U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 02:34 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,654,320 times

Advertisements

^^ in most circumstances I think that's they way to go but I think this is a little different. As fasterserv said, these neighborhoods are very close to where the OP lives.

Shardreamer - I hope you are not discouraged. Hopefully there is someone here with some firsthand knowledge of the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti1042 View Post
I recommend that you do your research. You can start with Community Crime Information System and also make sure you drive through the areas that you are looking into during different times of the day. Stopping to talk with neighbors will also give you insight in that particular neighborhood.

There are also many properties that are in your price range in Mt Holly. best of luck.
I think this is great advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 02:46 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,732,691 times
[quote=mikealialex;6084207]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Come on guys, be nice!!! Our op can ride around the area all day long but that still won't tell him what he wants to know - are these "safe" neighborhoods. He's just looking for some feedback since he doesn't know the area

Also- only their 2nd post, so I always cust some slack to the newcomers (as I was last year at this time).
Saying that, I did 95% of my research via the laptop, as we were living in SoFla and only flew up to look at houses that met our criteria. We saved countless hours by eliminating houses or even neighborhoods that we didnt like just by researching on the web.
I certainly see YOUR point of view. You were in Fla. Did you read where OP lives? Lives 10 minutes away. So one would THINK it would be easier to jump in the car and do some detective work. Heck, I don't know. That's my style and everybody needs to find their own comfort level.

I agree that the web is a great source of info on crime stats. Without a doubt some of the sites put on CD are excellent.If OP doesn't know the sites simply type into google "Crime stats zip code xxxxx". Or better yet when you have an address you're interested in search "crime stats and address".

The last house I wanted to buy I checked like that. Didn't buy the house but I buy all my crack there now. Seller is a real nice guy.

Good luck,
je

Old 11-09-2008, 03:22 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
[quote=johne482;6084674]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post

I certainly see YOUR point of view. You were in Fla. Did you read where OP lives? Lives 10 minutes away. So one would THINK it would be easier to jump in the car and do some detective work. Heck, I don't know. That's my style and everybody needs to find their own comfort level.

I agree that the web is a great source of info on crime stats. Without a doubt some of the sites put on CD are excellent.If OP doesn't know the sites simply type into google "Crime stats zip code xxxxx". Or better yet when you have an address you're interested in search "crime stats and address".

The last house I wanted to buy I checked like that. Didn't buy the house but I buy all my crack there now. Seller is a real nice guy.

Good luck,
je

LOLOLOLOLOL - John, you are a piece of work

Old 11-09-2008, 03:48 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,673,895 times
Wow.. what an interesting thread. I don't know much about those areas in detail, but I wasn't very fond of the west side in that general vicinity. You have options at $140K. What are your interests, where is your job? Do you want malls or Lakes near you? Do you have or planning to have a 7 year old any time soon? $140 can be a decent starter home or town home, or a perm home, depends on what you want. If you provide some other details we could also recommend some other areas if you want.

Also, when did CD turn into, go look it up, go drive it, do a search. If you look at 75% of the questions on here they may have been answered before, but sometimes you want recent data or others opinions who may have just joined. Also I am sure this is no ones only resource so they are asking our opinion. If you can't help why bother posting. I am with Loves, lets help our Posters out.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:05 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,154,265 times
I wish I had something to add, but I don't, as I am not really familiar w/ the neighborhoods that the OP mentioned.

But dear me . . .can't y'all give some "good, bad and ugly" info - real insight - into the mentioned neighborhoods?

I agree - getting a realtor is the best idea! But maybe Shar wants to know more about where to consider b/f contacting anyone and wasting time in areas that won't suit.

I would look at the crime stats carefully. That does tell a story in itself.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Wow.. what an interesting thread. I don't know much about those areas in detail, but I wasn't very fond of the west side in that general vicinity. You have options at $140K. What are your interests, where is your job? Do you want malls or Lakes near you? Do you have or planning to have a 7 year old any time soon? $140 can be a decent starter home or town home, or a perm home, depends on what you want. If you provide some other details we could also recommend some other areas if you want.

Also, when did CD turn into, go look it up, go drive it, do a search. If you look at 75% of the questions on here they may have been answered before, but sometimes you want recent data or others opinions who may have just joined. Also I am sure this is no ones only resource so they are asking our opinion. If you can't help why bother posting. I am with Loves, lets help our Posters out.
City Data does just that. CD provides statistical data (full demograhics) on every zip code one wants to search. Wouldn't you think that suggesting "do a search" is meant "do your homework..all this data is available. Let's face it, there are many things people would like to say about a nabe but won't on line. RE agents don't say anything negative b/c of law and PC.
One needs to extrapolate data and form a picture in their mind from the data.
It's not that hard and I think more factual then listening to some of our own self servering opinions.

I still thnik, and that's MY opinion, that search a nabe at different times of the day will yield more results. But, as I said, in my post everone has a different style..that's my style and the advise I gave to the OP.
Sorry if you took offence to my advise. I didn't charge the OP poster much so no harm done.
je

Old 11-09-2008, 04:52 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,673,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
City Data does just that. CD provides statistical data (full demograhics) on every zip code one wants to search. Wouldn't you think that suggesting "do a search" is meant "do your homework..all this data is available. Let's face it, there are many things people would like to say about a nabe but won't on line. RE agents don't say anything negative b/c of law and PC.
One needs to extrapolate data and form a picture in their mind from the data.
It's not that hard and I think more factual then listening to some of our own self servering opinions.

I still thnik, and that's MY opinion, that search a nabe at different times of the day will yield more results. But, as I said, in my post everone has a different style..that's my style and the advise I gave to the OP.
Sorry if you took offence to my advise. I didn't charge the OP poster much so no harm done.
je
I agree search a different times of day, weekend, weekday, etc. I did that. I just meant.. people who wrote.. Why ask us, just do a search, with nothing more to add.

Anyways.. I am off my soapbox.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
I agree search a different times of day, weekend, weekday, etc. I did that. I just meant.. people who wrote.. Why ask us, just do a search, with nothing more to add.

Anyways.. I am off my soapbox.
Me too. Two plates of pasta and eggplant parm did me in.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 PM

5 posts, read 10,011 times
Gee, thanks, people.

If someone asked for advice about a neighborhood I knew about, I'd be more than happy to share the honest truth of what I knew, but I guess that's just me.

Yes I do have a realtor, but he isn't allowed to tell me anything. And I've asked him what I thought were general questions. I have to say that I grew up in Gastonia and still do all of my business there, so I admit that I may have a distorted view on Charlotte. However, I'd be concerned about any city I'm not familiar with....I don't want to buy a house in a gang zone or up the street from projects.

Furthermore, I have driven through the areas I mentioned. I saw a few people. The homes looked nice enough, but only the people that know the city really know the deal with certain areas. At this point I'm not seriously considering Charlotte, so no I haven't gone out and conducted interviews or looked up crime reports. I just thought that someone who knows Charlotte would be able to offer their honest opinion on those neighborhoods.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:47 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,472,947 times
Most folks that I know don't live in west Charlotte because its generally a high crime area. But you can also discover that by looking at the CMPD website. Why bother asking about those neighborhoods if you aren't seriously thinking about moving to Charlotte in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte