U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 AM

1,311 posts, read 4,152,528 times

Advertisements

I'm back inside already, warming up from the first "playing in the snow" session of the day. It was all I could do to hold them off until after breakfast. AND we're out of coffee! I don't know how this could have happened. I always have a backup pound of Sumatra in the freezer. DH called and said it was actually pretty snowy and icy on the main roads, so my planned excursion to Starbucks might not be a good idea. Dang.
Watching a little "Happy Feet" with some hot chocolate. Not too bad!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,697,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Dear me. Just got word that my sister, in Mooresville, is without power! All underground utilities so I guess somewhere on the grid, a transformer blew or a powerline is down.
I have power Ani. We did get a outage last night, saw a green glow in the sky like when a transformer blows, but everything came right back on. We must have had another outage overnight, woke up to find all the clocks & answering machine off. Everything's been on since 4 am.

Took some pictures of the street, my backyard & crazy Duncan in the snow....he loved it. Just have to download & post.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:53 AM

I thought about you, too, Ani, with the ice on the trees. Glad that you, BxRosie, and everyone else on here has power. Although, I guess if anyone didn't have power, we wouldn't know. It's not like you could post to let people know!
We have underground lines, too, so I figured we'd be safe, but I'd forgotten about the possibility of things going wrong further back down the line. Whew! I'm not in the mood to be cold inside, too. My caffeine-deprived brain couldn't take it.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:14 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,416,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
I thought about you, too, Ani, with the ice on the trees. Glad that you, BxRosie, and everyone else on here has power. Although, I guess if anyone didn't have power, we wouldn't know. It's not like you could post to let people know!
We have underground lines, too, so I figured we'd be safe, but I'd forgotten about the possibility of things going wrong further back down the line. Whew! I'm not in the mood to be cold inside, too. My caffeine-deprived brain couldn't take it.
I called my mom and that is how I found out about my sis. Then got a message on FB from my sis - from her cell phone, LOL! I gotta get an iPhone . . . Good thing - her boys are out sledding so they are not inside bored. Hopefully, they will get the power back up.

I believe S. CLT got less snow than some of the areas further north. And it looked like Union Co may have gotten a lot. Strange the way the bands came through here. I am hopeful our power will stay on!

You all have fun w/ the kids!!! And to be without coffee . . . how the heck? Happened to me once in a storm, too . . . I was POSITIVE I had that additional bag of beans in the freezer! Hang in there, Cheesehead!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 09:46 AM

2,560 posts, read 5,955,317 times
Yes, got quite a bit in Weddington. My rain gage was filled with about an inch over the top. Dog has been out 3 times running like a mad man, he just loves it. Although he really hasn't gotten to run since last Thursday (the concussion incident), poor little guy. The kids across the stree were throwing snowballs and he was catching them. No loss of power and I have plenty of tea! Maybe I'll have some hot chocolate later. Took some more photo's so between our 3 snow days I should have a nice photo for my Christmas Cards next year.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 57,349,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Sunny, can we put a sticky up that shows the map of our unemployment numbers? People just seem to want to come here without jobs......
Ill review any threads that need to be sticky but I will need it sent to my public profile and not direct message due to I get alot of dm's

Old 03-02-2009, 10:24 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,009,142 times
I have to go out to the post office. I'll post about road conditions when I get back. Unless there's a wreck & in that case I'll have Ani throw up a post about it.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I have to go out to the post office. I'll post about road conditions when I get back. Unless there's a wreck & in that case I'll have Ani throw up a post about it.
I hope it's open, Barkingowl. DH just tried to mail a package for me in uptown (not sure which location) and they were closed. I guess "neither rain, sleet, snow" doesn't apply to us.
Or maybe that's just applicable to mail delivery. He's going to try the other uptown location that's close to him. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2009, 11:12 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,009,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
I hope it's open, Barkingowl. DH just tried to mail a package for me in uptown (not sure which location) and they were closed. I guess "neither rain, sleet, snow" doesn't apply to us.
Or maybe that's just applicable to mail delivery. He's going to try the other uptown location that's close to him. Good luck!
The Carmel Station branch is open & crowded. Driving is a little slushy on lower Carmel but perfectly safe to drive. There are a lot of sheet people out though. By sheet I mean the ones that are too lazy to remove the sheet of snow from their roof, trunk or hood.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
The Carmel Station branch is open & crowded. Driving is a little slushy on lower Carmel but perfectly safe to drive. There are a lot of sheet people out though. By sheet I mean the ones that are too lazy to remove the sheet of snow from their roof, trunk or hood.
Good to know. Glad you were able to get in!
And you must be feeling better if you're out and about. Good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte