Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 06:26 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the kind words. I decided a long time ago that I'm not going to let any of this stress me. It's not worth it.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:23 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I am a mortgage underwriter. I basically underwrite home equity loans with a small percentage of purchase money loans. I previously underwrote sub prime mortgages. The recruiter was looking for someone familiar with FHA/VA/government mortgages. I did that early on in my career but it has been many years and they were not willing to train or refresh your knowledge. SO, that just did not work out for me. I have been in the business since 1990; 10 years as a property manager and now going on 9 with all forms of mortgages with the exception of sales. I have processed, underwrote, been a closer, post closer...all of it.
Will keep an eye (and ear) out for anything interesting. A guy who I helped decide to move in to our community works at Sun Trust. I need to pay him a visit. He owes me...

ETA: On that note, we are in the midst of a refi with USBank, who currently holds our first mortgage. We are doing an electronic close on Monday, and they have underwriters and a separate closing company that is out of state. Would you want to work from home? I think this might be the way to go.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:31 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,982,267 times
Speaking of re-fi's............Anyone refinancing and have you been given any good rates? I'm looking to pay no "junk fees" and no points. Best I got so far is 5 1/8. Anyone have someone I should call????

Old 01-15-2009, 07:49 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
When you have a job with benefits, own a home, aren't a senior citizen or a veteran, then no, there's nowhere to turn to. I might qualify for Food Stamps, which, if I do, I'll take advantage of. Beyond that, no. I regret that I've not attended any church in a long time. I know that they are typically a valuable resource for times like this.
Just an aside . . . I will bet your fellow church members would welcome you back w/ open arms and be genuinely concerned and supportive if you started going back. Or you could choose a different church. Churches are for people who NEED support and when something occurs in one's life that impacts that need - those are the times when the fellowship is so important. If you are worried that people would think "oh, he is in a tough situation so NOW he comes back" - that is not what they will think at all. They will think - so glad we can embrace him and be supportive. Really. If they don't think that way, you need a new church, LOL. Spirituality has nothing to do w/ attending church (IMHO). You can be a very spiritual, God centered person and not attend church. But gathering w/ others to hold hands and help each other get thru/ the challenges of life (and to celebrate the joys!!) is really what it is all about.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:59 AM

I haven't been to church in a really long time, partly due to the problems I have with trying to get out of the house and leaving her alone for a few hours. I will now start looking for one here in the Huntersville area, and go from there.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I haven't been to church in a really long time, partly due to the problems I have with trying to get out of the house and leaving her alone for a few hours. I will now start looking for one here in the Huntersville area, and go from there.
I hope you find a good church home.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:43 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,191 times
Superk my heart goes out to you. You are truly an incredible husband. I hope and pray that things will improve for you and your wife and that you get the help and support you need.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:43 AM

105 posts, read 406,416 times
Default Superk

Superk...at that out of pocket cost, have you looked into someone taking care of her at your home? My mother has worked as in home certified nurses' aid for years and you could probably find a great person that would attend to her the way that you would like. I have worked in nursing homes and elderly homes and let me tell you that although some are not bad, it is just difficult for people to be taken out of their home and told when they can eat, when they can walk and when they can sleep. It can be quite a shock to anyone.

Christina

Old 01-15-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtinax01 View Post
Superk...at that out of pocket cost, have you looked into someone taking care of her at your home? My mother has worked as in home certified nurses' aid for years and you could probably find a great person that would attend to her the way that you would like. I have worked in nursing homes and elderly homes and let me tell you that although some are not bad, it is just difficult for people to be taken out of their home and told when they can eat, when they can walk and when they can sleep. It can be quite a shock to anyone.

Christina
In case Superk doesn't come back for a while . . . just thought I would clarify a bit - Superk has been working on finding solutions for his wife's chronic and debilitating condition for probably 18 months or longer and has diligently searched out every possible way to provide care. He has gone the home care route . . . he and his wife are a young couple. His wife needs consistent round the clock care. This is an unusual situation.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:03 PM

My first instinct when I started all of this was to quit working so I could stay at home full-time. Everyone I talked to universally agreed that as a 40-year old it would not be in my best interest to give up a career and a salary and a pension and a 401K and most importantly health benefits.

The biggest problem is that in-home care costs at least that much, if not more, and won't give me the 24x7 type of coverage I need. It also can't address the other issues like providing her with some socialization with someone other than cranky, tired old me, activities to keep her busy, transportation to and from doctors, and the environmental issues such as wider hallways and doors, accessible toilets and showers, and everything else. I also like the fact that there will be real nurses who can monitor her condition and deal with those frequent non-emergency issues that arise from her constant falls. This also gives me the opportunity to hopefully be able to get more un-interrupted sleep during the night.

What always concerned me was, if I had to pay this much anyway for the in-home care, and as a result we went into reposession of the cars and foreclosure on the house, then what? I can live practically anywhere without much bother. But, what would I have done with her in that case? At least this way she's taken care of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte