Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 06:25 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ikea makes good quality stuff at low prices, but then again, if you look at the carton the stuff comes in...... it's all made in China. I have two of those Poang chairs they're giving away for the first 100 customers. They are extremely comfortable, but they're hard for old people to get out of. I can't recall how many times I helped my Aunt Mary get out of the chair when she came for a visit. In fact, I'm sitting in one right now, typing this on my laptop which is sitting on one of those "Tablemate" adjustable trays. When I bought mine, the chair frame itself was $59 and there were several optional seating pads to buy. The weird thing was that a red seat pad made of the same material as a blue seat pad was priced twice as much. I couldn't figure out the logic in that. A leather seating pad was $99, the blue $19 and the red $39.
It's that red dye. LOL. Now that is nutty, Em. You gotta wonder . . .

Well, dern. I thought Ikea was made in Sweden. It used to be, right? God, is the whole world MADE IN CHINA?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:38 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Facebook??? I'm on Facebook...still trying to figure out some stuff there...having fun with it. Who wants to be my friend????

BxRosie
I will!! DM your info!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:43 PM

We need to get everyone signed up!!! LOL!!! Glad to DM you all and get hooked up on FB . . .

Old 02-17-2009, 06:48 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
hi, guys

looks like y'all had a great day!

I got some news today...apparently, my boss is putting me in for a promotion. I have italicized that because on the other hand, we are told that the entire department is hanging by a thread.

Not sure what is going on, but, I am very grateful. Need everyone to send prayers/good wishes because even if the job ends, it will be great on the resume!!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
hi, guys

looks like y'all had a great day!

I got some news today...apparently, my boss is putting me in for a promotion. I have italicized that because on the other hand, we are told that the entire department is hanging by a thread.

Not sure what is going on, but, I am very grateful. Need everyone to send prayers/good wishes because even if the job ends, it will be great on the resume!!
Well, alright, CHI! So glad it was good news!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:12 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It's that red dye. LOL. Now that is nutty, Em. You gotta wonder . . .

Well, dern. I thought Ikea was made in Sweden. It used to be, right? God, is the whole world MADE IN CHINA?

Ani,
Yeah, I do believe that it ALL is made in China. Too bad this country won't stop buying it and leave it there.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:30 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Thanks Rosie, I didn't know Bernhardt had stores. They have th dining room set that I'm interested in. Now I HAVE to take a roadtrip.
Southbound, AC moore has my childrens' college fund in their register.
Doorway, I've been shopping at AC Moore since there was one store.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Ani,
Yeah, I do believe that it ALL is made in China. Too bad this country won't stop buying it and leave it there.
You know, in the late 90s . . . maybe 98/99 . . . I started getting really concerned about all the Chinese imports, so I decided I would not buy anything unless it was made in America (or in some other country I think is a more preferable trade partner - such as Italy, France, etc)

The first thing I went out to buy were some blinds. I could not find anything that wasn't manufactured in China. And so it went.

Later that week, I needed birthday candles. I could not believe it - even the birthday candles were made in China.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:19 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,980,371 times
In second grade or so, my daughter was assigned to write about what country she would like to visit and why. She said China because thats where all her stuff were made!!!! Very cute, but not funny.
Maybe in high school she'll say because thats where all out jobs are?
We should send out peanut king from Georgia over there? (name?) I'll pay the air fair!!

Old 02-18-2009, 06:14 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,825,036 times
One of our friends does that when he shops, always reads the label to see where the item is made. He does the best he can not to buy products made in China. His wife and I used to antique together at the local outdoor antique mart. He and DH came one time as he was looking for some tools, the older tools, made in America! Here are a couple websites to check out.

stillmadeinamerica.com
toysmadeinamerica.com
americansworking.com
madeinusa.org
madeinusa.com

I am going to have to kiss my Levi's good-bye and say hello to Lucky, True Religion and 7 for All Man Kind. Lucky's aren't too bad priced, I actually have 2 pair and like their fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte