Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:37 PM

5 posts, read 11,382 times

Advertisements

Hi...I live in Mt.Holly and I'm thinking about buying a house. I'm considering the Western part of Charlotte so I'm not too far from home. I don't know Charlotte well at all but I've been looking at Belmeade Green, Hidden Creek, Sonoma Village, Wilson Glen, Trentsby Plaza.

My worst fear is to buy a house in a gang zone or around the corner from housing projects or something. What do you think about those subdivisions I mentioned? Are they decent? Obviously my price ceiling isn't that high. I'm looking for a nice area below $140k.

Thanks.
please reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 01:04 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,027,604 times
Please read the many threads on this forum concerning this subject. Also consult the charlotte mecklenburg crime stats available online for every neighbourhood in the city. Do a search...and you willl find!

Old 11-08-2008, 05:31 PM

221 posts, read 724,239 times
I recommend that you do your research. You can start with Community Crime Information System and also make sure you drive through the areas that you are looking into during different times of the day. Stopping to talk with neighbors will also give you insight in that particular neighborhood.

There are also many properties that are in your price range in Mt Holly. best of luck.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:42 PM

5 posts, read 11,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Please read the many threads on this forum concerning this subject. Also consult the charlotte mecklenburg crime stats available online for every neighbourhood in the city. Do a search...and you willl find!

I searched but did not find anything to my satisfaction. Is there anyone who can address my post directly?

Old 11-08-2008, 10:21 PM

223 posts, read 537,785 times
Have you got a car???? The west side of Charlotte starts less than 3 miles from downtown Mt. Holly!!! Just drive around the corners to see what's there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardreamer View Post
Hi...I live in Mt.Holly and I'm thinking about buying a house. I'm considering the Western part of Charlotte so I'm not too far from home. I don't know Charlotte well at all but I've been looking at Belmeade Green, Hidden Creek, Sonoma Village, Wilson Glen, Trentsby Plaza.

My worst fear is to buy a house in a gang zone or around the corner from housing projects or something. What do you think about those subdivisions I mentioned? Are they decent? Obviously my price ceiling isn't that high. I'm looking for a nice area below $140k.

Thanks.
please reply.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:07 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,190,813 times
gang zones and projects? I just have to lol at some of this absurdity.

When I was looking for my first house I contacted a real estate agent for a lot of the vital information that folks inquire about around here... is that not common anymore? Do you have a real estate agent? I would recommend one, especially if you are not intimately familiar with the area. When I finally selected a neighborhood I could afford I made it a point to visit a few times at different times of the day/week to see who was walking around, how many kids, how many loud stereos... and I talked to people walking around the neighborhood... the single best source of information for an individual neighborhood. Who has better information, the guy who drives BY a neighborhood every day, or the guy who LIVES there?

Contact an agent, and take a drive to the neighborhood this afternoon. Maybe you'll meet your future neighbor.

And good luck.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:20 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,696,751 times
Default Not common anymore.

[quote=Native_Son;6080244]gang zones and projects? I just have to lol at some of this absurdity.

When I was looking for my first house I contacted a real estate agent for a lot of the vital information that folks inquire about around here... is that not common anymore? Do you have a real estate agent? I would recommend one, especially if you are not intimately familiar with the area. When I finally selected a neighborhood I could afford I made it a point to visit a few times at different times of the day/week to see who was walking around, how many kids, how many loud stereos... and I talked to people walking around the neighborhood... the single best source of information for an individual neighborhood. Who has better information, the guy who drives BY a neighborhood every day, or the guy who LIVES there?

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
Don't you know that checking out houses at different times of the day are sooooo old style? Don't you know that you can fire up your computer and find out all there is to know about your $200k investment from a remote location?

Shame on you to suggest one should visit their "proposed nabe" at nite. Hey what if something happens to them while checking it out? Or to see how many kids get on school buses at 7:30AM? How many young families are hanging at the community pool? How many beat up falling apart trucks and cars are parked in the driveway? Salsa and barchata music at decibel 10 blasting day and nite in the house next store? Why should they spend all that time in person when they can "let their fingers do the walking"?

BTW--loved your post..just needed a touch of my wise guy humor.

Last edited by pink caddy; 11-09-2008 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-09-2008, 07:46 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,190,813 times
John... I like your wise guy humor!

Goodness knows we can use a laugh wherever we can find one these days! Sorry for going so "old-school" on you, lol.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:33 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardreamer View Post

Thanks.
please reply.
Come on guys, be nice!!! Our op can ride around the area all day long but that still won't tell him what he wants to know - are these "safe" neighborhoods. He's just looking for some feedback since he doesn't know the area

I am not sure where Trenstby Plaza is, never heard of that one. The others all have the same school assignements - which isn't great at the high school level. I think Wilson Glen is probably the best situated location. In general, the closer to Mt. Holly you are the better. Hope this helps.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:08 PM

747 posts, read 2,104,456 times
[quote=lovesMountains;6082653]Come on guys, be nice!!! Our op can ride around the area all day long but that still won't tell him what he wants to know - are these "safe" neighborhoods. He's just looking for some feedback since he doesn't know the area

Also- only their 2nd post, so I always cust some slack to the newcomers (as I was last year at this time).
Saying that, I did 95% of my research via the laptop, as we were living in SoFla and only flew up to look at houses that met our criteria. We saved countless hours by eliminating houses or even neighborhoods that we didnt like just by researching on the web.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte