Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:53 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
Just goes to show, you cannot totally rely on government intervention. Weather it was the cell phones problem, reception or 911 system, doesn't matter.
This incident ended well, another one might not. Self preservation is an necessity.

That door jamming thing is alright, but how many ground floor windows do you have? Easy enough to smash a window and get in.

People need to learn how to protect themselves.
Eek, in my tiny house we have 14 ground floor windows! But, I figure it will take them longer to break a window and get in than kick the door in and get in, so at least I'd have more time to react.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 10:29 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
Just goes to show, you cannot totally rely on government intervention. Weather it was the cell phones problem, reception or 911 system, doesn't matter.
This incident ended well, another one might not. Self preservation is an necessity.

That door jamming thing is alright, but how many ground floor windows do you have? Easy enough to smash a window and get in.

People need to learn how to protect themselves.
Well, it's a documented fact that thieves usually kick in doors as opposed to breaking windows. It's easier, faster, quieter, etc. Plus, you can swing a door closed after you've kicked it in and things look normal from the outside. Not so with a broken window.

It's not a guarantee that they won't break a window, but every statistical advantage helps. That's why we also have a glass break sensor on our alarm - in case they do decide to break a window.

You know the joke about being chased by a bear? You don't have to be the fastest runner, you just can't be the slowest. Same thing here, you don't have to have the toughest house in the neighborhood to break in to, you just can't have the easiest.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Please note: the career burglar is most likely NOT carrying a gun and does NOT want to confront a homeowner. However, the history here in MECK for the last several years is w/ young, brazen, arrogant THUGS who consider home invasions and waving weapons around to be part of their LIFESTYLE.

Those are the break-ins that concern me.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:00 AM

347 posts, read 1,094,983 times
Madison to Charlotte: Glad your sister is ok. But, what a scary experience! What has our world come to?

A friend called 911 yrs ago, when she noticed suspicious activity- 2 unknown cars driving up and down the street, she had seen the 2 days in a row, and then they parked at the corner, and 2 guys went to one of the houses on foot. They didn't take her seriously, and told her to call back when there is actually a crime!!!! Of course, the house looked ok, and my friend just assumed she had been mistaken and it was just visitors who had been searching for the right house. Guess what? 2 days later, the neighbors return from out of town, to find all their valuables gone!!!!
Great job, 911! On this note, I have often wondered if calling the cops is the better way to go? But shouldn't 911 do that for you? That's the idea of an easy to dial no. right?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:02 AM

347 posts, read 1,094,983 times
Question How do you secure the rear patio door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Lowe's sells these adjustable bars that have a plastic, two-prong "fork" on one end and a rubber foot on the other. You wedge the bar inbetween the doorhandle and the floor (with the fork on either side of the doorhandle shaft). They're ~$20 and make the door much harder to kick in.
Do they have an alarm?

I have that. But I worry about my rear patio door. It's less visible than the front door, and easier to break in from, IMO. It just has this tiny latch... seems like I could overpower it with a screwdriver.
Anyone know how to secure that?

Old 11-10-2008, 10:00 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttrBug View Post
I have that. But I worry about my rear patio door. It's less visible than the front door, and easier to break in from, IMO. It just has this tiny latch... seems like I could overpower it with a screwdriver.
Anyone know how to secure that?
There is a steel bar you can buy that screws into the frame of the sliding glass door that you can then lift or lay down to open or secure the door. I had one on my last sliding glass door and it could not be budged when that bar was down. Check at Home Depot for one

Old 11-10-2008, 10:44 AM

743 posts, read 2,243,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterserv View Post
If I was you, I'd just pull the whole tool box behind the door with you. That way you could get the right tool for the job. As far as getting in trouble with the law, I think as long as you could prove that you were a mechanic you'd have permission to use those tools as you see fit, but then again I'm not a lawyer. But I can guarantee that as long as you hide behind your door with a big Snap On wrench nobody will break into cars in your neighborhood. I am absolutely surprised that you haven't been commended or hired by some government agency and been in charge of replacing weapons with wrenches. If you're good at marketing you may have a shot at success with Snap On. But you definitely have a knack for neighborhood and home security.....yessir.

You know you don't have to be a smart one about that. I just feel if I have a gun in the house, in may get in the wrong hands like my two young children. So I just thought if my self defense item was different and someone decided to march into my home in the middle of the night without being invited, would me knocking their a**es out work and if I happened to crack the skull in the meantime, would it still be self defense. Oh and btw I cannot move the tool box as it is larger than me.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
You know you don't have to be a smart one about that. I just feel if I have a gun in the house, in may get in the wrong hands like my two young children. So I just thought if my self defense item was different and someone decided to march into my home in the middle of the night without being invited, would me knocking their a**es out work and if I happened to crack the skull in the meantime, would it still be self defense. Oh and btw I cannot move the tool box as it is larger than me.
I totally understand your hesitancy about having guns in the house w/ children. I learned to shoot a gun at 12 and have grown up around guns, and my son now has his own shotgun, rifle and handgun (he is 25) but when he was a child, I had no guns in the house. Now, we were not living here in CLT. The area we lived in had no violent crime so that made it an easy decision not to have guns in the house. The crime rating for our town was under 20 at that time, LOL.

I kept an aluminum baseball bat in the umbrella stand next to the front door for years and that may be something you would want to consider. I would think the law is such that if anyone comes into your home and you smack them w/ a baseball bat or frying pan (cast iron, LOL) - it could easily be seen that you were fearing for your life. Anytime someone breaks in your home - you don't know their intentions . . . but you have to assume - they don't have your welfare on their minds!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte