Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 07:22 AM

245 posts, read 1,019,510 times

Advertisements

It is scary. Fact is people are discriminated against even though it is against the law. I applied for a teller job at a local bank. My sister applied too. We know people that work there. I called and asked about setting up and interview and was told there weren't any openings. My sister called and asked the same thing, they told her the job was still available and they were working on it. We know the job is available because we have a friend that works there and she told us it wasn't filled yet. So go figure. I guess since I've been a stay at home mom for 10 years they don't want me even though I have lots of experience and a BS degree.

Good luck to all, my hubby is still looking for a job. He got laid off, that seems to happen a lot down here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 05:22 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,341 times
In my experience the Charlotte job market is absolutely terrible.

Here's my story. I moved here almost a year and a half ago after nine years in the Army and a medical discharge (nothing serious, I just can't do army things anymore). I have a bachelor's of business administration and financial securities licenses. I thought that this, along with my leadership experience from the army would at least mean a little bit. Nope. It took me 6 months of hard looking to land my first terrible job here, and it wasn't even enough to pay the rent AND eat (luckily I had a bit of my disability money left). Well I was able to get another job that is better than the first only because it pays better. Other than that it is the most depressing dead end job I could imagine. The fact that there are many people there doing the same thing who are 15 years older than me, have MBAs, and have already put in 5-8 years without moving up just makes it even more depressing.

The flip side is the numerous offers that I have gotten from other companies. The only problem with these offers are that they have all been for sales jobs that are commission only. Sorry, but no thanks.

I'm not looking for a dream job, I gave up that notion a LONG time ago. I am just looking for a job that is not a dead end, that has some sort of future career potential. I have been thinking about cutting my losses and getting out of this place to head to a bigger city with more opportunity. Frankly, I'll be shocked and/or disappointed if I am still here in 6 months.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:51 AM

7 posts, read 27,559 times
yeah, i just move back to charlotte and been looking for a decent job for about 6 months now, but nothing come up, does anyone know anyone in the design field that i can talk to? i'm getting very stressed about this situation.....sigh....

Old 03-09-2007, 09:57 AM

93 posts, read 598,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
In my experience the Charlotte job market is absolutely terrible.

Here's my story. I moved here almost a year and a half ago after nine years in the Army and a medical discharge (nothing serious, I just can't do army things anymore). I have a bachelor's of business administration and financial securities licenses. I thought that this, along with my leadership experience from the army would at least mean a little bit. Nope. It took me 6 months of hard looking to land my first terrible job here, and it wasn't even enough to pay the rent AND eat (luckily I had a bit of my disability money left). Well I was able to get another job that is better than the first only because it pays better. Other than that it is the most depressing dead end job I could imagine. The fact that there are many people there doing the same thing who are 15 years older than me, have MBAs, and have already put in 5-8 years without moving up just makes it even more depressing.

The flip side is the numerous offers that I have gotten from other companies. The only problem with these offers are that they have all been for sales jobs that are commission only. Sorry, but no thanks.

I'm not looking for a dream job, I gave up that notion a LONG time ago. I am just looking for a job that is not a dead end, that has some sort of future career potential. I have been thinking about cutting my losses and getting out of this place to head to a bigger city with more opportunity. Frankly, I'll be shocked and/or disappointed if I am still here in 6 months.
What line of work are you interested in? I'm sure you have probably tried everything under the sun! I'm an HR Manager and will be relocating in the late spring/summer, but I have already started my job search. What I find that has worked for me is flooding the market. Send your resume by fax, email, mail if possible. Let your name be visible, make sure you have a good resume/cover letter. In terms of your career goals, it will help if you have an idea of the market you're most interested in (Financial?), then pursue those companies head on. I think you have great potential, (having a BA, army vet is a plus!) but you'll also need to invest some time in a company and not move around too much. I hope this helps a bit.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:23 AM

19 posts, read 70,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKaz View Post
I found a job and was hired the same day.

Charlotte.com is a pretty good start.

I spoke with the company over the phone this past Tuesday and set up an interview and drove down there from Long Island this past Friday. There are thousands of jobs.
Glad you posted charlotte.com, this is a great site!

Old 03-09-2007, 01:43 PM

462 posts, read 1,843,115 times
Charlotte.coms help wanted section and Careerbuilder are one in the same.
My wife just landed a job, so now I just need to find something. My only problem with the Charlotte job market is the pay is lower than expected but hopefully we will be able to make it work.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:01 PM

6 posts, read 5,644 times
I am wonder if some of you may be recruiters or know recruiting services that can help me and my spouse find work in Charlotte. We have been researching and send resumes for well over a year. I have a MS in computer science from Rutgers and my husband has a BS in mechanical engineering from PS. We both have experience. We placed deposit on a house in Waxhaw last year but had to back out since we could not find a job. Our builder will honor the deposit and has suggested a no-doc loan but with nothing in a year I don't think this is a good idea. I just don't understand why it is so difficult to find even entry level jobs in this area. We have had multiple offers in many places during the past year. The interviews that we have had go well, but the employers always seems to be fishing for competitive information or cost cutting methods. I have been researching and talking to a few people in the area they tell me many of the job placement ads are phony. One even said they are part of the huge PR machine of the carolina's. I know we have have seen many ads from several companies run week after week for the past 2 years. What gives are there jobs there or is this really part of the PR machine to help sell homes? AshleyShay

Old 03-12-2007, 03:29 AM

654 posts, read 1,210,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyshay View Post
I know we have have seen many ads from several companies run week after week for the past 2 years. What gives are there jobs there or is this really part of the PR machine to help sell homes? AshleyShay
I believe we have a winner!!!

Seriously, I was talking about this same thing just a couple of days ago. I do believe that the job market in Charlotte is definitely not all that it is built up to be and that it may be artificially hyped to attract more people down here (bigger tax base?). Someone a few posts up recommended that I try flooding the market by sending my resume out by email, mail, and fax to as many places as possible. Believe me, it doesn't help. And you are right about the job placement ads, they are bs. Sure makes it look like there are alot of good jobs in the area though.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:16 AM

58 posts, read 256,418 times
My daughter and her family are moving to Fort Mill, Whitley Mills area. They purchased a townhome and are excited about the move. They are moving from Long Island since it so unaffordable for young couples. The job situation is a concern. He is in the insurance business and she is a nutritionist/esthetician. Will there be problems for them to find jobs in the Charlotte area?

Old 03-12-2007, 09:32 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
I believe we have a winner!!!

Seriously, I was talking about this same thing just a couple of days ago. I do believe that the job market in Charlotte is definitely not all that it is built up to be and that it may be artificially hyped to attract more people down here (bigger tax base?). Someone a few posts up recommended that I try flooding the market by sending my resume out by email, mail, and fax to as many places as possible. Believe me, it doesn't help. And you are right about the job placement ads, they are bs. Sure makes it look like there are alot of good jobs in the area though.
With all due respect, that is one of the most ridiculous notions I have ever read. Fact is, Charlotte’s unemployment rate is, what it is; and the number of jobs created each year, are; what they are. There is no mysterious force; we’ll simply call it “the man”, that tells people around the country “come to Charlotte, we’ve got a job for you.” People read the economic numbers and draw their own conclusions.

And BTW, who in H. E. Double Hockey Sticks moves to a city “without” already having a job??? I’ve read several times on this board where people say that is what they did or they’re questioning if they should do it or not. The answer is “no”. No one should ever do that. That wouldn’t be a rational decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte