Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 02:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
At least the way I'm familiar with it, it's "sauce" with the actual type preceding it.

Marinara sauce
Tomato sauce
etc., etc., etc.. Gravy was always the stuff you put over smashed potatoes.
Okay, that is what I always thought. I fix marinara sauce or primavera sauce to go w/ my pasta.

And gravy, to me, is usually made from meat pan drippings, sometimes w/ water or milk (or both) added.

But then I see Italians refer to gravy and it has to mean "sauce" as in - a "red sauce" such as marinara sauce.

And I always have wondered - was this a regional thing - to refer to "sauce" as "gravy?"

Old 11-24-2008, 02:30 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Yes, but in the South gravy can be white or brown gravy. I'm not sure what white gravy is called up North because we didn't have it there, white sauce maybe?? Gravy was always something made from meat broth, it can't be white. LOL Do y'all put white gravy on potatoes or just on various forms of country fried meats??

Wait...where are you getting this "white gravy on potatoes" stuff? It's beige, like turkey gravy!

Rule of thumb: If it's red it's a sauce (except for Hollandaise, that's a sauce too)
If it's brown or beige, it's gravy.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, but in the South gravy can be white or brown gravy. I'm not sure what white gravy is called up North because we didn't have it there, white sauce maybe?? Gravy was always something made from meat broth, it can't be white. LOL Do y'all put white gravy on potatoes or just on various forms of country fried meats??
Hmmmmm. Well, I have heard it called white sauce, yes, but here in NC, what I grew up hearing was chicken gravy, brown gravy and red-eye gravy. Then there was also giblet gravy.

In other parts of the country, I have never heard anyone say "chicken gravy" so I think that is very regional to western NC.

I have never fried steak - even my salisbury steak and cubed steak are not crispy fried - they are seared and then cooked for several hours on very low heat to get really tender (and make a "self" gravy - add some water and spices). I know people who deep fry their cubed steak - so it is very crispy. I had no idea this was called "chicken fried steak" until I moved to the Midwest. I was quite puzzled when I first heard that term - and then people said - well that is a Southern term! I thought - HUH? Never heard it before. That was served (in the Midwest) w/ what I would call a white sauce or white gravy.

The gravy I was taught to make uses flour and pan drippings and water and for white gravy - more milk than water.

Red Eye gravy is made w/ water and a dash of coffee (when one cooks Cured Ham).

But again - this may be very regional to western NC.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:41 PM

677 posts, read 2,238,170 times
Ani, maybe you can answer this one...

What the heck is Chicken Friend Chicken. I know what it is, but why not just called it fried chicken?

I ask because this is what I get at Rock Bottom Brewery. I always found it funny on the menu

Old 11-24-2008, 02:57 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Wait...where are you getting this "white gravy on potatoes" stuff? It's beige, like turkey gravy!

Rule of thumb: If it's red it's a sauce (except for Hollandaise, that's a sauce too)
If it's brown or beige, it's gravy.
I can't remember where I was but I ordered something that came with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy. It came with white gravy!! It had pepper in it so it wasn't totally white, but it sure wasn't a meat gravy but it was almost the same color as the potatoes. I'll try to remember where, I think we were out of town but still in NC.

BTW, I gave the mashes potatoes and gravy to DH and he ate it right up.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
Ani, maybe you can answer this one...

What the heck is Chicken Friend Chicken. I know what it is, but why not just called it fried chicken?

I ask because this is what I get at Rock Bottom Brewery. I always found it funny on the menu
See - they said that "chicken fried chicken" and "chicken fried steak" thing in Kansas City! I was like - HUH?????? To me - its fried chicken and fried steak.

I bet Rock Bottom Brewery is owned by a corporation out of the midwest. I am gonna check!!!!! Chicken fried chicken and chicken fried steak are just odd terms to me!!!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I can't remember where I was but I ordered something that came with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy. It came with white gravy!! It had pepper in it so it wasn't totally white, but it sure wasn't a meat gravy but it was almost the same color as the potatoes. I'll try to remember where, I think we were out of town but still in NC.

BTW, I gave the mashes potatoes and gravy to DH and he ate it right up.
YES!!! We have had the "white gravy" too - but it was made from sausage pan drippings!!!! Yes, SAUSAGE!!!! And put over mashed potatoes.

ETA - and I am talking about Jimmy Dean type sausage, not Italian sausage. I mean - those crispy round things - sausage patties.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:11 PM

Rock Bottom Brewery - looks to me - their corporate headquarters is in Louisville, Colorado!!! Maybe they all say "chicken fried steak" and "chicken fried chicken" out there, LOL!!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 03:17 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,209 times
You guys are making me hungry! I need to go cook something yummy now.....LOL

Old 11-24-2008, 03:19 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,024,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post

BTW for those that don't yet know this website is fake!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte