U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-01-2008, 09:19 PM

12,678 posts, read 12,213,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartiPoodle View Post
YES.. the second of her books deals with Culloden, and other books how the Jacobites were banished to the colonies.. You may enjoy those books!
I'll be honest, there's a book online at the Library of Scotland that I read, now & then, when time allows.

It was compiled a few years after Culloden & includes 1st person accounts of the events leading up to Culloden, the battle itself, & the horror afterward. It's a bit more my speed, at this time. I'm after the hard-core history, for researching purposes, but if I have the time for the entertainment angle in the future, I'll look at them.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:57 PM

21,808 posts, read 38,300,551 times

Carol of the Bells - Celtic Woman

Old 12-01-2008, 10:20 PM

290 posts, read 514,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'll be honest, there's a book online at the Library of Scotland that I read, now & then, when time allows.

It was compiled a few years after Culloden & includes 1st person accounts of the events leading up to Culloden, the battle itself, & the horror afterward. It's a bit more my speed, at this time. I'm after the hard-core history, for researching purposes, but if I have the time for the entertainment angle in the future, I'll look at them.
That sounds very interesting, would love to hear about that book! it was actually the reading of her books that got me interested in my scots heritage

Old 12-01-2008, 10:21 PM

290 posts, read 514,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
ahhh Sunny I love Celtic Woman

Old 12-02-2008, 10:48 AM

3,185 posts, read 5,762,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Would it help if I volunteered a few hours a week, to help you out? I am a nurse, and do home care. I know it's not much, but it's the best way I can help. Also, maybe I can make suggestions on alterations/accomodations to help facilitate keeping your wife in the home. There are plenty of generous souls on this site- maybe we can work together to help you through at least part of this most difficult time.
Hoagie58, thanks for the offer - I'll let you know if I need to take you up on it.

Today, in about half and hour, a women from the state is going to stop by and assess the physical environment. There is money available from the state to pay for equipment and renovations if they are suggested and can be done. I'm not, however, going to be holding my breath. I'm going to have to insist that any radical changes that would affect our house's resale value down the road will need to have funds readily available to "undo" them.

My brother and SIL in Indianapolis have offered to let me live with them at no cost if I need to give up the house/car/food to pay for the Assisted Living. I'm currently looking at jobs for that area. I'm trying to check on the costs for a facility there in case there's a large gap in pricing. The big problem is that her condition really worsens in cold weather, and of course getting around in ice & snow becomes a major problem.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:58 AM

35,117 posts, read 41,615,063 times
Hopefully, any changes will not be that big of a deal w/ resale.

I have this checklist as one wh/ I use w/ my parents. They have a home wh/ needs retrofitting to meet their needs as they age. You doubtless already have a list, but in case anyone else is interested, here is the link. A lot of these things won't affect the re-sale of a home to a family as opposed to someone w/ special needs. This one is geared to the elderly but the principles are the same for anyone w/ special needs.

Affordable Home Plans Utilizing Universal Design Guidelines: Falcon Homes Inc.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
That sounds very interesting, would love to hear about that book! it was actually the reading of her books that got me interested in my scots heritage
Here's a link to the library. Have fun.

National Library of Scotland

Old 12-02-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
ahhh Sunny I love Celtic Woman

YouTube - Celtic Thunder - Christmas 1915

Old 12-02-2008, 11:34 AM

852 posts, read 1,598,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I went to see this group recently in Charlotte and being Irish was very excited about seeing what are being hailed as one of Ireland greatest singing groups. I was rather disappointed. They never connected with the audience at all. They sang all their songs one after the other without so much as an explanation about the song etc or even any chatting. Then when they started to sing "Puppy Love" well I gave up on them. Sorry. I did speak to my mother in Ireland the next day and told her I had been to see them. She said she had never heard of them. They are obviously a big US sensation but haven't gone down too well in the mother country.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:53 AM

3,198 posts, read 5,872,034 times
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how many folks on this board have read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series? In the third book they end up in NC about the Scots settling in.. pretty interesting.. I was just wondering if any of those places like Mt Helicon actually exist? She does write about Charlotte and Mecklenberg County
In one of her books she is pictured with standing stones, the are actually in Callanish, Isle of Lewis.

The nearest "stones" to Culloden are Clava Cairns and they are burial mounds from 4000 years ago.

In case you are wondering I am from Inverness and my Sister lives in Culloden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte