U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 06:06 PM

20,491 posts, read 25,691,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Brian, when I was a freshman in college (a looooooong time ago) I wrote a paper on the societal benefits of legalizing marijuana. I wish I still had that paper, as I still wholeheartedly believe what I wrote is spot on.

For one thing . . . the marijuana would be tested as to strength and quality, thus assuring consistent product on the market. Plus, it would completely cut out all the need for illegal drug trafficking (in pot) and that alone would cut down on crime. And it would cut down on the dollars that are literally removed out of circulation here in the good ole USA . . . as the product would be bought and sold right here - so no money having to be laundered or carried out of this country (and becoming part of the GDP for Mexico and Canada and god knows wherever else the stuff is grown).

I think there is enuff historical data just from my generation to show that there are people who have smoked pot for decades and never used any other drug - so can that "gateway" theory. People who smoke pot are mellowing out, not looking for the experience one gets w/ cocaine or (shivers) heroin. Not that I would know! I am so against drugs - I don't even like to take tylenol (bad for your liver) unless I have no choice and need some kind of pain killer.

But for the life of me . . . I don't see how one can drink alcoholic beverages and then be so rabid against marijuana. ????

So I have been in favor of legalizing marijuana for a long time, b/c it would benefit society by 1. raising tax revenue 2. reducing criminal activity 3. keeping our dollars at home 4. keeping the product pure/free of contaminants. 5. de-criminalizing medicinal use for glaucoma and cancer patients.

There are other reasons, too, but those are off the top of my head.
Don't forget hemp, Ani. Reopen some of these closed mills...

Old 02-24-2009, 06:08 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,242,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I already haev a scholarship!

I would help out my mom a bit and spend some on me and then save the rest
Spoken like a good son . . .

Old 02-24-2009, 06:11 PM

18,264 posts, read 6,947,844 times
Thanks!

Do you have any kids Ani?

Old 02-24-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Don't forget hemp, Ani. Reopen some of these closed mills...
Hey - I am all for it. More discussion tonite on CNN - I think Lou Dobbs. Evidently, Oregon and CA are both talking about it . . .and then some nay sayer was on saying how this would increase crime.

Okay, I don't see that. If it is legal - who would want to buy the "bootlegged" stuff? I think it would cut down on cartel activity. The prices would fall so it would seem to me - it would not be the cash crop it is now to the Mexicans.

Hemp - a great product. So versatile. Let's see - seems to me Thomas Jefferson was a big proponent of the uses of hemp and how it could be a valuable crop here in "the new world."

Old 02-24-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

Do you have any kids Ani?
I have a son who is the joy of my life . . . he is 25. He is a fine young man and a good son. I also have a wonderful step-son who I like to claim as my own, LOL!

Old 02-24-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have a son who is the joy of my life . . . he is 25. He is a fine young man and a good son. I also have a wonderful step-son who I like to claim as my own, LOL!

I bet your a wonderful mother!

Old 02-24-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I bet your a wonderful mother!
DS says I am the best, but I know he just says that so I will keep transferring the funds to the checking account, ROFL!!!

In all seriousness . . . being a mom is the highlight of my life. Nothing more important - nothing more wonderful. Well, of course, I am proud of being a wife, too! Have a hubby I adore - he is soooo intelligent and I find him quite amusing, as well. Why he puts up w/ me - NO CLUE!!!

I really enjoy my work, too . . . but nothing compares to being a mom.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:25 PM

Well I am off to do a few things and then do the test!!

Nice to meet you Anifania821

Talk to you later

Old 02-24-2009, 06:26 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,942,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I don't think any statement will sell me on hitting up another forum than that one.
Under the Photography forum is a thread titled..

Redneck pictures. please post yours

It's 24 pages! I didn't go past the first page, will revisit tomorrow.

Shoot, I looked at more, seriously a photo of a loveseat used as a swing hanging from a tree! LOL Oh, it's gonna be good!

Old 02-24-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Well I am off to do a few things and then do the test!!

Nice to meet you Anifania821

Talk to you later
Bye, GDUDE!! Have a good evening! Nice meeting you, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte