U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 07:34 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,287,465 times

Advertisements

Here's something you guys might want to keep in mind when you look at your credit card statements. Seriously, read the post.

A few weeks ago I'm checking my mail and I get this postcard that my email address for my Reservation Rewards membership was invalid, to make sure that you have a valid email so you can take advantage of this amazing, heart stopping, fantabulous program. I'm like, I didn't sign up for anything having to do with Reservation Rewards. However they did get that email address right....how did they get that?

Go back inside, I'm sitting here for a bit and eventually take another look at this postcard. I'm going back as to when I could've signed up for this because it's freaky how they got my email. I google the company and find that they're some sort of a scam, a scam that has a monthly fee attached to it. As I'm making the transition from confusion to anger, I pull up my credit card info. Sure enough, there's a 12 dollar monthly charge from Reservation Rewards listed. I call up the number. I ask the woman how I got on this program as I never signed up for it. Apparently it was tucked away, hidden very nicely during the checkout process when I bought a Led Zeppelin blu ray disc about a year ago from buy.com. I was getting charged 12 dollars a month for the last 11 months. I get her to cancel this membership and hung up. After about a minute I call them back, getting a different woman. Wasting no time I told her to refund the entire balance as I didn't sign up for the program. Without a hint of an argument she agreed to do so. I get my statement today and it shows a long list of -12.00 on it.

Going back and looking them up, buy.com isn't the only way they nail you. Someone had it happen to them using Fandango (even after Fandango rejected his order). Many other retail websites associate themselves with this "company" and wind up signing you up without you knowing it.

So it might not be a bad idea to do a little CC housecleaning and see if there's anything erroneous on your card lately. And if you do see something from them, fight them on it as they will refund you the entire amount.

Last edited by BrianH1970; 12-09-2008 at 08:25 PM..

Old 12-09-2008, 08:14 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,129,181 times
WOW, Brian,thanks for the warning!

The problem that I've been seeing lately from my Shell CC (thru Citibank) is that they are charging me late fees or interest even though the balance is paid in full several days (to a week) before the payment is due.

Each time, they refund it to me, but, now, I have a permanent "account in dispute" heading on that account on my credit bureau because it has happened so many times!

Old 12-09-2008, 08:18 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
WOW, Brian,thanks for the warning!

The problem that I've been seeing lately from my Shell CC (thru Citibank) is that they are charging me late fees or interest even though the balance is paid in full several days (to a week) before the payment is due.

Each time, they refund it to me, but, now, I have a permanent "account in dispute" heading on that account on my credit bureau because it has happened so many times!

And that's intentional. I heard about that little scam about a week or so ago. Apparently it's being done as a method by some banks to recoup losses. There are a lot of people getting hit with late fees even though they've paid the bill early. Which is a dirty, sneaky, low-down way of doing business.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:23 PM

Everyone....watch your bills!

Old 12-09-2008, 08:51 PM

457 posts, read 1,228,948 times
Thanks for the heads up on that Brian....BTW, I'm streaming the "schmooz"...

Old 12-09-2008, 09:01 PM

g'nite all....

Old 12-10-2008, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgdad1 View Post
Thanks for the heads up on that Brian....BTW, I'm streaming the "schmooz"...

"Me here, you there...schmoozing...even taking calls from all you Icelander fans..."

Old 12-10-2008, 05:06 AM

1,907 posts, read 4,453,676 times
Thanks for the heads up on the credit cards. I pay much less attention to my statements now that they come on-line. One card that I've had since 1985 recently wanted to cancel me. We "bounced" a check. I can't remember what we did wrong, but I think DH wrote a check from our old Md account or something. Anyway, this counted as "late". This would have been the first time in 23 years that a payment was late and the first time they would have made a penny of interest off of us as we never carry a balance. They were going to drop us!!!!
A banker friend of ours said they don't like those of us who don't carry balances because they don't make any money off of us, but still have administrative fees. (what about the 3 0r 4 percent they get off the merchants???) This "late" payment gave them the excuse to drop us.
This was not a "rip off scam", but I really dislike credit card companies anyway. Thanks for listening...........carry on.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:22 AM

290 posts, read 719,259 times
Good morning!!!!!

Old 12-10-2008, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the credit cards. I pay much less attention to my statements now that they come on-line. One card that I've had since 1985 recently wanted to cancel me. We "bounced" a check. I can't remember what we did wrong, but I think DH wrote a check from our old Md account or something. Anyway, this counted as "late". This would have been the first time in 23 years that a payment was late and the first time they would have made a penny of interest off of us as we never carry a balance. They were going to drop us!!!!
A banker friend of ours said they don't like those of us who don't carry balances because they don't make any money off of us, but still have administrative fees. (what about the 3 0r 4 percent they get off the merchants???) This "late" payment gave them the excuse to drop us.
This was not a "rip off scam", but I really dislike credit card companies anyway. Thanks for listening...........carry on.

You and poodle are up early...geez...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte