Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:46 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
As you travel further out of town, the demand decreases, thus the price does also.
Not necessarily true in this area.

Take Union (ie Monroe), Cabarrus, (points south & east of Charlotte). Those counties have consistently been 25-30c higher per gallon for regular than the Gastonia area. Monroe right now is about 2.45/g on avg while Gastonia is around 2.15-2.20/g

Why is that?

I can understand SC is cheaper because of the state tax.....

Also, btw if your in the Lake Wylie area, they are around 1.80/gallon....sick...Rock Hill RaceWay off of 77 is 1.90/gallon..

Charlotte Map Gas Prices - Find the Lowest Charlotte Gas Prices on a Map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 07:04 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times
It is weird. The prices in Gaston county have been significantly lower for a few weeks. They're usually right on par with Charlotte prices. Gastonia (proper) isn't rural and they don't have a big transit system. When I visit friends in the area, traffic doesn't seem lighter.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:35 PM

184 posts, read 359,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Yeah, since we're all secretly unemployed automotive engineers, lets jack the price of gas up and really screw everyone else! Now that the "Savior" has been elected, it shouldn't be long before we're all using electric cars (subsidized by the wealthy). Of course, since the coal industry is going to be bankrupted, and nuclear technology is a no no, there may be an electric shortage. Keeping that in mind, I suggest we put LOTS of windmills in suburban DC, as the abundance of hot air there will provide vast amounts of clean energy.
like many other low information Charlotte residents, your reply totally misses the point

we should all be working to examine our usage, and find alternative uses of transportation, we need a reliable energy efficient system which includes all current forms of energy but keeping in mind that our resources are all limited and that the decision we make today will have profound impacts on our children's children and generations to come

we need to start today, by understanding how much we use, how much the world uses, and not only relying on government to institute a clean energy policy (and not energy politics), but also each of us doing our part to live our lives better and make our travel less impactful to the environment

sadly, one of the only ways people make change is when energy costs soar to unheard of levels that make people take action and not "putting it off until next week, month, year, decade, century" when it's too late and the effects are irreversable

Old 11-05-2008, 07:38 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,675 times
Gas prices may be higher here than surrounding areas, but it is hard to argue that prices are artificially being held up when I see prices being cut daily, and sometimes more than once a day.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:54 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival survivor View Post

we need to start today, by understanding how much we use, how much the world uses, and not only relying on government to institute a clean energy policy (and not energy politics), but also each of us doing our part to live our lives better and make our travel less impactful to the environment

sadly, one of the only ways people make change is when energy costs soar to unheard of levels that make people take action and not "putting it off until next week, month, year, decade, century" when it's too late and the effects are irreversable
Why drive this thread OT w/your rant? No one likes to buy oil from the Arabs, anymore than you do, but reality is people here have to get to work, many on limited incomes.

Lets keep the topic at hand please...which is why are prices here more expensive?

Old 11-05-2008, 08:15 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,054,812 times
Is Charlotte usually lower than other states in the past? I was surprised to see this thread actually. I was thinking about writing a thread a few days ago about how gas prices are dropping like crazy making it easier on our wallets.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:24 PM

187 posts, read 549,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival survivor View Post
gas in Charlotte should be as high as possible- I say a $5 a gallon minimum so people begin using less, finding alternate modes of transport, conserving more, and changing their behaviors (creating more demand for hybrid and re-usable energy) to be not only carbon-neutral, but also net energy zero
I've gotta say, this is the best gosh darn joke I've read in years.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:35 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandchug View Post
I've gotta say, this is the best gosh darn joke I've read in years.

If it ain't a joke, it's pathetic

Old 11-06-2008, 09:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
1.79 in Lake Wylie
or
1.76 if you use the Walmart Gift Card
at Murphy USA
Charlotte Hwy near 274 & 557

Old 11-07-2008, 06:00 AM

403 posts, read 1,563,658 times
SHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!! I would love to pay those prices!! I live in Washington and just paid $2.54 and that is on the cheap end here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte