U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 10:44 AM

21,888 posts, read 27,167,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have been to DC for several Inaugurals over the decades . . . and it is not the easiest thing to pull off unless you have made reservations waaaaay in advance (as in, over a year in advance). If you have a friend to stay with . . . now that would be different. But the traffic just stops . . . lots of walking, cold weather . . . and even if you have an invite to attend some of the parties in the city, they are not what you think they would be like. Things are crowded, you can't hear anyone, never enuff room to actually dance, fight for the hors d'oeurves, LOL, etc.

If you have a friend or group of friends who can provide you w/ a place to stay . . . then maybe you can make it work. Otherwise, eating out is horrific (everything will be so crowded) . . .

You might aim for staying in Baltimore and then taking the metro into DC, but I have no idea what they will be doing w/ the transit system (as far as modified scheduling). These are things you really need to think out ahead b/c I know you want to participate in an historic event, but if you get pushed out into the hinterlands, can't see a thing . . . you may end up wishing you had stayed home where you can get a nice view from watching CNN.
LOL, yes, Ani, Baltimore is an option & if they're filled up, Wilmington DE or Philly, with access to DC via Amtrack's Acela trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 10:51 AM

7,106 posts, read 9,705,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilw63 View Post
My sister and I will be heading out on that Monday, staying with friends in MD and riding the metro from MD to DC. We just want to be in the mist of the day, so if we dont make it to live inauguration we plan on watching it from somewhere in DC

Sorry can't make it but I'll contribute some "mist". Crying at home.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:20 PM

1,907 posts, read 4,448,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Omg Cnn just reported that there will be estimated 3 million people for the inauguration.

I would be tempted to ride one of the charter buses which are probably counting blessing for these ticket sales but things like this or NYC new years eve I always wonder about my bladder control.
"Depends" on how long you'll be out there. I hear you can get almost cross country without having to stop. Just "depends"...............

Old 11-22-2008, 10:30 PM

21,888 posts, read 27,167,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorway View Post
"depends" on how long you'll be out there. I hear you can get almost cross country without having to stop. Just "depends"...............
rofl +10

Old 11-23-2008, 06:23 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,038,363 times
I will be working, millions depend on it...

Old 11-23-2008, 09:40 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
I just wonder how many people making the trek to DC have actually spent any time in DC in January!!! It can be miserably cold . . . very damp . . . and snow and nasty puddles all over, plus ice at night. ICK!!! I used to go there annually in Jan for a convention and trust me, it can be miserable (and remember - I don't mind cold weather - have lived in Boone and Kansas). It is a DAMP cold and it smacks you in the face if the weather gets nasty.

If you are going, PLEASE make sure you have very warm clothing and a confirmed place to stay. So many people are saying they are going to CAMP or stay in their cars!!! DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!

I am going to be home where it is warm - watching the festivities on TV - where I know I will get a good view of everything.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:35 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,642,097 times
Inauguration crowd estimate soars to 5M :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: 44: Barack Obama (http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/1291564,inauguration-barack-obama112008.article - broken link)

Old 11-23-2008, 11:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,506,947 times
lord I cant even stand getting up tier arena seats where what I am viewing is only a spec. I can me on Pennsylvania or with 5 million about a half mile away . I guess the crowd could do the wave so everyone would know when he passing by. Sure you sayin ol they will have video monitors but the monitor is by kitchen.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:09 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,154,343 times
Way too crowded and way too cold....we are heading to Disney that week instead!

I will watch it from the comfort of my hotel room.

Dawn

Old 11-23-2008, 12:10 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Way too crowded and way too cold....we are heading to Disney that week instead!

I will watch it from the comfort of my hotel room.

Dawn
Now . . . THAT sounds like a plan to me!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte