U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:09 PM

743 posts, read 2,027,479 times

Advertisements

Okay here was my thought, what if you have an Extremely large wrench by the front door and you hide by the door when you hear somebody outside. Wait and they kick in the door, then wham across the head, would that be self defense and would I get in trouble by the law? Sounds hilarious but that big ol' Snap On wrench is mighty heavy and will do a lot of damage. As cars have again got broken into in our neighborhood as well as garage door openers and keys being taken. So just taking precautions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 09:35 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,100,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
Okay here was my thought, what if you have an Extremely large wrench by the front door and you hide by the door when you hear somebody outside. Wait and they kick in the door, then wham across the head, would that be self defense and would I get in trouble by the law? Sounds hilarious but that big ol' Snap On wrench is mighty heavy and will do a lot of damage. As cars have again got broken into in our neighborhood as well as garage door openers and keys being taken. So just taking precautions.
Uh, you'd better hope it does a lot of damage! Otherwise you will just have one very angry burgler.

Although it is amusing to think of someone waiting by the door with a wrench every time they hear someone outside, just waiting for the door to be kicked in!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:32 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,477,565 times
Quote:
An aluminum baseball bat works just as well & its lighter.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:44 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,130,161 times
From the mouth of a career burglar:

WBTV 3 News, Weather Sports, Traffic, and Programming Guide for Charlotte, NC | From the Mouth of a Career Burglar

Dogs are the key. Loud, large, barking dogs.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:57 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,477,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
From the mouth of a career burglar:

WBTV 3 News, Weather Sports, Traffic, and Programming Guide for Charlotte, NC | From the Mouth of a Career Burglar

Dogs are the key. Loud, large, barking dogs.
Quote:
"(Molly) Please be candid with this answer. What's the time you were most scared breaking into a home? (Willie) I can't quite put my finger on what time it was becuase there had been a few times where i had to get on the move and get on the move quick... (Molly) But you were scared of being caught. (Willie) Yes.Not just... yes. I'm scared of being caught (Molly) Let's say you were breaking into my house and you walked in while you were robbing me. What would be somethign I could say or do that would make you drop the stuff, and run? (Willie) A good yell and to throw something. COurse if you've got a gun, shoot. Shoot first, ask questions later."

Old 11-08-2008, 11:26 PM

221 posts, read 485,535 times
Absolutely! To survive, you must cower down and let thugs run over you. Never try to protect yourself. What a preposterous thought. Always remember that thugs are professional and have a far higher IQ than you and will almost always prevail, so never confront them. Be prepared to sacrifice your family but just remember that it is worth it so long as you don't harm the one or ones trying to harm you. In other words just be a chicken**** coward. Any thought other than that is just a "ridiculous thought" and god knows you wouldn't want to have that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Yes, let's all shoot people and have gun fights in our homes so that we can (of course) shoot and kill MORE people. (PLEASE note the sarcasam)

What makes you think that the thug does NOT have a gun? He is most likely more experienced than you and will kill YOU before you can even get the first shot out.

That is absolutely a ridiculous thought.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:41 PM

221 posts, read 485,535 times
If I was you, I'd just pull the whole tool box behind the door with you. That way you could get the right tool for the job. As far as getting in trouble with the law, I think as long as you could prove that you were a mechanic you'd have permission to use those tools as you see fit, but then again I'm not a lawyer. But I can guarantee that as long as you hide behind your door with a big Snap On wrench nobody will break into cars in your neighborhood. I am absolutely surprised that you haven't been commended or hired by some government agency and been in charge of replacing weapons with wrenches. If you're good at marketing you may have a shot at success with Snap On. But you definitely have a knack for neighborhood and home security.....yessir.

Quote:

Old 11-09-2008, 05:29 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,749,431 times
While I am for blowing away (and equipped to do so), with extreme prejudice, anyone messing around in my yard, not to mention porch or house, I think if your sister had simply flashed the front porch lights, or told the guy, through the door to get the h3ll out of Dodge, all this would have been prevented.

Most of these ID10Ts are not out to kill you, though they might if cornered. Scaring them off, outside your home is a lot easier and safer than trying to do so, once they are inside.

A 911 call if the person does not leave IMMEDIATELY would be plan B.

By the way, I "house sat" for 6 months for a couple on the outskirts of Washington DC back in the late 90's. Their routine, when leaving the house, and what I "had" to do, was to leave the radio on, on a talk channel, at just the right volume, pre-determined, that the talk could be heard on the front porch, but not understood.

Not sure if it worked, but no one messed with the house while I was in it.

Seldom is doing nothing ever the right answer.

lln

Old 11-09-2008, 07:43 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,130,161 times
Never said to do "nothing". I am just fiercely against any form of gun. I have seen far to much senseless tragedy at the hands of guns...mostly children killed when they thought that they were playing with toys.

LLN has the right idea. Now, even when I go to work, I alternate rooms that have radios or televisons on, same with the lights. I also have two, large barking dogs that will bark when you set foot on my driveway. There is never a time when my house is completely quiet. My car is ALWAYS in the garage, even if I come home for just a few minutes and plan to leave again. This keeps the thugs guessing...is she home? or isn't she?

I live in a neighbourhood that has these kinds of thugs living here. I don't want to give them any cause to come into my house. Mace? Yes, I have that and pepper spray, too. Just no gun.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:45 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,653,753 times
Just goes to show, you cannot totally rely on government intervention. Weather it was the cell phones problem, reception or 911 system, doesn't matter.
This incident ended well, another one might not. Self preservation is an necessity.

That door jamming thing is alright, but how many ground floor windows do you have? Easy enough to smash a window and get in.

People need to learn how to protect themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte