U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 05:04 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,193,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Oh ANI!!! Miss Scarlet never looked so cute!!!! I just want to squeeze her tight!!
Thank you Loves and Doorway! Yeah, I am awfully attached to - and proud of - my sweet furkid.

She is down w/ her daddy by the fireplace, where I am going shortly!!!

Hope everyone has had a good day . . .

Old 01-20-2009, 05:19 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,374,905 times
Awesome dog. I don't see chows often, especially as house dogs. When I am able to be home more often I want to get either a bullmastiff or German shepherd.

Is the snow still there? I am now in Northern Illinois west of Chicago, and it is 6 degrees outside. I can't wait to get back to the Carolinas.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 PM

There are only remnants of the snowfall in shady areas . . . now I have quite a bit visible around my house, but we have woods and lots of shade.

German Shepherd and Bull mastiff - nice choices. Chows are not for everyone (in fact, I think a lot of people who have them probably should not) but I have a background in obedience training and enjoy the challenge of a strong-willed, intelligent doggie. My sweet girl is a love bug . . .until she thinks property or family are being infringed upon or challenged, and then she gets . . . well . . .upset.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:45 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,133,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Post 'em Ani if you get any. Morning everyone. I'm in Mt Vernon, IL, waiting to get unloaded and up to DeKalb, IL this afternoon. It's 15 degrees outside and snow flurries.
DeKalb?? My cousins live in DeKalb!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There are only remnants of the snowfall in shady areas . . . now I have quite a bit visible around my house, but we have woods and lots of shade.

German Shepherd and Bull mastiff - nice choices. Chows are not for everyone (in fact, I think a lot of people who have them probably should not) but I have a background in obedience training and enjoy the challenge of a strong-willed, intelligent doggie. My sweet girl is a love bug . . .until she thinks property or family are being infringed upon or challenged, and then she gets . . . well . . .upset.
Ani, I have to tell you, I never had a problem with chows...but, last night, DS told me that the dog that attacked, and killed 14 of his beloved pet chickens was a chow/german shepherd mix.

Ms Scarlett looks lovely, though. I am sure that she wouldn't want to eat a live chicken just scratching about. (would she??? )

Old 01-20-2009, 06:53 PM

Small world! I am in Rochelle tonight, will deliver in DeKalb in the morning, then going to Carol Stream to pickup a load going to Beech Island, SC. Something tells me the weather might be a little warmer when I get there.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Small world! I am in Rochelle tonight, will deliver in DeKalb in the morning, then going to Carol Stream to pickup a load going to Beech Island, SC. Something tells me the weather might be a little warmer when I get there.
My cousins live just a few blocks from the University...so, just wave at the Cooks from me!!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:25 PM

I will.

BTW, Ani, you want some of this snow? I'll bring you a bucket if ya want.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:29 PM

852 posts, read 2,218,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have a background in obedience training and enjoy the challenge of a strong-willed, intelligent doggie.
Really, I have just adopted a large lab pup (about a year or just under a year) and I had forgotten how bouncy they can be. He is hyper and I bought the gentle lead headgear but I can't get to grips with it. Tonight I have just bought the collar and choke combo to see if I can control him better on walks. Any advice about walking would be gratefully received. I am worn out!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Ani, I have to tell you, I never had a problem with chows...but, last night, DS told me that the dog that attacked, and killed 14 of his beloved pet chickens was a chow/german shepherd mix.

Ms Scarlett looks lovely, though. I am sure that she wouldn't want to eat a live chicken just scratching about. (would she??? )
Oh, heavens, no. I have to say it - and I sure hope someone has had a different experience, but I have never seen a Chow-mix that worked. I have had trainers tell me that, too. Chows are natured more like cats and I think when you mix the genetics/personality traits w/ other breeds- it just doesn't always come out too well. Ordinarily, a well bred chow will stay on its own property and guard its own space - and not have the desire to mess w/ other people's spaces. They are very good in apartments, condos and inside, b/c they sleep all the time and are not very active dogs. Oh sure, she loves her walkies - and all my chows have always like running in sprints, but not for long periods. They are homebodies.

Scarlett is the belle of the ball here in the neighborhood, b/c she loves kids and also is very protective of everyone's property. She barks if anyone pulls into the neighbors' houses. She is the reason I always know what is going on in the neighborhood - she was trained as a guard dog and she takes her "patrol" duties very seriously. The neighbors all love her b/c she has bonded w/ them as a pup . . .

However, I had the scare of my life once from a poorly bred chow who was just plain mean . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte