or leg. They call the police and let them sort it out.
The robber then claims innocence and that he was invited in, or that he never made a threat and that he was leaving when when the owner shot him. The owner got into some trouble, but moreso, they were sued by the robber.
He told me that if two people have an altercation, there are always two sides to the story. The person at fault will almost always lie to protect himself and blame the other person. If there's only one side to the story though...
jstevens44 - Reading all of this makes me glad I put storm doors on both the front and back. Two layers of doors make breaking in somewhat more difficult for any would-be burglar. I feel so sorry for that poor woman. But I think there's a difference between the reaction of men and women. When I hear a noise in the front of the house, my first response is to pop up from the family room in the back. I'm one of those naturally nosy people who have to see what's going on. Anyone that I end up catching breaking into my house is not very likely to survive. I probably wouldn't call the cops either! Why bother them for something that may no longer be a problem? Let them sit there waiting for speeders! With the reported response time in Charlotte, Tony Soprano would have already "processed" him at the Sausage store! Can you tell I'm originally from NJ?

I'm fortunate to live near the train tracks and enjoy the bucolic sound of the train going by in the distance! It may someday come in handy for thug disposal! If I left the body on the train tracks at 3:00 AM after all the good TV shows are over for the night, the cops might be looking for him in Monroe, Mineral Springs, Waxhaw......all the way out to Gastonia! By the time lab results come back, I'd probably be wearing Depends and be living in a nursing home! As Alfred E. Newmann said "What, Me Worry?"

Seriously, I don't spend much time thinking about crime! I'll deal with it, if it ever happens in whatever way comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 12:31 PM

314 posts, read 1,132,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
As far as I understand it, for it to be "ok" to shoot someone they need to be in your home and they need to DIRECTLY threaten you. Meaning, saying that you "felt threatened" won't always cut it. There needs to be direct interaction that conveys with words or gestures that they intend physical harm. Not saying that I would personally wait for that to fire, depending on the situation. Also, I'm sure it depends a lot on your community and local law enforcement. But, that's how I understand the law.

Of course, I know that in Texas there was that guy that was found not guilty after shooting 2 robbers in the back in the yard as they were leaving his neighbor's house after robbing it. The guy called 911 and even told them he was going to kill them.
As I said, if there's only one person left to tell the story...

"Look out! He's coming right for me!" Bang.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:31 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,359,138 times
Quote:
As far as I understand it, for it to be "ok" to shoot someone they need to be in your home and they need to DIRECTLY threaten you. Meaning, saying that you "felt threatened" won't always cut it. There needs to be direct interaction that conveys with words or gestures that they intend physical harm. Not saying that I would personally wait for that to fire, depending on the situation. Also, I'm sure it depends a lot on your community and local law enforcement. But, that's how I understand the law.

Of course, I know that in Texas there was that guy that was found not guilty after shooting 2 robbers in the back in the yard as they were leaving his neighbor's house after robbing it. The guy called 911 and even told them he was going to kill them.
It is hard to have much sympathy for career criminals who blatantly disregard someone telling them to "STOP", who then get shot. Decent citizens are tired of being taken advantage of and ripped off. Now, maybe two wrongs dont' make a right, but I can see how a fed up person might react the way that Texas neighbor did.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:47 PM

630 posts, read 1,870,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It is hard to have much sympathy for career criminals who blatantly disregard someone telling them to "STOP", .
I figure my locked doors speak for themselves. If a locked front door doesn't get the perp to understand that they are not welcome into my house, I'm not going to waste my breath telling him.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
jstevens44 - Reading all of this makes me glad I put storm doors on both the front and back. Two layers of doors make breaking in somewhat more difficult for any would-be burglar. I feel so sorry for that poor woman. But I think there's a difference between the reaction of men and women. When I hear a noise in the front of the house, my first response is to pop up from the family room in the back. I'm one of those naturally nosy people who have to see what's going on. Anyone that I end up catching breaking into my house is not very likely to survive. I probably wouldn't call the cops either! Why bother them for something that may no longer be a problem? Let them sit there waiting for speeders! With the reported response time in Charlotte, Tony Soprano would have already "processed" him at the Sausage store! Can you tell I'm originally from NJ?

I'm fortunate to live near the train tracks and enjoy the bucolic sound of the train going by in the distance! It may someday come in handy for thug disposal! If I left the body on the train tracks at 3:00 AM after all the good TV shows are over for the night, the cops might be looking for him in Monroe, Mineral Springs, Waxhaw......all the way out to Gastonia! By the time lab results come back, I'd probably be wearing Depends and be living in a nursing home! As Alfred E. Newmann said "What, Me Worry?"

Seriously, I don't spend much time thinking about crime! I'll deal with it, if it ever happens in whatever way comes to mind.

You bring up a point I wanted to expand on - the OP said her sister stayed quiet in the house while the guy was pounding on the door. It has been advised for years now to never stay quiet!! Even when my kids were teens and I left them home alone they knew to never ignore a knock on the door. This is one of the oldest tricks in the book that theives use to determine if they should try to rob your house of another one down the street. ALWAYS respond thru the door with a loud "WHO IS IT?".

Old 11-06-2008, 01:08 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,048,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You bring up a point I wanted to expand on - the OP said her sister stayed quiet in the house while the guy was pounding on the door. It has been advised for years now to never stay quiet!! Even when my kids were teens and I left them home alone they knew to never ignore a knock on the door. This is one of the oldest tricks in the book that theives use to determine if they should try to rob your house of another one down the street. ALWAYS respond thru the door with a loud "WHO IS IT?".
Unfortunately, common sense doesn't come into play when someone is caught off gaurd.

I often hear the door bell ring in the middle of the night during the summer months. I can only assume it's because I park my car in the garage and someone, for whatever reason, wants to know if someone is home or the house is vacant. I get up and immediately turn on every light I can get my hands on and look out the window. By then, whoever did it leaves.

When I do go on vacation, I put Christmas light timers on all the lamps in the front rooms as well as the stereo. Maybe a bit paranoid because I also have an alarm system, but better be safe... I'm not hurting anyone by being extra careful.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:24 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,813,890 times
Quote:
As far as I understand it, for it to be "ok" to shoot someone they need to be in your home and they need to DIRECTLY threaten you. Meaning, saying that you "felt threatened" won't always cut it. There needs to be direct interaction that conveys with words or gestures that they intend physical harm.
The correct thing to say is that you feared for your life.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
Unfortunately, common sense doesn't come into play when someone is caught off gaurd.

I often hear the door bell ring in the middle of the night during the summer months. I can only assume it's because I park my car in the garage and someone, for whatever reason, wants to know if someone is home or the house is vacant. I get up and immediately turn on every light I can get my hands on and look out the window. By then, whoever did it leaves.

When I do go on vacation, I put Christmas light timers on all the lamps in the front rooms as well as the stereo. Maybe a bit paranoid because I also have an alarm system, but better be safe... I'm not hurting anyone by being extra careful.
Safety and awareness have to become habits - you just have to react without needing time to think - this takes practice, but is well worth the effort if it prevents you from becoming a victim. Sounds like you are doing a good job

Old 11-06-2008, 01:59 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,445,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
I've never had someone ring my doorbell in the middle of the night, but since I usually open my bedroom windows (on the second floor), anyone doing that would probably hear me yell "Who the F--- is that?" at a sound level that would drown out "Aida" at the Met, with a Panthers game crowd thrown in! I wouldn't be doing it in mellifluous and melismatic tones either!

Old 11-06-2008, 02:00 PM

414 posts, read 1,273,010 times
First off I want to say that we need to be prepared for this type of event to occur even more often. Many of us think that this is a growing problem, only here in Charlotte. In reality, it's a nation wide problem. It just happened to several people where I'm from in rural Ohio. The economy sucks and people are desparate.

Now, as for my house; if someone broke that seal of protection with my wife and kids at home, you better believe, that thug is as good as dead. Any person that has the capability to break into someone's home, to me, is a true threat. We're not talking about a teenager busting out a car window. We're talking about a person brave enough to enter YOUR home, whether you are there or not. My friends, courage escalates with time and success, that person needs to be dealt with now or someone else will pay the price later.

My best friend is a homicide detective in another state (let's just say in his city - he's very busy). Right after my place down here got broken into (we were not home) I asked him about my rights and he replied, "*********r rights, shoot the bastard, the detectives will help you clean your story up. We realize that if you didn't shoot him, he'd eventually put some innocent person in the grave. Some may call that corrupt, we call it justice."

BTW, your sister's intruder was probably on the cell phone communicating with their partner, who was zeroing in on the back side of her house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte