U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-15-2008, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,311 posts, read 4,223,211 times
Reputation: 1088

Advertisements

Yeah, all that "amending the soil" talk freaked me out, so I just put them in a planter with potting soil and Miracle-gro. I think the planter maybe wasn't big enough, but regardless a less than stelar outcome. I had envisioned tomato and mozzarella salads all summer, snacking on them in the yard. Not so much.
And yes, I'm originally from Wisconsin. Several stops since then, but I was born in Green Bay. Lived in Chicago, too, and grew up on the Cubbies in the Ryne Sandberg days.

 
Old 11-15-2008, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,104,253 times
Reputation: 2323
you know, it's funny....I see people tilling up their entire front yards and then re-planting the grass...spending oodles of money on grass seed, fertilizer, etc....then, they park on it! I really don't understand...

In Chicago, (as you may remember), we LOVE our grass. But, we only throw down some seed in the spring and it grows! Like carpet! Of course, you would never consider walking on it, let alone DRIVE on it...maybe that's the key? My dad used to dig out dandelions by hand with this fork-looking thing and then put a little grass seed in the hole. My grandmother planted Christmas trees for goodness sake...and, they grew!! Not so much here. I have spend so much money on my front yard, it is not even funny. Now, the latest thing is the holly bushes that I planted get over-run with grass??? What is up with that?? And, you can't even kill the grass because to do so would also kill the bush...I am at a loss, here.

Guess that is why there are so many landscapers out here.

PS: Loved Ryne-o. Miss my Cubbies!
 
Old 11-15-2008, 10:01 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Reputation: 22370
Rant for the day. Been an AmEx customer since 1982. Have my business card as well as personal card. Just got a letter - they are canceling my extended pay option!!!! And they said - too many credit cards, too much debt. Well BS!!! And I have been late on nothing in literally decades. The problem came in, evidently, when DH made the mistake of getting yet ANOTHER AmEx card thru/ Costco b/c he was told there were all these benefits to doing so. Well, also got a letter this week from that AmEx/Costco card saying the rates had changed, benefits had changed, blah blah. We never should have taken out that card!!!!

I heard AmEx has changed their business model. I have done business w/ them for 26 years and this is how I am getting treated. I am sooooooo disgusted!!!!!!
 
Old 11-15-2008, 12:12 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,858 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Reputation: 8929
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I planted some encore azaleas when I first bought my house. Unfortunately, they died a slow, painful death. Not sure what I did to kill them....
Were they planted near the foundation?
 
Old 11-15-2008, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,104,253 times
Reputation: 2323
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Were they planted near the foundation?
well, yes...in front of the house. Does that make a difference?
 
Old 11-15-2008, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
3,356 posts, read 8,863,939 times
Reputation: 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Rant for the day. Been an AmEx customer since 1982. Have my business card as well as personal card. Just got a letter - they are canceling my extended pay option!!!! And they said - too many credit cards, too much debt. Well BS!!! And I have been late on nothing in literally decades. The problem came in, evidently, when DH made the mistake of getting yet ANOTHER AmEx card thru/ Costco b/c he was told there were all these benefits to doing so. Well, also got a letter this week from that AmEx/Costco card saying the rates had changed, benefits had changed, blah blah. We never should have taken out that card!!!!

I heard AmEx has changed their business model. I have done business w/ them for 26 years and this is how I am getting treated. I am sooooooo disgusted!!!!!!
Phone them up and tell them to change it back or else.

I have bullied every CC I have ever had they don't like to lose my business.
 
Old 11-15-2008, 04:52 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Phone them up and tell them to change it back or else.

I have bullied every CC I have ever had they don't like to lose my business.
That is what I will have to do. But dern. What a way to treat long time customers who have been on time. I am so exasperated. Plus, we NEVER would have gotten that Costco AmEx if we had known they were NOT going to honor the benefits they said went with it. We only got that card LAST MONTH!!!! AARRGGHHH. I think we will just cancel that one.
 
Old 11-15-2008, 05:03 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,858 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Reputation: 8929
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
well, yes...in front of the house. Does that make a difference?
Yes, azaleas like acidic soil & lime leaches out of the concrete of a foundation. If you plant azaleas or rhodos near a foundation you have to continually treat the soil to make it acidic & counteract the lime leaching from the foundation.
 
Old 11-15-2008, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,104,253 times
Reputation: 2323
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yes, azaleas like acidic soil & lime leaches out of the concrete of a foundation. If you plant azaleas or rhodos near a foundation you have to continually treat the soil to make it acidic & counteract the lime leaching from the foundation.
WOW!! Well, thanks for that! Wish I had known you a few years ago!
 
Old 11-15-2008, 05:53 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,858 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Reputation: 8929
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
WOW!! Well, thanks for that! Wish I had known you a few years ago!
LOL, you're welcome! NP, I know that my family learned all of these things the hard way when we left the midwest. I forget how many azaleas died a prolonged, painful death for my parents before someone in the neighborhood took mercy on them & told them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:29 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top