Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,507,591 times

Advertisements

What possesses people to post this kind of stuff?

CMS teachers disciplined because of Facebook pages | WCNC.com | Local News for Charlotte, North Carolina | Local News (http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/stories/wcnc-111108-mw-facebook.1a2df67aa.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 08:08 AM

228 posts, read 907,938 times
I have mixed feelings on this topic.
My first question is why in the world they wouldn't make that stuff private. I have pretty tame pictures on my Facebook and I still keep it private. I am only "friends" with people I am actually friends with in real life. I am (guessing) that this could have been avoided with something as simple as that, then strangers (or in this case, parents) would not see what legal/illegal/inappropriate, etc activities they are up to.
It does bother me that they are being disciplined for their personal lives. If it is not effecting the school or their teaching abilities I do not think they should be punished for their actions out of work <within reason-social drinking to me is within reason>

Old 11-12-2008, 08:17 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,132,441 times
Welllllllll . . . I have problems w/ this. I agree that it is stupid to post this type of thing in a public arena (and I, too, wonder what possesses people to do it!!!)

And you have to wonder about someone's maturity level and also their judgment - if they are posting negative statements about their job (and photos showing possibility inappropriate behavior) on a website.

However, it troubles me that an employee - ANY employee in ANY business - could have his/her job put in jeopardy b/c of behavior that is totally outside the realm of where they actually work.

So I don't know. I would definitely be upset if I were a parent and saw this mess on Facebook - not so much b/c of the things that were said - but b/c it shows such bad judgment and immaturity.

ETA: but for the school board to take action . . . just seems invasive and troubling that they can do that. I mean - no child has been harmed, LOL.

Just not sure how I feel about this, except to say - be careful what you make public.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:21 AM

755 posts, read 2,483,454 times
Well said, Ani!

Old 11-12-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Well said, Ani!
I wonder how many people see it this way, Weedy.

I am concerned b/c people can post stuff just to be wacky and crazy w/ their friends . . . and how many times have we all said something negative about our bosses, our classmates, our coworkers, our job in general? Yes, perhaps dumb to say it where others can read it . . . but so we spout off about our idiot client, our stupid coworkers, our monstrous boss . . . as long as it was not a personal assault or libelous . . . I just have problems w/ being held responsible for stuff that may be more or less just letting off steam.

So a teacher complains that she is teaching in a ghetto school. Maybe she is!!!!! Or maybe she is just spouting off after a particularly bad day.

I can honestly say . . . if one of my employees posted that I am hell to work with and they hate their job, etc. and I saw it . . . I would possibly remember that comment when it came time for a raise . . . but otherwise, the person would never know I read it (or heard about it, for that matter). After all, I have surely said the same thing (or at least thought it) about people I have worked for/with.

Everyone has to be so PC these days. Not sure if it is proper to call this a morals violation - something posted on Facebook showing teachers drinking, for example. As long as they were not arrested for public intoxication . . . just not sure about all this.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:36 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,447,027 times
I think this statement sums up thier feelings:

This is quoted from the article in paper:

According to the district’s code of conduct, teachers can be punished for "behaving in any unethical or lascivious conduct at any time; if there is a reasonable and adverse relationship between the conduct and the continuing ability of the employee to perform any of his/her professional functions in an effective manner."

What you do in private does matter, especially in this type of situation. I can't imagine students or parents having any respect for this teacher any longer. She/He obviously has no respect for them.

I don't even understand why people go into professions and stay when they hate them so much.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Welllllllll . . . I have problems w/ this. I agree that it is stupid to post this type of thing in a public arena (and I, too, wonder what possesses people to do it!!!)

And you have to wonder about someone's maturity level and also their judgment - if they are posting negative statements about their job (and photos showing possibility inappropriate behavior) on a website.

However, it troubles me that an employee - ANY employee in ANY business - could have his/her job put in jeopardy b/c of behavior that is totally outside the realm of where they actually work.

So I don't know. I would definitely be upset if I were a parent and saw this mess on Facebook - not so much b/c of the things that were said - but b/c it shows such bad judgment and immaturity.

ETA: but for the school board to take action . . . just seems invasive and troubling that they can do that. I mean - no child has been harmed, LOL.

Just not sure how I feel about this, except to say - be careful what you make public.

Last edited by DawnW; 11-12-2008 at 08:57 AM..

Old 11-12-2008, 08:37 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,697,042 times
They should be warned and punished but NOT fired. Actually, the embaressment they are all going through about now is probably punishment enough LOL

Old 11-12-2008, 08:42 AM

I understand what you are saying, Dawn, and agree that this is immature behavior and certainly not what one would call "professional" behavior, but in reading that statement about "unethical or lascivious behavior" - I just don't think making statements about a school being "ghetto" or teaching "chitluns" or drinking a beer falls under that. I think being arrested and FOUND GUILTY for public intoxication, nudity, assault or embezzlement would fall under those terms - but not some statements and pictures on a website.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:45 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,030,720 times
I think everywhere DH has ever worked has had some kind of morality clause in the hiring agreement. Employers are now doing extensive background checks, credit reports, checking on Facebook and such sites as part of the hiring process so it isn't surprising that the standards extend after employment is granted. I respect the right of employers to hire and retain people they feel fit the image and quality of the business they are trying to promote, as long as they don't discriminate illegally.

I think the issue is that these young teachers are immature and need further training before being placed in a classroom. They lack the professionalism required to maintain the respect of the students as well as the parents. They also lack the common sense to ensure that their private lives are indeed PRIVATE and instead advertise their indescretions in the public domain.

Certainly, the students and parents deserve more than teachers who insult, degrade or openly declare their hatred for their students and job. It sounds like firing such teachers would be a win-win for all involved parties.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:56 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,960,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I think everywhere DH has ever worked has had some kind of morality clause in the hiring agreement. Employers are now doing extensive background checks, credit reports, checking on Facebook and such sites as part of the hiring process so it isn't surprising that the standards extend after employment is granted. I respect the right of employers to hire and retain people they feel fit the image and quality of the business they are trying to promote, as long as they don't discriminate illegally.

I think the issue is that these young teachers are immature and need further training before being placed in a classroom. They lack the professionalism required to maintain the respect of the students as well as the parents. They also lack the common sense to ensure that their private lives are indeed PRIVATE and instead advertise their indescretions in the public domain.

Certainly, the students and parents deserve more than teachers who insult, degrade or openly declare their hatred for their students and job. It sounds like firing such teachers would be a win-win for all involved parties.

Very, very, VERY, well said....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte