U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-18-2009, 12:52 PM

1,860 posts, read 3,254,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
Thanks, Doorway. They live in MD, so I won't see the little guy for a while. I shouldn't say little, though. Little man is 10lb, 10oz.
WOW... that's some big baby, lol!!!

CONGRATULATIONS Cheesehead to you & your family!!!

BxRosie

Old 01-18-2009, 12:55 PM

35,386 posts, read 42,406,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Thats legal???? Have you called the credit card companies and let them know you would be paying off the loan and cancelling your card? This is outrageous!!!! Are companies still offering low rates if you switch balances? It was wise to take these low interest loans Ani and I'm sure you never imagined a bank could change the terms of a loan. Could it be that the interest rate is 11 on future purchases??? I'm boiling mad and it's not even my money!!!!.
You would think it would be future purchases but DH and I read the info over and over and it clearly says - existing balance!!! I am so upset. Yes, I will call them but I know what I will hear. There is also a line in there that is outrageous. It says "We reserve the right to change any of the terms of this account at any time and for any reason." To think we bailed out these banks and they are such JERKS!!!!!!! And our Congress has allowed them to do this!

There is a law that passed by Congress but it wont' go into effect til June of 2010 (or July?) that prohibits CC co's from raising rates like that, but as you can see - the lobbyists got that delayed so damn far into the future - that all the CC co's will have already changed the terms in 2009 - so what the hell help was it to pass a bill that doesn't go into effect til a year and a half?

No one is looking out for the American citizen. We are getting financially raped every way we turn.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:57 PM

1,312 posts, read 3,037,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
WOW... that's some big baby, lol!!!

CONGRATULATIONS Cheesehead to you & your family!!!

BxRosie
Thanks, BxRosie! Apparently, my kids were the family runts at 8'6 and 8'13! I received some pictures this morning, and the kid looks full grown! He's a doll, though. Can't wait to meet him!

Old 01-18-2009, 01:07 PM

35,386 posts, read 42,406,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
Thanks, BxRosie! Apparently, my kids were the family runts at 8'6 and 8'13! I received some pictures this morning, and the kid looks full grown! He's a doll, though. Can't wait to meet him!
So happy for you! And uh, RUNTS!! Whew! My poor little baby was premature and weighed about 5.5 lbs when I brought him home - newborn clothing was too large for him! I had to buy DOLL CLOTHES to fit him the first two months!!! SERIOUSLY! Doll clothes! Now he is over 6'2" tall, LOL.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:16 PM

7,042 posts, read 8,685,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You would think it would be future purchases but DH and I read the info over and over and it clearly says - existing balance!!! I am so upset. Yes, I will call them but I know what I will hear. There is also a line in there that is outrageous. It says "We reserve the right to change any of the terms of this account at any time and for any reason." To think we bailed out these banks and they are such JERKS!!!!!!! And our Congress has allowed them to do this!

There is a law that passed by Congress but it wont' go into effect til June of 2010 (or July?) that prohibits CC co's from raising rates like that, but as you can see - the lobbyists got that delayed so damn far into the future - that all the CC co's will have already changed the terms in 2009 - so what the hell help was it to pass a bill that doesn't go into effect til a year and a half?

No one is looking out for the American citizen. We are getting financially raped every way we turn.
Ani, you are correct in being furious. I would be just as furious. The banks are trying to raise their profits at any turn. That is why I pay all cc bills in full and take it out of savings if necessary. Not giving them any more money than I have to!!

Old 01-18-2009, 01:20 PM

701 posts, read 627,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh - just want some opinions and to alert others . . . I have great credit scores, no bad marks for anything, and pay on time. I have two credit cards that have low interest rates on them "for life of loan." One, I put my DH's hearing aids on and that one is at 4.99 % fixed for life of loan. The other we put dental work on and that one is at 2.99% fixed for life of loan. One has about $1400 on it and the other has about $4000 on it. I have been happily paying more than the minimum for two years on one and three years on the other (dental work is so high . . .) Anyway, both cards were w/ banks that have been taken over by Chase, evidently.

I have gotten notices for both cards saying they are changing the terms of my credit card agreement. In reading the fine print, it says that all interest rates are being set at 11.xx% (can't remember exactly what) VARIBLE and they have changed the way they compound interest and minimum amount due, etc.

I am furious. These were things we had to purchase - bridgework and hearing aids - and my savings goes to college costs for my son - so it was not wise to deplete my savings. Having fixed low interest "loans" was an ideal solution to pay for needed dental work and hearing aids. I don't see how these banks can arbitrarily change the terms so drastically when I have never been late, always paid more than minimum . . . but they can! Congress passed laws that allow them to do this! Our Congress SUCKS and the banks have them in their pockets.

I think this is outrageous. But I have no recourse except taking money out of savings and paying off the cards, wh/ I probably will do w/ the lower balance. But damn!!!! I am sick of being ripped off when I have played by the rules.
Thanks for the warning

Old 01-18-2009, 01:44 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,604,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
WOW!! So...because you & your wife don't have kids & that makes you 2nd class citizens with your family??!!?? I'm sorry that your family has treated you & your wife so badly Brian.

Coming back to NC was the best thing to do for you & your wife. The distance btwn you & your family is the best buffer & to hell with what everyone else in NJ thinks. Your life is here, with your wife. You have each other to worry about, to love & to face life with. As I see it, it's their loss.

BxRosie

Thanks for the well wishes but it's slowly being put behind us now and I'm a far stronger person now than I was 6 months ago (which was still pretty strong to begin with). You would be shocked at what rolls off of my back these days. I'm in a place in my life right now where I'm a few pieces a way from being fully content. I'm very much content with my surroundings, with what I have, that I have a couple of good friends who live about ten minutes away and a guy I consider a brother above all about a half an hour away. Mentally I'm in a really good place and I know that once those last few pieces come together it'll be even better. It's nothing but upside in coming back here. I still get homesick from time to time but I'm going to satisfy my New Jersey fix hopefully starting sometime this summer.

<I'm going to resurrect my favorite thread in a little while with some youtubes that'll knock my fellow NJ/NY'ers for a loop, maybe anyone else who wants to look>

Let 'em enjoy their life as it is, with the upstairs thermostat set at 82 degrees in August, where the idea of a long road trip from Toms River is seeing the sign "Now Entering Middlesex County", where they can find it within themselves to stiff two unemployed family members on a bill by lying about electricity usage, where they can isolate themselves from the rest of the world and concentrate on their little five year old savior, even at the cost of the two who did the responsible thing: not having children knowing they couldn't put 100% into it.

And I'll refer back to a line I used in a thread from a few days ago: Better them than me.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:29 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,211,157 times
We went up to Asheville yesterday to take a look at UNCA for my son. He was starting to have 2nd thoughts about App State because he really did not look at any other colleges down here. He was also rethinking his career choice and just unsure of what he wants to do. After spending the day up there it confirmed to him that App State was the right choice for him and his father and I agree.
We drove on the Blue Ridge Parkway and it was really beautiful. The parkway was closed in some areas and we ended up going down a very long, narrow, curvey dirt road. It was a little scary but beautiful and we all laughed about it and were telling scary stories, we had a lot of fun.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:34 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,604,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
We went up to Asheville yesterday to take a look at UNCA for my son. He was starting to have 2nd thoughts about App State because he really did not look at any other colleges down here. He was also rethinking his career choice and just unsure of what he wants to do. After spending the day up there it confirmed to him that App State was the right choice for him and his father and I agree.
We drove on the Blue Ridge Parkway and it was really beautiful. The parkway was closed in some areas and we ended up going down a very long, narrow, curvey dirt road. It was a little scary but beautiful and we all laughed about it and were telling scary stories, we had a lot of fun.

The only time I've been to Asheville was to see Widespread Panic at the Civic Center, Halloween night 2007. That is one happening little town when the sun starts to go down. Not much by way of chain establishments, a fairly loose atmosphere and the open use of a certain earthy substance reminded me a bit of Greenwich Village sans Washington Square Park. Really nice town.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:45 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,183,781 times
I hope you have as good a sense of humor as I think you do.

Here it comes...........................

You should rent "Throw Mama From The Train" ERRRRWINNNNNN
Might make you feel better or give you some ideas. We love ya, Brian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte