U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:32 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,985,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are in Columbia and worried about Charlotte's crime and gangs???????
LOL, ditto to that. I thought the same thing. As others have said, for the most part, Columbia and Charlotte have pretty much the same demographics. I wouldn't be any more concerned living in Charlotte than Columbia, rather inside or outside the city limits of either place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 02:41 PM

9 posts, read 21,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
In comparison to Columbia it probably relatively same. We have areas that are really great and some that are questionable kinda like around State Park in Columbia yet we also have decent areas that are similar to Blythwood, small just community areas similar to Immo; Sedefield here reminds me of that town but Sedgefield is a community with city limits.
Our lake communities around Lake Norman- Huntersville, Cornelius remind me of the area around Lake Murray. Forest Acres reminds of North Charlotte but like both areas I feel safe but just need to be on guard also the area around Rosewood Dr reminded me of North Charlotte.
If that will give you some idea. The uptown area is great very modern where Columbia mixes old architechture with new. Depends on what you feel in Columbia but you will get a similar vibe in Charlotte.
We live in Irmo, and would kinda like to keep the same feel when we move. I'm looking for some good schools too, because the education system in South Carolina is a joke. Don't get me wrong, I went to one of the best schools in Columbia, but when compared to the national scores...well, you get the picture.

I hardly EVER to go the Rosewood area or State Park...it just scares me. lol Really the only time I'm ever around those areas is if I'm going to 5 Points/The Vista for a night out, and just driving through there makes me nervous.

As far as price range, I couldn't really tell you, because I'm not sure if the cost of living is offset by income...it's probably higher there, because COL here in SC is pretty affordable.
But the information that you guys have provided so far has really been a huge help. At least I know what direction to start looking in.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,480,053 times
wait... you are not the one who called the cops that I look like a terrorist in that town are you?

haha just messin. It was a hoot not at the time but it is now. For my job I take pictures sometimes of tall structures so I was taking photos of a rail road radio tower by the tracks then two cop cars pulled up and wrote down my life stats and ran database checks. It cool that people are still being vigilant and I deal with similar situations about once a month.

Anyways Im rambling. The cop thing is a good thing actually and reminds me of Huntersville Police they are very vigilant. For instance a neighbor car was tampered with and the PD went around informing the others in that cul de sac about their car door looks unlock or have valuable in sight.
The homes in the Huntersville area remind me alot what you find in Irmo. I cant really comment on the schools it mixed on this forum on their quality but it may be better than what you are use to.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:23 PM

714 posts, read 2,026,683 times
Sunny, I got the same treatment while taking some photos near Reid's @ 7th St Station! Me, thirty-something nerdy looking white chick. Go figure.

So yeah, been there. Done that. And yes, now I've even bought the t-shirt!! (Because I don't just look like a nerd. I am a nerd.)

photographer (not terrorist) White T-Shirt - CafePress

Old 11-17-2008, 03:30 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,745 times
Charlotte has big city crime problems just like other cities with bad neighborhoods. Sometimes the crime happens in not so bad areas just like in other cities. Probably better crime rates than Newark, N.J. but not as good as Omaha, Nebraska.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,480,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
Sunny, I got the same treatment while taking some photos near Reid's @ 7th St Station! Me, thirty-something nerdy looking white chick. Go figure.

So yeah, been there. Done that. And yes, now I've even bought the t-shirt!! (Because I don't just look like a nerd. I am a nerd.)

photographer (not terrorist) White T-Shirt - CafePress

LOL , ooo I got to get me one. I dont dress some like road crew or survey person nor drive a white truck or white van just a camry lol

OP I dont feel that there will be notable home price difference between the charlotte area and Columbia both have been somewhat hot spots for relocation lately. Give us ball park what you are seeking mininum or maximum we can guide you better.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:25 PM

845 posts, read 2,318,212 times
We moved here from NE Columbia... I commuted to 485 / Johnson Rd for 6 months before we settled on Fort Mill. Just cannot go wrong with S Charlotte or FM. We enjoy the Charlotte area MUCH more that Columbia.
Good Luck!

Old 11-17-2008, 05:57 PM

236 posts, read 614,204 times
Charlotte is no different than any other city and 99 times out of 100, you have to be into trouble for trouble to find you.

Depending on your price point however, it could feel like its much closer to you than it really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte