Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 09:31 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,093,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
aaand nummmmmbbb.

I just spent two hours blowing and mowing leaves and only did one side of the front yard!! Well, it is the larger side, maybe I'll fffinish this afternoon...maybe I'll let DH do it, if it doesn't rain.

I don't even want to look at the back yard. It's 4-5x as large as the front.
Oh my - I am impressed. Out so early!!! You go!!!

I do fear it is gonna rain, tho. Unfortunately, DH has a meeting all day - he was hoping to get some mulching done this afternoon b/f the rain starts but forget that now. DS will be here and could help this weekend, but the rain may mess that up, dang it.

I can't manage the lawnmower these days - bad wrists. Of course, that is just a good excuse to make sure someone else has to do it, Hee Hee. I can manage blowing the leaves, tho. At least that is something.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:39 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,026,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh my - I am impressed. Out so early!!! You go!!!

I do fear it is gonna rain, tho. Unfortunately, DH has a meeting all day - he was hoping to get some mulching done this afternoon b/f the rain starts but forget that now. DS will be here and could help this weekend, but the rain may mess that up, dang it.

I can't manage the lawnmower these days - bad wrists. Of course, that is just a good excuse to make sure someone else has to do it, Hee Hee. I can manage blowing the leaves, tho. At least that is something.
The thought of rain is the only reason I was out so early. DH has been traveling but will be home after lunch today. That's the only reason I quit too....thinking he might be home to finish before the rain...LOL

"Hi Honey...did you have a nice trip? I missed you. *Smooch* Here's the leaf blower...get busy before it rains."

Our leaf blower is heavy and tires my wrist. Last week, when I did the entire front yard at once, I strained it a little and needed ice and ibuprofen. If I keep it up maybe I won't have to do leaves at all next year.

I still have to pull out the annuals and put down more mulch too. By the time I get all the fall stuff done it will be time to put up Christmas lights.
It never ends.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:44 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,607,726 times
Something I didn't know but kind of sucks. I've mentioned before that my older brother was a partner in a surveying business that worked exclusively with new builders, Niblock in particular. Due to the slowdown of construction projects, neither he or his partner have had any new work in over a year. They recently decided to officially go out of business. Since he's considered self-employed, and as a small company they didn't pay into FICA, he can't receive unemployment. So he has to live on abolutely zero income.

Not a good thing with no job prospects in the area.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
The thought of rain is the only reason I was out so early. DH has been traveling but will be home after lunch today. That's the only reason I quit too....thinking he might be home to finish before the rain...LOL

"Hi Honey...did you have a nice trip? I missed you. *Smooch* Here's the leaf blower...get busy before it rains."

Our leaf blower is heavy and tires my wrist. Last week, when I did the entire front yard at once, I strained it a little and needed ice and ibuprofen. If I keep it up maybe I won't have to do leaves at all next year.

I still have to pull out the annuals and put down more mulch too. By the time I get all the fall stuff done it will be time to put up Christmas lights.
It never ends.
No, it doesn't end. That is the joy and pain of home ownership, isn't it? LOL!!!

I have wrist braces but even DH decided that was pitiful about two years ago. My wrists were swollen and aching even w/ the braces, so everyone had mercy on me.

Now I am confined to pruning w/ the electric shears (they do very well and are lightweight enuff for me). We have TWO leafblowers - one wh/ is heavy duty that DS and DH can use - and a little one that I can handle. At least I can contribute somewhat. And yes, I can pull up in the flower beds and do some mulching.

I loved your scenario when DH returns . . . My hubby swears I spend my time writing up Honey Do lists for him when he is traveling!!! Not gonna say whether or not that is true . . .

Old 11-13-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Something I didn't know but kind of sucks. I've mentioned before that my older brother was a partner in a surveying business that worked exclusively with new builders, Niblock in particular. Due to the slowdown of construction projects, neither he or his partner have had any new work in over a year. They recently decided to officially go out of business. Since he's considered self-employed, and as a small company they didn't pay into FICA, he can't receive unemployment. So he has to live on abolutely zero income.

Not a good thing with no job prospects in the area.
That totally sux. Wonder if there is some way to transfer his skills or to get a job w/ a surveying company (I guess they may be laying off, too). What about GIS mapping - can he do that sort of thing or be easily trained for it? Just a thought.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:49 AM

Default Landscaping

I have a few "Flower carpet" ground cover roses in the front and side of the house that, while I like how well they do, I might pull up and move around to the backyard. I've been noticing a lot of entrances have groupings of pink-to-red flowering shrubs, with a dark-green shiny foliage, most of which are still flowering. Does anyone know what they are, are they a rose or an azalea?

Old 11-13-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What about GIS mapping - can he do that sort of thing or be easily trained for it? Just a thought.
Don't know. Unfortunately, the partner was the licensed surveyor, my brother was pretty much just skilled labor. And, he hates working indoors. Hopefully he'll find something else soon.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I have a few "Flower carpet" ground cover roses in the front and side of the house that, while I like how well they do, I might pull up and move around to the backyard. I've been noticing a lot of entrances have groupings of pink-to-red flowering shrubs, with a dark-green shiny foliage, most of which are still flowering. Does anyone know what they are, are they a rose or an azalea?
Well, not sure what you are seeing, but azaelas do not bloom this time of year, so I guess we can rule that out.

So that would lead me to think they could be roses but not sure about the dark green shiny foliage . . . ????

If you are looking for a rose that works well in groupings and stays low, I have had luck w/ Icebergs.

Here is a link that shows some picture of Hedge Roses. Could this be what you are seeing?

Jackson & Perkins: list/SimplicityRoses

Old 11-13-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Don't know. Unfortunately, the partner was the licensed surveyor, my brother was pretty much just skilled labor. And, he hates working indoors. Hopefully he'll find something else soon.
I guess openings in landscaping are rare, too.

What about powerwashing and staining decks? Investment - buy a powerwasher . . . print up flyers. This is a good time of year to do that. He could buy a good powerwasher using a Lowe's credit card and start right away.

Just a thought.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:03 AM

They just might be the Hedge Roses. A good example of what I'm thinking of are out in front of the entrance to Blythe Landing in H'Ville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte