Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:59 AM

624 posts, read 2,108,247 times

Advertisements

I gotta admit, I'm semi torn on this issue with similar opinions that have been expressed above.

One question/comment I am curious about is - was this video on the teacher's facebook page or a friends page? Often my friends will post pictures from events and 'tag' me on them. I make it a habit to 'detag' myself from the pictures, but someone still might recognize me and there's really no way you can force someone to take down a video. (not sure if I stated that clearly) If this is the case, even making your own personal profile private wouldn't do any good, you could still be in the situation if you didn't have a facebook page at all.

Nowadays, I think it's important for people to remember that anything you say, do, wear, whatever can be made public with the click of a button in a lot of cases. Maybe not the best of things, but at least worth keeping in mind.

Losing your job over some off the cuff comments does seem slightly extreme, but there is part of me that just wishes these 'code of conduct' agreements were enforced more universally and equally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 08:03 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Obviously, anyone who would use the bad judgment to post this type of thing is immature . . . and I think more training would be appropriate. But I do not think a young teacher should be fired for posting things on a website. Even highly compensated Executives are typically given time off for rehab should they have a drug or alcohol problem . . . seems to me, some additional training (w/ follow up assessment) would be the better way to handle such situations.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:04 AM

693 posts, read 2,176,083 times
My 2 cents...

Teachers have a right to a private life...BUT...there are rules of conduct for any profession and if you want to be a member of that profession you have to comply. Lawyers can be disbarred for "conduct not befitting an officer of the court". But usually if its not illegal its not serious enough for disbarment. So then it falls on the school board to be specific about what behavior is acceptable, and these standards need to be understood upfront as a condition of employment.

It's wrong to punish teachers for putting up facebook and myspace pages, if the standards are subjective and unclear. And it's ok to reprimand them, if the teachers knew what was expected and disregarded it. But... they shouldn't lose their jobs if its legal but just bad judgment.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:08 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,055 times
These teachers did something very stupid and should be punished. Fired? No, unless the teacher has had prior issues with conduct.

Have the teachers apologize and suspended WITHOUT pay for a week. I am against them attending some b.s. sensitivity training because the taxpayers of Meck. County will have to pay for it.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:10 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
I gotta admit, I'm semi torn on this issue with similar opinions that have been expressed above.

One question/comment I am curious about is - was this video on the teacher's facebook page or a friends page? Often my friends will post pictures from events and 'tag' me on them. I make it a habit to 'detag' myself from the pictures, but someone still might recognize me and there's really no way you can force someone to take down a video.
+1

I love Facebook and have connected with schoolmates from 30+ years in the past - it is amazing. At the same time I have never allowed myself to be photographed in risque behavior, not even so much as a drink in my hand. You never know where photos will pop up!

In this particular teacher case I have yet to read where the teachers' actual JOB PERFORMANCE was in question. Isn't that what really matters? Personally I would not fire an employee who told me they hated their job or called me a cracker, that is absolutely their prerogative to do so, IMHO. I also would not fire a person because I saw them partying or involved in questionable activity online - that is none of my business.

With that said, a school teacher does seem to be in some type of fiduciary role, above typical employees.
Possibly they should be held by a higher standard.

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
I seem to always be on the side of mercy rather than the letter of the law when it comes to employment issues, especially when the person is young.

Some people need guidance and to be taught what it means to be "professional." Many people are still very immature at 22-25.

Since no direct harm has been done to a child b/c of these posts - I find it too punitive to dismiss someone over them.

3,365 posts, read 10,021,674 times
I think it is a severe error of judgement, if I had pics of me partying, I would not post them where the public could see them.

I see co-workers posting drunken pics of themselves on facebook, some I swear if bosses saw they would have to seriously reconsider the employment, as I ahve seen drunken pics that identify the company a well.

Other than that they should get slapped on the wrist and told to be more careful.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:17 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,951,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post

One question/comment I am curious about is - was this video on the teacher's facebook page or a friends page? Often my friends will post pictures from events and 'tag' me on them. I make it a habit to 'detag' myself from the pictures, but someone still might recognize me and there's really no way you can force someone to take down a video. (not sure if I stated that clearly) If this is the case, even making your own personal profile private wouldn't do any good, you could still be in the situation if you didn't have a facebook page at all.

Nowadays, I think it's important for people to remember that anything you say, do, wear, whatever can be made public with the click of a button in a lot of cases. Maybe not the best of things, but at least worth keeping in mind.

Losing your job over some off the cuff comments does seem slightly extreme, but there is part of me that just wishes these 'code of conduct' agreements were enforced more universally and equally.

This brings up a valid point. What if you do have your profile set to private and yet your friend does not whcih in turn allows he world to see could this make facebook liable? I mean if I say private then it should carry through to the rest of the website no?

On the flip side I did a quick search on CMS on facebook and some of it is a little out of line. Especially the sub teachers.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:22 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Many people are still very immature at 22-25.

Since no direct harm has been done to a child b/c of these posts - I find it too punitive to dismiss someone over them.
Agree.

FWIW, I know 55 year olds that are immature.
Age might be tied to experience, but not to maturity...

Old 11-12-2008, 08:24 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times
I don't know, I had a teacher who openly hated students, to the point of facing her desk away from us so she didn't have to look at us. I hate to see any kids go through a year like that or knowing the teacher wrote on Facebook about how they hate their job, work in a ghetto, calling students names and saying "I hate my students".

I understand most of these teachers are just young and stupid rather than intentionally displaying hatred for students but teachers aren't supposed to be young and stupid, they are supposed to be mature, trained professionals regardless of their age. I have high expectations for my kids, as students, and I have equally high expectations for the teachers charged with their instruction. I wouldn't want my kids in their class. Maybe taking the rest of the year as a teacher's assistant will help them mature enough to come back again next year and handle the full responsibilities of teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte