U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 09:28 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times

Advertisements

Wulf - totally understand what you are saying. That is why I think it is best to temper the judgement w/ some mercy. How many of us would have posted stupid stuff at 22 if there had been something like Facebook around? I guess my thing is . . . no harm has been directly done to a child . . . so give the teachers an opportunity to become more professional (and grow up some!) w/o ruining their careers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 09:32 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,009,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
NCYank - you make good points (as always!) But I still think that young teachers should not lose their jobs over something like Facebook. For one thing, Facebook was not even in existence a few years ago and I don't think young people really understand what impact this can have on their entire lives.

So I guess my point is . . . immaturity should not be cause for losing one's career. Seems some mentoring is in order for these teachers.
I could go for that in some cases. However, is that even an option within CMS? Is there an opportunity to learn under the guidance of another teacher while these young teachers gain some balance and perspective of the career they have chosen?

Perhaps they ought to have a class for all graduating college seniors...How To Manage Your Private Life In A Public/Internet World.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:56 AM

462 posts, read 1,684,758 times
Kind of makes me think, "You get what you pay for!" Teachers here are grossly underpaid and I know of a few who have gotten fed up with being paid so little and asked so much to go over and beyond that they left for other career paths. If you start a teacher at $$20-24,000 your likely to get a handful of bottom of the rung teachers who may have not been able to get the job over other more experienced or better qualified(More professional) teachers had the salary been higher. By paying low wages you knock out some of the competition and are left with bottom feeders. I'm a firm believer that Teachers, Law Enforcement, Fireman and Doctors should be top earners in this country, not actors(ess) and Sports figures.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I could go for that in some cases. However, is that even an option within CMS? Is there an opportunity to learn under the guidance of another teacher while these young teachers gain some balance and perspective of the career they have chosen?

Perhaps they ought to have a class for all graduating college seniors...How To Manage Your Private Life In A Public/Internet World.
Hee Hee - that class ought to be offered to ALL college seniors, regardless of profession!!! I fear a lot of kids are posting stuff right now that they will sincerely wish they could erase in years to come.

I think a mentoring program would be the best thing for all school systems, but as far as I know, there is nothing like that here. A lot of high school teachers get caught up in trying to be "buds" w/ their students - and having a mentor on site to give them move perspective and help guide them would be invaluable. Maybe teachers need to "apprentice" the first two years or so . . . seems to me the majority of college graduates are still pretty immature at 22 or so . . .

Old 11-12-2008, 10:13 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,009,904 times
IN PA we used to have Student Teachers. They were either recently graduated or maybe it was a requirement before graduation, I don't remember. Some had their own classes while being supervised/monitored and others served more as a teaching assistant. It seemed like a good way to introduce them to the classroom setting, let them get a feel for the job before being turned out on their own. I don't know if that was a state requirement or just in our district but it seemed like a worthwhile program.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:46 AM

Yeah, here in NC, college seniors who plan to teach go thru/ a "student teaching" program as part of their curricula b/f graduating so as to get an A certificate. You would think that would help but evidently, it isn't enuff for some of these kids. It used to be the prospective teachers would teach for six weeks or so - not sure what it is now.

I think all new teachers should be assigned a mentor on staff to be their guide for the first two years. Maybe they already do something like that and I just am not up to date on my info.

If a teacher still does not have it pulled together after two years of teaching, they should find other work. Seems a mentoring program could be integrated into evaluation of the teacher's performance - and weed out the ones that have lousy attitudes or can't seem to grow up enuff to act like adults 24/7.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:08 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,383,864 times
I student taught for two years, it was built into our college program so that you had at least 3-5 hours of classroom time (2-3 days a week) each semester. We covered ethics in our Educational Psychology class and behavior outside of the classroom was discussed at length.

Plenty of young people know that what they post will be seen by others, it's kinda the point of MySpace/Facebook. The problem, IMO, is that they don't care. We pretty much live in an "anything goes" society now. Youthful indiscretion used to be 18-20 yr. olds, now we've bumped that up to 22-25 yr. olds. Makes one wonder how things will be in another ten years.

Being fired won't necessarily end someone's career. I know teacher's that have done worse than post pictures on Facebook who are still teaching (unfortunately). It's really a case by case basis left up to the administration. Most likely if they are a good teacher then they won't be fired.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:34 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,149,475 times
Well, I didn't think she should be fired, but I do think that her staying in her current school could cause some problems......maybe a transfer and mandated training of some sort? I really don't know what NC does in these sorts of cases.

I also didn't realize she was 22.....is that the case?

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I understand what you are saying, Dawn, and agree that this is immature behavior and certainly not what one would call "professional" behavior, but in reading that statement about "unethical or lascivious behavior" - I just don't think making statements about a school being "ghetto" or teaching "chitluns" or drinking a beer falls under that. I think being arrested and FOUND GUILTY for public intoxication, nudity, assault or embezzlement would fall under those terms - but not some statements and pictures on a website.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:58 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,302,761 times
I think the school feels they have to fire them. Who would send their children into school everyday to be taught by these teachers? Not me. I bet a lot of other parents feel that way, so how effective will these teachers be if no one will allow them to teach their kids. I don't think there is really a choice here.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:17 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,602 times
Hey if you were a teacher getting paid like they do and the stress they are under... I would drink more too. Though I may not post it.. Though my friends might.. MY EVIL FRIENDS.. who I LOVE.. and HATE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte