U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 09:16 AM

416 posts, read 810,261 times

Advertisements

Over the past weekend, I spent about 12 hours working on our backyard. We have a "natural area" that surrounds the fence in a backyard that resembles more of a courtyard in terms of size. I put down some really nice mulch (forest brown and guaranteed to hold color for 2 years). Only problem is our small dog gets covered in it and tracks it inside. So I'm going to have to pull the mulch up and replace it.

My wife and I were talking about putting down a flagstone walkway in the area instead of the mulch. We want to grow moss in between the flagstone to give it an older feel. Sort of like the picture at this link:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/hg_impact...arshpath12.JPG

Had a few questions:

1) Can anyone recommend a landscaping company for a small project like this?

2) Has anyone done this as a Do It Yourself project? How difficult is this?

3) If you did it yourself, where did you purchase the flagstone?

Here is a link to a picture of the backyard. The path would be narrow between the 2 bushes leading to the small tree and branch out to the left and right to go underneath the bench on the right and the area where the hammock is.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...s/backyard.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 03:25 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,075,696 times
It's actually not that hard. DH and I did a big pathway up to our front door at our old house. Unfortunatly it was in So Cal, otherwise I would have a great suggestion on where to purchase flagstone. Make sure you shop around, we were at one place when a contractor told us to go to another place that was cheaper, he saved us over a $1,000! I wish I could have thanked him.

I planted Irish Moss between the stones, it had little white flowers. We bought a book at Home Depot and that was it. If your handy you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:59 PM

905 posts, read 3,067,542 times
Installing a path like that should not be too difficult as a do it yourself project. Some muscle is required for digging and hauling stone. I would plot the path, mark the outer edges with a bright spray paint. The dig out the depth of the stone between the lines, lay the stone, fill the joints with the dirt you removed (if free of weeds and grass), if not use bagged soil from the home improvement store. Then plant the moss.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:15 AM

39 posts, read 162,748 times
We just put down a flagstone patio at the bottom of our deck stairs because our dogs were tracking in a lot of clay. It was a lot of planning and sweat equity. We paid about $300 for supplies for an 8x8 area.

We went to Markham Landscaping. www.markhamlandscape.com. We bought 1 ton of flagstone plus the filler gravel there. They do deliver, which I recommend. We have an S-10 pickup and had to make 3 trips.

They have instructions on the website on how to do it yourself. Here's a picture of our patio.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommendations - Flagstone Pathway-100_1135.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte