Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 05:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,102,358 times

Advertisements

I have whined all week cause I have a really nasty case of bronchitis and sinusitis - and can't get over it. Now my ears are stopping up . . .

I was thinking . . . certain foods really are good for bronchial/sinus problems.

I remember, when I was a kid out of college, my editor sent me to do an "advertorial" on an Indian restaurant . . . and I had a terrible sinus infection . . . didn't feel like doing it. But when I got to the restaurant, the owner said "Ahhhhh, Indian food is wonderful for upper respiratory problems!" and he brought me all these different dishes to try - spicey, aromatic . . . and sure enuff, my head opened! I still think about that . . . it was amazing. The guy told me that certain spices have a cleansing effect on the membranes and truly will help one heal.

So I was wondering . . . what foods do you all suggest that will help one "heal" and give DH and me some relief from this nasty mess we have???

Any recommendations, links to recipes, recipes themselves, names of dishes, restaurants where to find those dishes, etc. will be sooooo appreciated!

Please share your ideas w/ me! I know we have some others on the forum who are sick of being sick and maybe this could help all of us . . .

Tell me what I need to round up for "take out" this weekend . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 05:55 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,316,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have whined all week cause I have a really nasty case of bronchitis and sinusitis - and can't get over it. Now my ears are stopping up . . .

I was thinking . . . certain foods really are good for bronchial/sinus problems.

I remember, when I was a kid out of college, my editor sent me to do an "advertorial" on an Indian restaurant . . . and I had a terrible sinus infection . . . didn't feel like doing it. But when I got to the restaurant, the owner said "Ahhhhh, Indian food is wonderful for upper respiratory problems!" and he brought me all these different dishes to try - spicey, aromatic . . . and sure enuff, my head opened! I still think about that . . . it was amazing. The guy told me that certain spices have a cleansing effect on the membranes and truly will help one heal.

So I was wondering . . . what foods do you all suggest that will help one "heal" and give DH and me some relief from this nasty mess we have???

Any recommendations, links to recipes, recipes themselves, names of dishes, restaurants where to find those dishes, etc. will be sooooo appreciated!

Please share your ideas w/ me! I know we have some others on the forum who are sick of being sick and maybe this could help all of us . . .

Tell me what I need to round up for "take out" this weekend . . .

You poor thing!!

For me, nothing sooths like a hot egg drop soup from a good chinese restaurant - yum!

Old 11-07-2008, 05:56 PM

850 posts, read 2,640,749 times
Chicken Noodle Soup...with rice!

Old 11-07-2008, 05:57 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,141,811 times
Chicken soup for sure Ani...I would make you some if I didn't have full days this weekend (that is a GOOD thing BTW). Maybe next week, but hopefully you will be better by then!!

Old 11-07-2008, 05:58 PM

Oh, I do love egg drop soup, Loves!!!

And Marndt - Chicken Noodle has been my mainstay all week. Yummy good!

Okay - you two are definitely on track and these are things we love to eat. Keep the ideas coming. (Meanwhile, where is that box of kleenex . . . )

Old 11-07-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
Chicken soup for sure Ani...I would make you some if I didn't have full days this weekend (that is a GOOD thing BTW). Maybe next week, but hopefully you will be better by then!!
Thank you, tho, for the good thoughts, SC&U!! This is my own philosophy so don't ask where it came from, but I believe when another person sends "good thoughts" to us . . . it is like a blessing, so the good thoughts about the chicken soup do count!!! When you envision something positive for a person, it helps that thought manifest itself in their lives.

I think I have some chicken breasts in the freezer so . . . no reason I can't put them on, make some wonderful chicken stock, and some fabulous chicken soup! In fact, gonna head to the freezer right now and put those on in my Nesco roaster.

This will give us something to look forward to tomorrow at lunch. And even if you were not able to make the chicken soup for me . . . your thought is going to help it become a reality! Isn't it neat how that works??? LOL!!!!

Last edited by brokensky; 11-07-2008 at 06:38 PM..

Old 11-07-2008, 06:16 PM
NCN

21,661 posts, read 25,497,207 times
I just did a search for "healing spices for sinus" and came up with several places. This is just one of them.
Native Sun Natural Foods Market - What's New (http://www.nativesunjax.com/tfl11.html - broken link)

Chicken soup is supposed to have something that helps the common cold. You sound like you may have allergies, since you seem to be prone to get this.

I recently had my husband suggest that I take one of his vitamin C tablets that had more than 700% of the daily requirement. I didn't like taking that much but the results were incredible. First my sinuses opened up and then I started coughing stuff up from my lungs. Amazing!

When I get a sore throat I usually cook cabbage with cayenne (red) pepper. I read somewhere it is good for sore throats. I now add turkey polish sausage with this and eat it with frozen and baked hushpuppies. Might as well make it good.

Disclaimer: Of course check all this out with your doctor before using. LOL

I believe ginger is the magic ingredient in Oriental cooking that opens up the nose.

Once again, these are just little bits of information I have picked up over the years and they may or may not work. You can't believe everything you read. I once read that to heal your nose you should prick a Vitamin E pill and put the contents down you nose. It ended up in my ear and affected my hearing for months. So use at your own risk.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:34 PM

417 posts, read 811,550 times
One thing that always helps me get better.........Go Shopping!!

......I do hope you get better quickly

Old 11-07-2008, 06:44 PM

Hey, NCN!!! Ohhhhh - we LOVE cooked cabbage w/ some hot pepper in it, but I had not thought of this. So this is definitely going on the shopping list for tomorrow! I even like the way cabbage smells when it cooks, Hee Hee. Of course, my head is so stopped up right now . . .

You are right - we do have allergy problems, but this time, doc ran tests for everything from influenza to legionnaire's (sp) and blood work indicated a bacterial infection. We are finishing up antibiotics. We had the misfortune of dining beside a fellow who sounded like he had TB (not kidding) and we think that is where we picked up this nasty mess!!!!

I have upped my Vit C intake (I agree - can't hurt!!!) . . . and we are drinking lots of green tea. It just feels comforting and there is a lot to be said for being comforted.

Thank you for sharing your great ideas!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singe View Post
One thing that always helps me get better.........Go Shopping!!

......I do hope you get better quickly
Hey there, Singe! How nice of you to drop in!

Well, don't really feel like getting out and shopping quite yet . . . but I did order some books from Amazon.com . . . and I spent some time yesterday evening looking at some awfully cute ostrich handbags online!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte