Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 11:40 AM

28 posts, read 96,665 times

Advertisements

What do you all think of Gastonia? My husband, toddler and I are looking into moving out that way (we currently live in Raleigh), and our realtor has several houses she'd like to show us in Gastonia. I don't know much about the area, so I'd love to get some info from all of you.

How long is the commute to Charlotte?

How are the schools?

What is there to do?

Is it family friendly?

What are the parks like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 06:34 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
I know Gastonia very well. I was raised there and my parents are still there. I'm there about once a month. It's a very nice community. I'm sure you'll hear some wise-cracks about Gastonia, but 90% of that is misinformation from people who haven't lived there and/or know very little first-hand info.

It's one of the easiest commutes into Charlotte. How long depends on where in Gastonia you live. Gastonia has one of the best city street systems in the area.

The schools, you need to be careful about. It's Gaston's sore spot. But the schools in SE Gastonia are excellent! The zone to look at is Robinson or Bess Elem., Cramerton Mid., Forestview High. Also, you might want to look at the town of Belmont (nest door to Gastonia). Homes are a little more, but the schools are great, it's closer to Charlotte, and it is smaller (pop. about 8,000 to Gastonia's 68,000).

There's A LOT to do!! Their public library is the nicest of any town I've ever seen for its size. It's across the street from one of the best nature museums in the southeast. It also has a planetarium and nature trail. There are several very nice city/county parks. Stowe Botanical Gardens is just SE of the city limits. There are lakes in the eastern part of the county (water recreation), mountains in the western part (hiking/rock climbing), making it one of the most visually beautiful counties in the area. The U.S. National Whitewater Center (the largest of its kind in the world) is just across the river from Gaston. There is a regional mall there (Eastridge Mall) and lots of other shopping/restaurant offernings.

I hope this helps. If you need anything else, just pm me and I'll be glad to help. Good luck!!!

Old 02-10-2007, 07:41 AM

Thanks you so much for that info. That's EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Old 02-10-2007, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,925 times
hello,
Ive lived in gastonia for about eight months. My wife and i live in gardner park area and we love the peace and quite.The schools in this area are all As.
As any city there is a bad part GASTONIA we just stay away from it. Its west side if im not mistaking.It takes about 25 min to get to charlotte from here. We work nereby so we dont take the freeways often enough to inform you on traffic. Anyways good luck if you need any help finding something or
anything email us we would like to help if we can.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:50 PM

286 posts, read 946,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emski View Post
What do you all think of Gastonia? My husband, toddler and I are looking into moving out that way (we currently live in Raleigh), and our realtor has several houses she'd like to show us in Gastonia. I don't know much about the area, so I'd love to get some info from all of you.

How long is the commute to Charlotte?

How are the schools?

What is there to do?

Is it family friendly?

What are the parks like?
When i landed in the airport i was renting a car, i had alot of questions, and this really nice girl invited us to her house in gastonia to show us what her develpoement was like. I thought that was nice, and the people are very nice.
It seems to be a quiet town.
good luck

Old 02-10-2007, 01:24 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
I know Gastonia very well. I was raised there and my parents are still there. I'm there about once a month. It's a very nice community. I'm sure you'll hear some wise-cracks about Gastonia, but 90% of that is misinformation from people who haven't lived there and/or know very little first-hand info.

I hope this helps. If you need anything else, just pm me and I'll be glad to help. Good luck!!!
Awesome and informative post on Gastonia! You've provided a lot of the things people new to the area would be interested in knowing.

SL

Old 02-12-2007, 07:32 PM

bump. Anyone else with info?

Old 02-13-2007, 01:30 PM

Well we just came back from looking around in gastonia yesterday. Nice town. We're still going to look around some more, but we did see some great homes.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,820 times
My wife and I are visiting the Gastonia area this weekend and considering it as a possible place for relocation. We are looking for a nice neighborhood in the 150-175k range..any suggestions would be helpful as well as places to visit in the area (food, shopping, parks, etc). Also, if you have any othere areas in the area that you would recommend that would also be helpful because my job will allow me to live anywhere in the vicinity of Char., Thank you!!

Old 02-14-2007, 06:39 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwenger View Post
My wife and I are visiting the Gastonia area this weekend and considering it as a possible place for relocation. We are looking for a nice neighborhood in the 150-175k range..any suggestions would be helpful as well as places to visit in the area (food, shopping, parks, etc). Also, if you have any othere areas in the area that you would recommend that would also be helpful because my job will allow me to live anywhere in the vicinity of Char., Thank you!!
I would also look towards Concord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte