U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-15-2008, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,311 posts, read 4,232,072 times
Reputation: 1088

Advertisements

While I don't doubt the statistic, the story read more like an article in The Onion. That's definitely one of my favorite news sources (that and the NY Times)!

Wonder if the Huffington Post has taken some of their writers?! I miss those college days of picking up an Onion for some between-classes reading. Ah, free time...

 
Old 12-15-2008, 03:27 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
Sad, but true. It would be interesting to know the socioeconomic and regional break down of those surveyed.
That's the first thing I thought, Scarlet. I mean . . . really . . .
 
Old 12-15-2008, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Right where I want to be.
4,507 posts, read 8,031,514 times
Reputation: 3332
I wonder how many people were just being *smart* as well. I mean come on...the only thing on the map is America and someone marked the legend?? If it was a WORLD map then it seems more plausible (unfortunately).
 
Old 12-15-2008, 04:47 PM
 
1,877 posts, read 4,315,937 times
Reputation: 1243
I had a coworker, who was fairly educated (an ER nurse), who told her child that New England was a state. When she realized it wasnt, she had a friend or relative (I swear this is true) make up tourism literature for the state of "New England". Now, while we all laughed about it later, I was more than a little dismayed! If that can happen, I have no doubt that people could miss pointing out America on an American map.
 
Old 12-15-2008, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,577 posts, read 2,388,956 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
I had a coworker, who was fairly educated (an ER nurse), who told her child that New England was a state. When she realized it wasnt, she had a friend or relative (I swear this is true) make up tourism literature for the state of "New England". Now, while we all laughed about it later, I was more than a little dismayed! If that can happen, I have no doubt that people could miss pointing out America on an American map.
<shakes head> That is so sad.
 
Old 12-15-2008, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,577 posts, read 2,388,956 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
I wonder how many people were just being *smart* as well. I mean come on...the only thing on the map is America and someone marked the legend?? If it was a WORLD map then it seems more plausible (unfortunately).
I wondered that as well.
 
Old 12-15-2008, 05:36 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Reputation: 22375
People are just DUMB!! Some people are so wrapped up in the tiny little minutiae of their own daily lives . . . they never listen to the News, never read a newspaper . . . some can hardly read, anyway. . .

I actually have known quite a few people like this! They repeat what they "hear" (especially when it comes to politics) . . . they never get out of their own little cocoon, wh/ involves daily activities and things that are going on right around them. They are lucky to get the clothes washed and the kids out the door w/ their books in the morning. They can tell you what Angelina Jolie is doing but they cannot tell you who the Vice President of the US is. Or they can give you the Monday Night Football line up and they can't tell you who their Senator is.

Y'all know people like this!!! They can tell you what is on sale at Dillards but they can't name the three branches of the government. And if you ask them how schools get funded, they say something like Fund Raisers and school lunches, HEE HEE HEE.
 
Old 12-15-2008, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,577 posts, read 2,388,956 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
Y'all know people like this!!! They can tell you what is on sale at Dillards but they can't name the three branches of the government. And if you ask them how schools get funded, they say something like Fund Raisers and school lunches, HEE HEE HEE.
ROTFL......... you mean schools AREN'T funded that way?
 
Old 12-15-2008, 06:09 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
ROTFL......... you mean schools AREN'T funded that way?
 
Old 12-15-2008, 06:22 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Reputation: 22375
NOTICE TO ALL INTERESTED:

I have had a request to do a long distance REIKI healing and have scheduled it at 10 am EST. For all who are interested in receiving energy, no prep is needed - just quiet attentiveness at 10 am, when I will send it out into the Universe to all who are in need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:37 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top