Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 06:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,489,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofnj View Post
Thanks Everyone.
The reason my range is wide is because I can afford 600+ but I dont really prefer to have "that much" house. It seems that the way homes are priced in NC that I can get what Im looking for closer to 300. BUT, Im willing to go much higher than that for the right neighborhood

Some places that are sounding good are:
Harrisburg
Huntersville
Cornelius
Matthews
Ballantyne(wherever it is, lol)
and Tega Cay, SC

Anyones opinions/comparisons of those places are most welcome
Sent you a private message
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 07:01 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,196,969 times
Hey there getmeoutofnj - I live in Tega Cay, SC (3 years as of today ). My children attend the Fort Mill School District. I currently have 1 child at Gold Hill Middle, while the other is at Gold Hill Elem (next year they will both be at the middle school ).

The commute time from Tega Cay to uptown will be apx. 30 minutes (I can make it in less time on the off hours).

I am not a realtor but if you have any other questions in regard to this area that sits just across the border (NC/SC)..feel free to ask away.

Quote:
Thanks Everyone.
The reason my range is wide is because I can afford 600+ but I dont really prefer to have "that much" house. It seems that the way homes are priced in NC that I can get what Im looking for closer to 300. BUT, Im willing to go much higher than that for the right neighborhood

Harrisburg
Huntersville
Cornelius
Matthews
and Tega Cay, SC

Old 02-23-2007, 08:22 PM

435 posts, read 1,811,577 times
South Charlotte is a nice area. I've lived in south Charlotte for 22yrs. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods in this area and the commute isn't bad at all. You can find and live in South Charlotte and not pay half a million for your home.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:58 AM

108 posts, read 376,418 times
Thanks everyone, the information is very helpful. Ive sent a couple PMs

Old 03-07-2007, 12:12 PM

476 posts, read 1,572,481 times
The only two cents I can add is good luck with the gas stove thing. Maybe you will be more successful in your price range but all I seem to see is electric. I find a gas stove a must also so may need to pay to convert. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:15 PM

111 posts, read 526,506 times
hi.. you really have a couple of different option here in my opinion. south charlotte/ballantyne have great schools, close to just about anything you would need but i dont know that it would give you that samll town feeling as much as maybe matthews or even mint hill. wesleychapel/weddington may be more of what you are looking for.. the schools are awesome!! i am showing some property out thatway this weekend and will be happy to share anything that i think youwill like!

thanks!

Old 03-07-2007, 07:40 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,817,886 times
If your interested in Huntersville,Cornelius,Harrisburg or Concord let me know if you would like a guided tour.

Thanks,

Old 03-07-2007, 11:20 PM

473 posts, read 1,575,024 times
Red face Huntersville

Quote:
Thanks Everyone.

Harrisburg
Huntersville
Cornelius
Matthews
and Tega Cay, SC

Check out Huntersville. If I could afford Birkdale Village, that's where I'd be but do enjoy Rosedale...

Old 03-11-2007, 06:28 PM

9 posts, read 23,831 times
Just another opinion as you search your options!

The Matthews area is great for families. You have Providence Plantation, Deer Creek, among other subdivisions for your price range - heck, down here you could buy a nice house and probably buy a rental property, too!

Matthew has a quaint little downtown area that bustles in the summer with the farmers' market and Stumptown Park activities. Renfrow Hardware probably still looks the same as it did when it open 80 years ago - kids love going in there and checking out the live chicks and stuff! There is a good Dance Studio in Matthews if you have a daughter. The school district is very good - most people moving into this area are moving for the schools. We had our son in private school and decided to try out the public system when we moved here, and have not been disappointed. (Just be prepared to be very active in the school)

Commute time is dependent on when you leave. We are early risers so we can get into uptown in about 20 minutes with ease.

Good luck in your selection - basically, you cannot go wrong in Charlotte. It's a lovely place!

Lisa

Old 03-12-2007, 06:31 AM

9 posts, read 26,279 times
Quote:
Help me find my eutopia! Just kidding.

I realize I may not be able to find all of these in one place but if anyone could give me any insight, it will be appreciated.

We are a married couple with a 10 yr old. Therefore my high priority is the school system. If I may quote lovesMountains from another thread, this sums it up well:

".. there is a lot more to a school than its test scores. The schools in Cabarrus county are not plagued with the problems some of the schools in Mecklenburg county are. Because it is a much smaller school system things can be taken care of more effeciently sometimes. And the level of parental involvement is much higher, which can help a school in so many ways."

*Of course I would like a low-crime area with good schools and maybe some parks around.
*Doesnt have to be "hip", more family oriented.
*Nice people.
*Short commute to uptown/downtown(within 30 mins preferably).
*I also like to have a small-ish town feel but with all the amenities very close by.
*probably upper-middle-class if I have to use a label(dont like to).
*home prices below 600K
*Clean and pretty

More about me:
I like a simple, but good life which is why we decided to move to Charlotte. For me, I dont need a very big house(frankly sick of all the houses looking the same also) but neighbourhood is important. Perhaps Im one of those "buy the smallest house in the best neighbourhood" kind of person.

I want to have a vegetable garden, is that a problem in subdivisions? I dont really want to live "in the country" or have a large piece of land.

I must have a gas stove! Hope electric is not the norm down there. is it?

I like art districts, but I can drive to them. I love ethnic cuisines, again I can drive to get it. Doesnt have to be outside my door.

If anyone here knows about the town of Okemos MI, I liked it there. Sidewalks on every street. 3-4 nature centers nearby. a park with a small lake in driving distance. Mall, doctors, grocery store, school in walking distance. People outdoors alot(weather permitting!). Easy driving(but it wasnt a suburb of a major city).

OK enough rambling from me now, if you made it this far Kudos to you!
My Wife and I are relocating from NJ we just did a whirlwind house seeking tour last month. Houses are way cheaper than NJ. We found a nice house for under 300k. The electric stoves are the norm, but we saw a number of houses with gas stoves. We also saw some new constructions, and they would do whichever you prefer. Also the houses all have gas where we looked (Union County) and you could always upgarde the stove if you saw a house you liked but with an electric stove. Hope our experience helps.

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte