Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 06:01 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,494,606 times

Advertisements

I love the nostalgia too. It also helps me learn about different areas that I've never visited before... Ani's descriptions of KCMO help me prepare my "mental list" of places to go and things to do should I ever have the opportunity to travel there. Folks who post about Chicago made me wish I'd had more time to go exploring the one time I was in that city to staff an event.

For me, I've been talking with a neighbor who is planning on visiting DC in December. She's been picking my brain over what to see and do there besides the obvious touristy stuff. She's taking advantage of the fact that I've lived there for 10 years and can give her some local places to try out that are off the beaten path.

And, just because a handful of folks post negatively on these forums does not mean that all or even the majority of folks in Charlotte share their views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 06:22 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,404,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
I love the nostalgia too. It also helps me learn about different areas that I've never visited before... Ani's descriptions of KCMO help me prepare my "mental list" of places to go and things to do should I ever have the opportunity to travel there. Folks who post about Chicago made me wish I'd had more time to go exploring the one time I was in that city to staff an event.
I love Chicago. The only times I was ever really there was for a Beatles convention, but we'd stay a week in the city. The one thing about Chicago is that you could walk a single block past the real touristy area and find yourself stepping over homeless people. At least that's the way it was when I was last there.

If I went to Chicago and all I did was hang out at the Navy Pier and take the water taxi to the Shedd Aquarium I'd be really happy.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:39 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
And CLTKing isn't a native!
I never said I was. Did you all read the last sentence in my post? Yes, I do miss one thing from my old FL, my family. The rest, it is all material or tastes that I can re-create in my home. After all, I do know how to cook Cuban food. Memories are just that, and we can't live on memories. Just my two cents, didn't want to look harsh or insensitive to your melancholy.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It is nice to have a thread just to be nostalgic! So let's carry on!!!

I miss snow every so often, too. My son sent me a picture of himself and his g/f on Monday - it has snowed so much on the western slopes . . . I had no clue!! I thought they got a dusting! I wish I had a picture of the landscape to share with you - cause I suspect you will be as surprised as I at how much snow the area around Boone got this week!!! We drive up there just to have an excuse to get bundled up and mess around in the snow. Have you taken a trip to the mountains yet? It is so beautiful w/ the trees white and everything glistening . . .

Oh - and something I enjoy doing - I found webcams of various places in KCMO - maybe you would enjoy checking out a webcam for some of your favorite spots in CHI? Not as good as being there, but still fun!
If you find yourself surfing the web for webcams of your old city, I think that is a real sign that you should move back. I don't understand some people. You move here to start clean, with a new life, but then you are looking for stores, tastes, webcams of your old place...? I don't get it.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:23 AM

714 posts, read 2,306,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
If you find yourself surfing the web for webcams of your old city, I think that is a real sign that you should move back. I don't understand some people. You move here to start clean, with a new life, but then you are looking for stores, tastes, webcams of your old place...? I don't get it.
I've surfed the web and watched webcams in Paris, London, the Caribbean and Fairbanks, Alaska. Does that mean I should move to those places too?

So you don't "get" nostalgia. We get that. As I see it, there's no reason for you to participate in this thread if you don't care anything about where you came from. Why even read our stuff?

Since Charlotte is your be-all/end-all city and the most ultimate place you have ever existed, isn't there something better you can do here with your time than read our stupid nostalgic stuff?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:27 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,981,330 times
My sentiments exactly.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
I've surfed the web and watched webcams in Paris, London, the Caribbean and Fairbanks, Alaska. Does that mean I should move to those places too?

So you don't "get" nostalgia. We get that. As I see it, there's no reason for you to participate in this thread if you don't care anything about where you came from. Why even read our stuff?

Since Charlotte is your be-all/end-all city and the most ultimate place you have ever existed, isn't there something better you can do here with your time than read our stupid nostalgic stuff?
I don't think it is stupid at all. I believe that we should always remember where we came from so we don't recreate the same mess we left behind in our new home. Anyways, enjoy your nostalgia. I went through the same stage my first six months here, but then I moved on. Life is too short to stay on the past.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:22 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,404,562 times
Quote:

That logic is just...what's the word I'm looking for...ridiculous. Just what exactly is wrong with visiting your old home by way of a webcam? No different than looking at uploaded pictures of your old home state. And if that's the case then we should ALL just move back. By refusing to do so much as look at a webcam of your old place, that just tells me you're probably afraid to revisit any feelings of homesickness that you're most likely hiding (better known as "denial").

Quote:
didn't want to look harsh or insensitive to your melancholy.
I don't think there's any melancholy here, only a high and mighty mentality coming from someone with the word "King" in his login. At least those of us who have posted what they miss are the ones who have it in them to post it here and, like looking back on your own childhood, reminisce with everyone else. If you're not going to do that, then CLTKing + This Thread = Go Away.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:03 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
I never said I was. Did you all read the last sentence in my post? Yes, I do miss one thing from my old FL, my family. The rest, it is all material or tastes that I can re-create in my home. After all, I do know how to cook Cuban food. Memories are just that, and we can't live on memories. Just my two cents, didn't want to look harsh or insensitive to your melancholy.
What melancholy? No one here posted anything negative about the Charlotte metro area. Not one person said that they are pining away for something.

It's a normal, human, thing to miss people & things that they are accustomed to. Good grief, I posted that I miss the Philly newscasts because I knew where the locations of the stories were. I'll learn the locations here, but right now, they are just location names to me. In the scheme of life, it doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but I miss the location knowledge. Missing a place at the Jersey shore or the riverboats in Kansas City, or any other place is not melancholy, it's normal & human.

Don't like our posts? Everyone else had the good grace to post nothing.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:09 AM

347 posts, read 1,094,935 times
I miss sunsets over the ocean. And the serene winding drives on I-5.

But now I'm in love with the outerbanks... and can't wait to go there again. Hmmm....Maybe I just love the ocean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte