Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:37 AM

329 posts, read 1,271,421 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear about your pain and unpleasant experience! You might try a little clove oil on the gums to help with the pain. It will burn - tingle a little when you first put it on - but it goes away and of course - taste like cloves. But it might help with the pain.

I agree with others - get a second a opinion. If you are experiencing that much pain - something is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 10:54 AM

172 posts, read 584,486 times
I had rods with all my root canals and yes it was to anchor the crown. I also agree you need a second opinion. You should not be in that much pain. Personally I would ask for Percocet. I am a real baby when it comes to dental pain. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:17 PM

311 posts, read 915,685 times
gee whiz, can you tell me where this dentist is so I won't go to him?? I don't know what rod you are talking about, BUT, I did have a root canal this one time and he had to put a "post" up in my gums, kind of like a screw? to support the cap or the shaved down tooth or whatever. But I definitely didn't have the pain you're talking about, it was a pretty normal amount of achiness.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:34 PM

37 posts, read 198,611 times
Thanks everyone for explaining and sharing their experience! I mean this with a sincere heart. It amazes me how strangers can be so kind. I was so sad and depressed about this.

It sounds like he did something that most endodonists don't do, and probably for no reason.

The tooth is a strong tooth. No gingivitis. Every dentist I see has commented that my gums are great (I floss all the time). I had no cracks in the tooth and really didn't have a lot of pain prior to the root canal. And although I had a cavity filling in the tooth (prior to the root canal) the majority of the tooth (minus the cavity filling) and all the tooth wall is there.

As for the rods. When he showed me the x-ray after the root canal there were rods in there (looked like thin long screws). He took them out after a week of extreme pain when I complained that they were cutting into my jaw and wants to put them back in.

Never having had one, I just thought that was how root canals were done.
As for it possibly being a build up for a crown. I'm glad someone mentioned this because when the dentist called about doing the crown (not the endodontist), he specifically said it would be a little cheaper because the he wouldn't need to do any build up for the crown as the tooth was strong and for most part all there.

Now I am calling today to get a second opinion.

I mean this sincerely again. Thank you all so very much! I will update you after I get a second opinion. Again, thank you!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
It is so upsetting to try your best to get info from a physician . . . and still feel afterward that you don't understand what has transpired. I am pretty savvy w/ medical issues and so many times, I have been left scratching my head thinking - HUH??????? Not just in re: to myself, but my family and friends, as well.

This method has me totally baffled and I think you are very very wise to seek out assistance from someone else. I had to do this also w/ a dentist and I am sooooo glad I did. I finally found pain relief when I found a new doc.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:59 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,894,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifullife View Post
Thanks everyone for explaining and sharing their experience! I mean this with a sincere heart. It amazes me how strangers can be so kind. I was so sad and depressed about this.

It sounds like he did something that most endodonists don't do, and probably for no reason.

The tooth is a strong tooth. No gingivitis. Every dentist I see has commented that my gums are great (I floss all the time). I had no cracks in the tooth and really didn't have a lot of pain prior to the root canal. And although I had a cavity filling in the tooth (prior to the root canal) the majority of the tooth (minus the cavity filling) and all the tooth wall is there.

As for the rods. When he showed me the x-ray after the root canal there were rods in there (looked like thin long screws). He took them out after a week of extreme pain when I complained that they were cutting into my jaw and wants to put them back in.

Never having had one, I just thought that was how root canals were done.
As for it possibly being a build up for a crown. I'm glad someone mentioned this because when the dentist called about doing the crown (not the endodontist), he specifically said it would be a little cheaper because the he wouldn't need to do any build up for the crown as the tooth was strong and for most part all there.

Now I am calling today to get a second opinion.

I mean this sincerely again. Thank you all so very much! I will update you after I get a second opinion. Again, thank you!
Those rods are the posts that they put after a root canal in preparation for a crown. When there is not enough tooth material in there to hold the post, they also put in a pontic in addition to the post. After the root canal, there really should be no pain since a root canal removes the nerve. Perhaps the root(s) were not completely "emptied" so the post is pushing onto material still inside the root. Either that or there is more underlying infection beyond the root. I suggest you go see another endo with better imaging equipment. I can recommend one to you in Rock Hill...I swear, this endo treats every root canal with the passion of someone going for a board exam each time! He had to re-do a root canal that was done where one root was not filled, and he had a hell of a time trying to get to it. He did acknowledge that the other endo must have tried to get to it due to the holes on my teeth where they attempted to drill, but the root was waaaaay behind and covered with a big filling so it made it hard to get to it. This guy did not give up on that puppy, and it just makes me so comfortable that he will do a good job. As long as I was on that chair, I think he pretty much lost money on me, but he didn't care. He was going to do a job and do it right.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:32 PM

bibit612,

Please send me the name of the guy you used in Rock Hill. Thanks!

Old 11-07-2008, 01:42 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,894,135 times
Floren, John W DMD
1307 Ebenezer Rd
Rock Hill, SC 29732
803) 980-3333‎

Several dentists in the Fort Mill area refer their patients to him for endodontic services. His office personnel are awesome...they realize you don't go there and expect to enjoy yourself.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:50 AM

70 posts, read 195,522 times
I've had a half dozen root canals in my lifetime and every single one of them left me feeling like I got kicked in the face. Of those 6, three eventually got pulled anyway.
I always allowed myself to be talked out of having the tooth pulled, but no more.
The next time I'm advised to have a root canal, the tooth is coming out.
I'd rather a bridge if need be.

My current dentist is a bit of a card. He always asks as soon as I get in the chair "Is it safe?"
I can appreciate that since my sense of humor parallels his to a degree, I would do the same in his shoes.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:05 PM

bibit612,

Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte