U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 07:51 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,791,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
DH took the kids to Stonecrest last night to try to get a glimpse of Will Smith. They arrived right before him and luckily got a place to stand that was reserved for press. Guy yells out "these guys arent coming " so my kids stepped right up. Escalade pulls up a minute later, out he steps, and starts "high fivin" the kids along the red carpet. My son gets a high five and then he HUGGED my daughter!!!!! How cool is this for them???
Son is happy cause prior to that the only celebrity he's seen was Richard Simmons!! DH was happy cause he didn't have to hang around for the ceremony. They figured it wasn't going to get any better than that and got the heck out! Cool Beans!!!
VERY COOL BEANS INDEED!!!

I love Will Smith....very talented actor & family man, not too shabby looking either. He has the best laugh!

The kids must have been soooo excited!

BxRosie

Old 12-12-2008, 08:04 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,387,244 times
Super cool Doorway!

Old 12-12-2008, 08:15 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
Quote:
Ani, did you check to see if your school had a site? Brian sent me one on our old school and it was very cool. I was also able to put myself on there for anyone to contact me and was able to see who was available to be contacted. I would guess the reunion planners would check there as well? Just a thought?
Yeah, they have stuff on the website for the younger grads, but for old alumni like me . . . nada. The majority of people I graduated with are still w/in a few miles of where they grew up . . . and they all know how to reach each other. If I really wanted to "find" a particular person, I could get on the phone and start calling people's parents, but that's the thing . . . I don't wanna have to go thru/ all that. At our 25th year anniversary, they sent an invite to me in care of my parents , w/ a questionnaire that asked how many grandchildren do you have and that totally wigged me out. I mean . . . GRANDCHILDREN??? My kid was still in elementary school. And I was in Kansas at that time . . . so I didn't respond, so I think they have kind of marked me off the list, if you know what I mean.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:48 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,126,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So agree . . . that is def what is happening to my friend. Funny thing is, she and I have been talking about this for months - we saw it coming. She thought I was being paranoid when I said - you write emails and that way, it is documented. Now she sees I was trying to help her CYA and is sooo glad I insisted. Sometimes, it is hard when you are in the middle of a situation b/c you don't want to over-react or get suspicious or attribute nefarious motives to your co-workers - so it was easier for me to see it as an outsider. Unfortunately, this kind of crap goes on way too frequently and usually, the person who ends up getting screwed had no clue what was coming. Some people play hardball and are very slick at backstabbing, twisting things around, blame shifting, etc. And so many managers are fooled by this kind of manipulation.

I was given the book "Swimming with sharks" back in the 70s, I believe . . . and so much of that still holds true today. Some people are just calculating JERKS.
Ani, you are exactly right. Unfortunately, the "shark" in this case is actually my manager who I really thought was my friend. She blindsided me earlier in the year and since then I have really been on my guard, but, trying to think positively, trying not to think that she would stoop that low again...unfortunately, not true. But, when I called her on it, there were excuses made, but, no apology. The end result was that she did what I wanted/needed and that was all I needed.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
DH took the kids to Stonecrest last night to try to get a glimpse of Will Smith. They arrived right before him and luckily got a place to stand that was reserved for press. Guy yells out "these guys arent coming " so my kids stepped right up. Escalade pulls up a minute later, out he steps, and starts "high fivin" the kids along the red carpet. My son gets a high five and then he HUGGED my daughter!!!!! How cool is this for them???
Son is happy cause prior to that the only celebrity he's seen was Richard Simmons!! DH was happy cause he didn't have to hang around for the ceremony. They figured it wasn't going to get any better than that and got the heck out! Cool Beans!!!
WAY COOL!! I had heard that he was this really down-to-earth kind of guy. That is great!!

Old 12-12-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I graduated from high school a looooooong time ago, and really am not in touch w/ anyone much from my class. I moved away and the only person I am in contact also moved away - we both moved back here about the same time. I checked out some of the websites where you supposedly post your name and others can contact you, but they all charge a fee and I am not interested in doing that at all.

Anyone know of a way to find out who else is out there who may be looking for classmates? My class has had some reunions along the way (I was told by a former classmate that I ran into in an airport years ago) but they didn't have my address so I didn't get an invite. (Or maybe they just didn't want me there????? HEE HEE)

Any suggestions?
Did you try Classmates.com? I found my best friend there....after loosing her for a few years...

OR, they are saying Facebook is a good place....

Old 12-12-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Did you try Classmates.com? I found my best friend there....after loosing her for a few years...

OR, they are saying Facebook is a good place....

Yes, I signed up on classmates and 3 people have signed my "guestbook" but they won't let me see who until I sign up to pay a monthly fee. ????? Is that what you did?

Old 12-12-2008, 08:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,586,358 times
Facebook is a good place and I was amazed about how many people are on that site that I knew. You can also get a preview of people you know and add them if you want. One of my best neighborhood friends as a kid message me last week that I lost touch with. I didnt care for classmates.com due to I dont want to pay to what they look like now.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Ani, you are exactly right. Unfortunately, the "shark" in this case is actually my manager who I really thought was my friend. She blindsided me earlier in the year and since then I have really been on my guard, but, trying to think positively, trying not to think that she would stoop that low again...unfortunately, not true. But, when I called her on it, there were excuses made, but, no apology. The end result was that she did what I wanted/needed and that was all I needed.
Early in my career, a person stepped forward (from another department) who essentially made herself available as a mentor. Long story made short - she knew a job was opening (I didn't) that I should have been promoted to and she wanted it. It turned into a nasty situation and that is when I learned - sometimes, the people you think are on your team, AREN'T. Pretty sad.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Yes, I signed up on classmates and 3 people have signed my "guestbook" but they won't let me see who until I sign up to pay a monthly fee. ????? Is that what you did?
yeah, I think I signed up for the minimum amount; but, during that time, I was voracious in using the site contacting as many people as possible and using my regular e-mail in my profile. Once I found who I wanted, then, I canceled.

However, another person then found me and e-mailed me later. because I had my regular e-mail in the profile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.