Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 01:44 PM

161 posts, read 423,156 times

Advertisements

Let me just say it is public information what all homes sell for and yes the signs are bogus and mostly unwanted. A few have come down due to a disconnection and a division with neighbors. One of the houses that has a bogus signs is said to be a rental. Public information shows majority of those homes sold for less then the phase 2 homes a year+ ago. Does the economy hurt, yes. Does it hurt everyone yes. Is it secluded to the ones who are pulling this stunt - no.

Have more houses sold since this, yes! Are all the homes for sale actually for sale - no. But like 3 potential buyers have said that I alone have ran into it only looks like ppl who can not afford their homes who bought in the peek. So perhaps it is sending mixed messages to different folks who come by. Not everyone here is on the same page I can promise you that.

I know of two foreclosures for sure, and a small handful of rentals. That does not mean there are more as were only good as the info given or 'rumored' here on site. But that is not just here in this area, you will find that anywhere so to say that is secluded to here or a worry is hogwash.

What you do have here is a very loving, family oriented place. Lots of activity and awareness of others. Grounds for compassion and a willingness to help when in need. Yes there are bad apples but hey that is everywhere. I am very happy here!

Am I unhappy with the changes, somewhat. But the options other neighborhoods are facing that you hear about are higher HOA dues, builders pulling out and so on. At least here the SOLD signs are flying on the lots despite a few bullies and lots are being filed. You are seeing more families, more smiles and more houses. There have always been side car garages on that phase of streets so that is not a change. As for the sq footage, I can tell ya one thing two of the discontinue models that was never intended for phase 3 but for the middle section has more footage then those. Just lacked a 10 foot ceiling and side car garage. But hey I can not reach those pesky high cobwebs and I am ok not parking that way. ...

It all will balance out in the end, the economy is effecting everyone, everywhere not just here. FF is a great place to live and YES it is BOOMING here. I doubt you will see much more rental nightmare here as the HOA has restrictions on how many rental homes can actually be here. However, those who buy then have undue circumstances can not be helped. That is the fault of layoffs, economy and ppl not planning.

Happy here at FF.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:23 PM

169 posts, read 475,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emagine View Post

It all will balance out in the end, the economy is effecting everyone, everywhere not just here.
You're right, it's happening everywhere; but you're wrong that it will balance out in the end.

There are fourteen communities in Indian Trail with vacant lots. Some of the developers in those communities are also building less valued homes where more valued homes are suppose to be.

In addition to losing property value in those neighborhoods, the Town and County lose that difference in property tax value, therefore property tax revenue FOREVER. We all lose. That revenue could fund future programs, initiatives, staff, etc. We'll never get that back.

You absolutely do take a risk buying a house in an unfinished community. Sure, you might get a steal, but in 6 months, 10 months or 14 months the developer could decide they need to build smaller, cheaper homes then yours and reduce the price point again, maybe $40K, $60K or $80K less than what you paid.

Do you really want to take that gamble?

Old 09-24-2010, 07:39 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
The overall issue is not specific to Fieldstone Farm and it's a concern for the entire county... I see this in Weddington, Waxhaw, and Marvin. There is not a shortage of unfinished subdivisions. Heck, this isn't even specific to NC only - many other states are going through the exact same thing. The question is whether we're all overall in a better place if these developments get finished.

The last report I saw showed nationally about 12 months in inventory for existing homes (resales) and about 8 months in inventory for new construction. So 20 months to sell what is out there today. Adding more stock is only going to suppress overall prices even more... Builders dropping price points in neighborhoods hurts more then just those that live in there. Albeit it's probably some percentage worse being in the actual development. I start to get concerned when I start seeing $70ish per sqft.

dukesmom's point on the county revenues is a pretty important one... So I don't think there's an easy answer.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:27 PM

70 posts, read 195,475 times
The FSBO signs are not bogus. Not by any stretch. Present a reasonable offer to any and they will be considered.
It's too bad the preservation of the neighborhoods integrity has irritated some that fail to grasp the disservice the developer is doing to us all.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesmom View Post
You're right, it's happening everywhere; but you're wrong that it will balance out in the end.

There are fourteen communities in Indian Trail with vacant lots. Some of the developers in those communities are also building less valued homes where more valued homes are suppose to be.

In addition to losing property value in those neighborhoods, the Town and County lose that difference in property tax value, therefore property tax revenue FOREVER. We all lose. That revenue could fund future programs, initiatives, staff, etc. We'll never get that back.

You absolutely do take a risk buying a house in an unfinished community. Sure, you might get a steal, but in 6 months, 10 months or 14 months the developer could decide they need to build smaller, cheaper homes then yours and reduce the price point again, maybe $40K, $60K or $80K less than what you paid.

Do you really want to take that gamble?

Hope I did the Quote part right here...

THat part yeah... I was mostly targeting at the fact this is everywhere and the balancing act will not be a tic for tact to the penny but everyone will sorta be in the same boat from the same time line sort of thing.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudnk View Post
The FSBO signs are not bogus. Not by any stretch. Present a reasonable offer to any and they will be considered.
It's too bad the preservation of the neighborhoods integrity has irritated some that fail to grasp the disservice the developer is doing to us all.
Funny you should say as there have been folks asked at and it has been announced its a PR stunt to get Centex to talk to them. Same goes for the same dead horse being beat on the boards (not this one) by the ones who keep rehashing this over an over in this. Makes for good popcorn in the least.

If its real, put up a real sign with a Realtor or at least use a #. A few signs have luckily come down since that 'letter' to us has went around asking for our HUD statements before the lawyer dropped down stating there was not a case. It was then this was decided to grasp the attention because other neighborhoods have done this.

If anyone is truly unhappy with where they live then yes try and move. Sadly this is a new neighborhood one that began pretty much when the economy was tanking so the options were either to build, buy or not. It is a chance we all take.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:54 AM

45 posts, read 61,045 times
I drove through last weekend, and they had a car parked by the models with big signs on it about the FSBO houses. I thought that was pretty tasteless of them to do.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:35 AM

70 posts, read 195,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emagine View Post
Funny you should say as there have been folks asked at and it has been announced its a PR stunt to get Centex to talk to them. Same goes for the same dead horse being beat on the boards (not this one) by the ones who keep rehashing this over an over in this. Makes for good popcorn in the least.

If its real, put up a real sign with a Realtor or at least use a #. A few signs have luckily come down since that 'letter' to us has went around asking for our HUD statements before the lawyer dropped down stating there was not a case. It was then this was decided to grasp the attention because other neighborhoods have done this.

If anyone is truly unhappy with where they live then yes try and move. Sadly this is a new neighborhood one that began pretty much when the economy was tanking so the options were either to build, buy or not. It is a chance we all take.
I wonder who you talk to, those views do not represent mine. My reasons are my own.

One sign did come down, but you're not counting the sign that went up on another house in it's place apparently.

Pay 6% for a Realtor? I think not. I have had two people bang on my door and ask about my house - not bad in today's market by my reckoning.

I've talked myself blue about this and after this I'm done. Your premise that this is a chance we all take is correct. However, when the builder willfully changes the character of the neighborhood which further accelerates the deterioration of property values, it's a different story. Everyone has declined about 20% or so. The builders actions will cost some of us approximately an additional 20%, when there are still at least 100 of build able lots on the other end of the neighborhood where the new models would be comparable to the existing ones. I won't ask if the shoe were on the other foot how would that sit with you because it's not you. That's fine.

You are mistaken that the lawyer said there was no case, there is according to him. A difficult and expensive one at best. He deems winning to be far from a sure thing and would probably come down to the sympathies of the judge presiding. It was agreed it is not a good bet for the expense of bringing this to court.
Our pockets aren't deep enough to go toe to toe with Centex.

We have been called stupid, childish, and a@@holes on other boards unprovoked. I am disappointed with those in this neighborhood that reacted to this with name calling, but it does tell me all I need to know about them. I will not ever associate with them.
Fortunately the friends I have in the other areas of FF understand our grievance and admit they would do the same.

Centex lied. That is a fact.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,485 times
I agree that the changes should have been discussed with the residents. I have a few issues I would like to put out here too. First our old home sold very quickly and when we came back to FF to purchase a home, we were told there was only 1 house availible and that we would have to take it as is, that we could not change anything about the plan of the home, that was not even fully built yet, which I think was very unfair. We wanted to be closer to the larger houses and really wanted a bigger yard, but we were told there was nothing availible. So, we were stuck with the home we have. I like it ok, but it is not what I really wanted and the rules within the OHA are really way too strickt for our neighborhood. I mean if our homes were 500,00+ then yes I could see them being so picky but really...and the rules for the pool really upset me too. We do not need life guards when our teens are not even allowed to go to the pool without a parent. If the parent is there then why pay to have a life guard for a 4 ft deep pool. I really wanted the pool, but now I am sorry we have it. It was worth me paying to get access to the Lake Park pool and driving over there where the rules are much more reasonable and my teen can take her brothers and be just fine since there are life guards. I personally wish the pool rules would change so it is more family friendly and less corporate! Plus, we were supposed to have another park installed and I have yet to see that. We don't even have a basket ball court for the older kids, we don't have to have a full size court but an area with basket ball goals and a hard top would be nice, especially since our driveways are not big enough to put the inground goals. I just can't wait for the next meeting.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:14 PM

45 posts, read 61,045 times
most won't put up basketball courts cause it draws kids from other neighborhoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte