Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:35 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times

Advertisements

Well, we did it. Had to go try Lorenzo's for dinner tonight. Bottom line, the food was as good as advertised.

Got the Pasta Fagoli (Sounds like Fa Zool) soup. VERY good. Could've been a tad hotter. I like my soup PIPING hot. Otherwise though, very very good.

Had the Pizza. Awesome. Big slices. Dripping w/grease. A++.....

I did see though that someone ordered a spaghetti dish and it didn't come w/bread...that was surprising. Bread w/a spagetti dish is one of the ten commandments for an Italian joint.

I didn't get a chance to talk to the guy behind the counter, but if someone does, please mention this...

I will go back definitely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 07:48 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Well, we did it. Had to go try Lorenzo's for dinner tonight. Bottom line, the food was as good as advertised.

Got the Pasta Fagoli (Sounds like Fa Zool) soup. VERY good. Could've been a tad hotter. I like my soup PIPING hot. Otherwise though, very very good.

Had the Pizza. Awesome. Big slices. Dripping w/grease. A++.....

I did see though that someone ordered a spaghetti dish and it didn't come w/bread...that was surprising. Bread w/a spagetti dish is one of the ten commandments for an Italian joint.

I didn't get a chance to talk to the guy behind the counter, but if someone does, please mention this...

I will go back definitely

Oh geez, you guys are forcing me off my diet!!!!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:50 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,980,371 times
CJ, I'm so glad you liked it. I was beginning to think that with all this hype we would lift peoples expectations too high. I didn't realize they had pasta faggoli. Yet another reason to return. I did see the "waiter" bring bread out to a table the other night so I know they serve it. ( He's the owners son and just soooo sweet. )

Old 11-19-2008, 07:53 PM

Sorry Loves

Old 11-19-2008, 08:08 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
OK EGGPLANT PARM ALERT....DS who is 13.5 yrs old wanted me to tell you guys it was DELICIOUS, and as good as ANGELA's...

My chicken parm dinner was delicious...and omg the garlic knots YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Old 11-20-2008, 06:12 AM

I'm thinking a nice bowl of pasta fagoli and some garlic knots would be great on a chilly day. Whats the temp outside???

Old 11-20-2008, 10:11 AM

You are WAY to funny...and its COLD

Old 11-20-2008, 10:43 AM

206 posts, read 514,184 times
Default Yes, it's great!

I lucked out as we gave up on getting great pizza here. We live close by off Ardrey Kell Road and tried it Friday night...it is great close to what we got in NY. My 14 year old who is the pizza addict in our house gave it a thumbs up!

Now if we could get a really good Chinese restaurant in the some shopping center ......

Old 11-20-2008, 11:17 AM

mama wok is good and ming fu in Cureton is delicious

Old 11-20-2008, 11:21 AM

714 posts, read 2,305,563 times
After 7 pages of posts, I decided I had to check out Lorenzo's for myself for lunch today. I went shortly after noon, and found them doing a brisk carryout business, along with several people dining in.

Early on in this thread, I asked quite seriously if there could possibly be another "great" pizzeria in south Charlotte. With Tony's, Palermo's, Farley's, Marino's and Si's Pizzeria all within a small radius, I think that if anything, there are too many pizzerias in South Charlotte. I still do. I wasn't exactly enthused to see another pizzeria opening at Cedar Walk.

That said, I have tried pizza from all the restaurants listed above, and while I had some favorites (Tony's) among them, I didn't find any pizza that I truly loved. I know the mechanics of making a pizza - I worked at Domino's for 5 years. But my time at Domino's also made me hate bad, mediocre pizza (like theirs, Pizza Hut, etc) so I have a pretty high standard when it comes to pizza. (Several of the restaurants listed above serve subpar pizza in my book, with one of them being inedible.)

All that to say I had low expectations for Lorenzo's. Yay, another pizza joint. So when I actually tasted their pizza today, I was really, really surprised. I ordered a slice of Grandma's Pizza, and a slice of cheese pizza. My slices arrived in just a few minutes, and they were fan-freakin'-tastic.

Lorenzo's gets 2 critical ingredients right that none of the restaurants above seem to: Their crust is very tasty, and it's very crispy and light. And their sauce really tastes homemade. It's not metallic at all, and not overseasoned. Usually after I eat pizza, I feel my mouth tastes "icky" 20 or 30 minutes later, unless I "cleanse" my palate with something else. Not so with Lorenzo's.

I have read about "greasy" pizza in the thread, and my pizza slices were not greasy at all. Of course, I didn't get any meat on the pizza. (I'll try pepperoni for my next visit.) The slices aren't insanely, crazily large (I'm looking at you, Tony's) but they're good sized. I ate half of each slice and took the rest back to the office for lunch tomorrow.

There were a couple of things I think could be improved: when I entered, there was a small line and I wasn't clear about where the front of the line was. There's an "ORDER HERE" sign over the register, but were the people working their way to the cash register from the door, or had they ordered and were they waiting on something else? An "ENTER HERE" type sign where the line should begin would clear that up nicely.

I also think that for lunch, in addition to their current "lunch buffet" special they might want to consider a pizza-based special: A slice, a drink and maybe 2 garlic knots (or a small side salad) for a set price would be nice. I wanted to try the garlic knots but I didn't want 6 of them. 1 slice of pizza and a drink seemed like too little. 2 slices of pizza and a drink seemed too much. So a slice with some other little item would be just right (ok, for me).

We'll definitely go back for pizza there this weekend!

And something that the thread is missing - photos! Here's a shot of my slice of Grandma's pie. I didn't take a shot of the cheese slice. Didn't want to call too much attention to myself!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte