Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:05 PM

84 posts, read 492,706 times

Advertisements

We are considering buying a home in a development that will be zoned for Cuthbertson HS next year. I noticed that the athletic conference they are assigned to is Rocky River 2A. Is anyone familiar with this conference? Is it competitive or comparable to the conferences that Marvin Ridge, Weddington, Porter Ridge HS's are assigned to? I am also confused about the 2A, 3A and 4A. I noticed that Marvin Ridge is in a conference 3A - will this affect the students in terms of being considered for college athletics? Sorry for all the questions but it is really important to us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 05:08 PM

825 posts, read 2,819,925 times
Default 2A, 3A, 4A classify schools based on population size

I'd suggest contacting the school or the NC High School Athletic Association.

NCHSAA - North Carolina High School Athletic Association

704-296-0105 is the high school's phone number and the web site is:

http://moodle.ucps.k12.nc.us/course/view.php?id=2100 (broken link)

I thought you asked an interesting question so I searched Google and quickly found this explanation. Although not complete, I'm sure, it's a start:

North Carolina High School Athletic Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps and all the best to you as you search for a new home.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:23 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTiz View Post
We are considering buying a home in a development that will be zoned for Cuthbertson HS next year. I noticed that the athletic conference they are assigned to is Rocky River 2A. Is anyone familiar with this conference? Is it competitive or comparable to the conferences that Marvin Ridge, Weddington, Porter Ridge HS's are assigned to? I am also confused about the 2A, 3A and 4A. I noticed that Marvin Ridge is in a conference 3A - will this affect the students in terms of being considered for college athletics? Sorry for all the questions but it is really important to us!
The classifications are based on student enrollement. The larger schools start at 4A and move down. Every so often they change the conferences as schools grow or more schools come on line.

The Southwestern 4A Conference is the big conference around here. They have Independence, Butler, East Meck, Myers Park and Weddington (Weddington is not having a great year) and others. A lot of players from this conference go on to play at the larger NCAA schools. The 3A schools are typically just smaller in population, but not all that much. I know in the South Piedmont 3A conference (Sun Valley, Kannapolis Brown, Parkwood etc.) many of those players seem to go on and play college ball regionally (Wingate, Appalachian, Lenoir Rhyne, etc.)

Hope that helps

Old 11-12-2008, 06:50 PM

84 posts, read 492,706 times
Thank you both for responding! I did check out the links and it does say that they are based on population. I guess what I'm asking is although you say that many of the athletes at 3 and 4 conference schools go on to college ball, is there a chance that a 2 school will be overlooked? I'm hoping the programs at Cuthbertson will be competitive. I think I will take your advice and contact the principal for his help b/c I really am new to this. Thanks again, I appreciate your help!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:48 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,594 times
I don't think that Cuthbertson will stay 2A very long. New schools open up small (most don't have a senior class), but they will grow very quickly.

In Weddington's case, they had grown to 4A before Marvin Ridge was built. When Marvin Ridge spun off from Weddington, it left them in a larger class with a smaller population. (Classifications are done every so many years, so re-evaluations aren't instant).

Old 12-30-2008, 04:53 PM

33 posts, read 188,072 times
Default Conferences

I have yet to see a North Carolina High School that is NOT competitive!

In this state, athletics supersede religion when it comes to fanaticism.

Cuthbertson is being modeled identical to the Weddingon High School and it is unlikely to be a couch potato high school given the affluence of the area.

My son is Junior year Weddington and planning for Duke based on academics - He is taking a full slate of honors and AP (Advanced Placement/College level) courses with a 4.5 cummulative.

Whether it is academics, athletics, either of the schools you mentioned are comparable. I came from a lousy High School and went to being in the top 10% income earners .... its not always the school but what you get out of it.

Quote:
Thank you both for responding! I did check out the links and it does say that they are based on population. I guess what I'm asking is although you say that many of the athletes at 3 and 4 conference schools go on to college ball, is there a chance that a 2 school will be overlooked? I'm hoping the programs at Cuthbertson will be competitive. I think I will take your advice and contact the principal for his help b/c I really am new to this. Thanks again, I appreciate your help!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:02 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
If the kid is good and has college talent, he'll get noticed in 1A, 2A, 3A, or 4A.......

The thing w/the larger schools (3A/4A) is that they tend to have MORE good players than your 1A's or 2A's.....its only natural because they have more kids to choose from.

Also, some of the larger schools tend to "recruit" COUGH**INDENPENDENCE**COUGH, COUGH, to stack their teams.....

Also, like the prev poster said, several schools around here I noticed tend to change every so often because of changing enrollments.....

Old 12-30-2008, 09:54 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
providence HS as well..my son is going to start in March swimming at the MAC, and all I heard was how excellent Providence HS is with their sports, and so is "Independence" I do know we keep up with the swim team at Marvin Ridge HS as my son's friend swims on the team and they are going phenonominal this season..as we pay close attention since our son wants to try out for the HS team next Oct..as well as the Mac's Swim Team..I never heard of Conferences before until moving to NC...I guess cause he was younger at the time and didnt play sports...

Old 12-31-2008, 08:33 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
providence HS as well..my son is going to start in March swimming at the MAC, and all I heard was how excellent Providence HS is with their sports, and so is "Independence" I do know we keep up with the swim team at Marvin Ridge HS as my son's friend swims on the team and they are going phenonominal this season..as we pay close attention since our son wants to try out for the HS team next Oct..as well as the Mac's Swim Team..I never heard of Conferences before until moving to NC...I guess cause he was younger at the time and didnt play sports...
Berry, just an fyi, every state has them. Weren't you out in nw nj? (mendham area?)...I believe schools out there (west morris hs, mt olive, morristown, etc) were in the Iron Hills conference...alot of Group 3 schools........nj has the same "grouping" as NC (instead of 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A NJ has/had Group 1, Group 2, Group 3 & Group 4...) hope that helps...I used to be in the NNJIL conf (alot of group 3 & 4 schools, w/some parochials mixed in)

Old 12-31-2008, 09:19 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Berry, just an fyi, every state has them. Weren't you out in nw nj? (mendham area?)...I believe schools out there (west morris hs, mt olive, morristown, etc) were in the Iron Hills conference...alot of Group 3 schools........nj has the same "grouping" as NC (instead of 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A NJ has/had Group 1, Group 2, Group 3 & Group 4...) hope that helps...I used to be in the NNJIL conf (alot of group 3 & 4 schools, w/some parochials mixed in)
No we lived in Monmouth County for 7 years then Moved to Ocean County, my son wasnt in Middle school yet until the year we moved to NC...so I knew about confrences from dh watching HS sports but never really thought about them since our son didnt play school sports, I just never paid attention..and the hype on HS and MIDDLE school sports is certainly larger than it was where we lived...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte