U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2008, 01:24 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,181 posts, read 2,750,941 times
Reputation: 460

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Safety and awareness have to become habits - you just have to react without needing time to think - this takes practice, but is well worth the effort if it prevents you from becoming a victim. Sounds like you are doing a good job
Thanks Loves, but I don't think I'm the normal suburbanite because I spent so many years living in places like Jersey City and Newark, NJ and worked in NYC and other places like that. I've been in some shady places at all hours of the day and night and have developed those insticts that keep me safe, but for those who have grown up in quiet suburban neighborhoods, this is not the case and it doesn't come naturally. I can't imagine how to learn this later in life.

I try to teach my kids to always be on their guard. For example, they aren't allowed to answer the door at any time of day unless I'm at their side and I train them not to answer questions when the pick up the phone, but they roll their eyes in disbelief. They have that "nothing can happen to me" attitude. It's unnerving that they feel a false sense of security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2008, 05:01 PM
 
1,367 posts, read 5,099,575 times
Reputation: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
Thanks Loves, but I don't think I'm the normal suburbanite because I spent so many years living in places like Jersey City and Newark, NJ and worked in NYC and other places like that. I've been in some shady places at all hours of the day and night and have developed those insticts that keep me safe, but for those who have grown up in quiet suburban neighborhoods, this is not the case and it doesn't come naturally. I can't imagine how to learn this later in life.

I try to teach my kids to always be on their guard. For example, they aren't allowed to answer the door at any time of day unless I'm at their side and I train them not to answer questions when the pick up the phone, but they roll their eyes in disbelief. They have that "nothing can happen to me" attitude. It's unnerving that they feel a false sense of security.
That is good, even if they are skeptical parents must try to teach their kids this! I was doing political canvassing recently, and I couldn't believe how many tiny kids answered the door alone, then would leave the door open while they went to look for their parents! Granted, being a young female I don't look threatening exactly, but that shouldn't even make a difference!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2008, 08:36 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,181 posts, read 2,750,941 times
Reputation: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
That is good, even if they are skeptical parents must try to teach their kids this! I was doing political canvassing recently, and I couldn't believe how many tiny kids answered the door alone, then would leave the door open while they went to look for their parents! Granted, being a young female I don't look threatening exactly, but that shouldn't even make a difference!
That's just what I'm talking about. People have this false sense of security when they live in suburban neighborhoods.

Another thing that shocks me is parents leaving their kids in the toy departments at stores while they're shopping. I don't get it. Haven't they ever heard of Adam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2008, 10:38 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,165,475 times
Reputation: 22373
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
That's just what I'm talking about. People have this false sense of security when they live in suburban neighborhoods.

Another thing that shocks me is parents leaving their kids in the toy departments at stores while they're shopping. I don't get it. Haven't they ever heard of Adam?
Little Adam Walsh. That still upsets me. There are nutballs and perverts as well as the thugs out there. Vigilance. That is all we can do - be vigilant at home and out in public, as well. Not saying we have to get crazy paranoid, but being safe and prepared . . .

We have to be smart these days . . . no use making ourselves easy targets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2008, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
973 posts, read 2,972,782 times
Reputation: 1236
I was reading this thread and went upstairs to pull my gun out and double check to see if I had it loaded. Since I moved here, I keep thinking about taking a trip to the gun range but everyday stuff keeps side-tracking me.

Reading all the stories about crime has gotten my hackles up and my hubby and I are extra cautious since our rental house is close to a questionable area, IMO. It doesn't help that my hubby is very paranoid about my safety. Keeps me edgy. Can't wait to move into my own house.

Anyhow, I got my gun out and yes, it's loaded. While I was wiping it down, the door bell rang. Here I am, reading this thread thinking, "Who in the heck is ringing my doorbell and knocking?" I walked to the front window, which faces the door with the gun in my hand. The guy standing there was looking at the window when I walked up and it scared the crap out of him when he saw my gun. He's holds his hands up and steps back and is saying...""It's okay, lady."

To make a long story short, I'd venture that those guys selling steaks door to door will never come back to my house. LOL!!! I didn't mean to scare him. Really!

Hope the Girl Scouts don't stop by to sell cookies or they may report me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2008, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Reputation: 39865
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
I was reading this thread and went upstairs to pull my gun out and double check to see if I had it loaded. Since I moved here, I keep thinking about taking a trip to the gun range but everyday stuff keeps side-tracking me.

Reading all the stories about crime has gotten my hackles up and my hubby and I are extra cautious since our rental house is close to a questionable area, IMO. It doesn't help that my hubby is very paranoid about my safety. Keeps me edgy. Can't wait to move into my own house.

Anyhow, I got my gun out and yes, it's loaded. While I was wiping it down, the door bell rang. Here I am, reading this thread thinking, "Who in the heck is ringing my doorbell and knocking?" I walked to the front window, which faces the door with the gun in my hand. The guy standing there was looking at the window when I walked up and it scared the crap out of him when he saw my gun. He's holds his hands up and steps back and is saying...""It's okay, lady."

To make a long story short, I'd venture that those guys selling steaks door to door will never come back to my house. LOL!!! I didn't mean to scare him. Really!

Hope the Girl Scouts don't stop by to sell cookies or they may report me.

Your story is funny and sad at the same time

I'm not exactly sure when or how it happened, but there is a cocky criminal element in this city who believes they can go into any home they chose and just take what they want, and I am TIRED of it. If it takes you or someone like you to shoot a few of them to get their attention, then so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2008, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Waxhaw, NC
60 posts, read 140,097 times
Reputation: 78
All you have to remember is, when anyone kicks in your front or back door, windows or wall, that they are there to change your life in a very bad way. Whether to steal your property, harm your loved ones or kill them, you are dealing with human scum and they should be dealt with accordingly.

If you're at all handy with a gun, you should be able to put at least half a dozen rounds into the piece of trash before he hits the ground. If not, practice until you can.

This is Charlotte, a city where crime pays and the dirtbags know it. It's up to every citizen to try to change this perception even when the politically correct segment of society becomes outraged at the thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2008, 06:40 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,165,475 times
Reputation: 22373
Remingtin, well said. I know that this type of direct discussion about crime may be upsetting to some amongst us and indeed, some will say - Showboating, or "cowboy" talk. That is not what is going on here. Things are out of control in this city (in re: to a very small group of arrogant, brazen young thugs). But all it takes is a few people to cause all sorts of havoc w/in a community. We have witnessed this!

So yes, Gizmo, I am sure you scared the dudes at the door, but you know . . . so what? Your door! Your property! Your safety!!!

I agree w/ Loves and Rem. If we all made it clear to these miscreants that we are NOT going to stand back and be victimized, perhaps they would find gainful employment rather than spending their energy figuring out how to rip off our property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2008, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Memphis, TN
86 posts, read 171,978 times
Reputation: 48
I'm in memphis and thinking of moving over there. my friends tell me its nothing compared to here but i've had police tell me the best thing to have is a pump shotgun in the house he said everyone knows what that sound is as soon as they hear it. and he's correct they hear that and there nine seems like a cap gun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2008, 09:00 PM
 
549 posts, read 1,565,295 times
Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
Another thing that shocks me is parents leaving their kids in the toy departments at stores while they're shopping. I don't get it. Haven't they ever heard of Adam?
Sure, it is irresponsible to leave a 5 year old alone in the mall but "stranger danger" is way, way, WAY overstated. You're more likely to win the lottery. It's gotten to the point where parents are so over protective that they don't allow their kids to have any independence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top