U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 03:20 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Thanks Ani, I actually got the wattle one right. This is the first year in a LONG time that I'm not cooking. We're heading to Savannah to have Thanksgiving with my In-laws. I'm kinda looking forward to being served.
Oooooooohhhh! A Savannah Thanksgiving!!!! How neat!!! That sounds wonderful . . .

Old 11-20-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
I heard a rumor that the Charlotte forum has another person with a well deserved Gold Star...

Congrats!
OMGoodness!!! How bout that! Mystery, I had not noticed . . . I had thought last week that the count was getting up towards 1800. Thanks to all who have endured my posts, Hee Hee.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:29 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,317,232 times
ani congrats on the star!

Old 11-20-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
ani congrats on the star!
Thank you, Ren! But really - as I said - it is b/c you all have put up w/ me, LOL!!! So I am the one who needs to thank all our CD members.

We have a super group on our forum . . .

Old 11-21-2008, 07:02 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,476,002 times
so is it to late to put fertilizer on the lawn. I realized I forgot to do it....

Old 11-21-2008, 07:22 AM

852 posts, read 2,214,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
so is it to late to put fertilizer on the lawn. I realized I forgot to do it....
Leave the leaves on there - they are great for the lawn, then you can fertilize in Spring.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:26 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,007,999 times
I think it is too late for fertilizer and probably moving plants around too, I didn't get my gardenias relocated either. Once the temps start dropping at night I leave things alone until spring.

Be careful with leaving too many leaves in the lawn or flower beds though. They provide a layer for mulching but they can mat together and prevent water and airflow into your lawn and beds. If you have a way to mulch the leaves that is great but you don't want a thick layer of leaves all winter. I blow all but the last leaves out of my flower beds and then rake the remainder into the mulch, to break them up a bit.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I think it is too late for fertilizer and probably moving plants around too, I didn't get my gardenias relocated either. Once the temps start dropping at night I leave things alone until spring.

Be careful with leaving too many leaves in the lawn or flower beds though. They provide a layer for mulching but they can mat together and prevent water and airflow into your lawn and beds. If you have a way to mulch the leaves that is great but you don't want a thick layer of leaves all winter. I blow all but the last leaves out of my flower beds and then rake the remainder into the mulch, to break them up a bit.
Good advice, especially if you have a lot of leaves that will stick together and get wet and nasty in flower beds.

We blow everything off the driveway and sidewalks and then run the lawnmower - sometimes w/ bag, sometimes not - all depends how many leaves we are dealing with. We have done this twice so far - once w/ bag.

QC: DH says go ahead and spread the fertilizer. It will help your roots during the winter. Get the "winterizer" type of fertilizer (Lowes can help). DH put his down about 10 days ago. I guess he knows what he is talking about, LOL!!! He checked into this so I guess that is good advice.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:13 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,007,999 times
We mow/mulch as many leaves as we can and leave them on the lawn. Since our lot is wooded we don't have much of a real lawn anyway so it isn't hurting and it sure is faster than raking or blowing them all. Even so, we use the blower a lot by the time we clear the driveway, beds and around all the trees (otherwise the leaves collect around the trunks).

We've done the leaves 3-4 times already. It needs it again now and probably once more after that unless the wind blows enough of them away. I love the trees here but the leaves....

I didn't know there was a winter fertilizer?? I listen to the gardening show on WBT and they have been telling people to wait for spring. But hey, don't listen to me...I don't even have a real lawn. LOL

Old 11-21-2008, 08:14 AM

21,853 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post

Yank, I totally agree on the leaf removal, but if your mower bags, don't rake or blow, mow. then dump the leaf pieces around acid-loving plants or in a compost pile. The pieces are far less likely to blow around & will compost faster.

I did that for years & can say that it really works well. I would mow up my leaves, then go out again in early December & mow the leaves up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte