U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 07:58 PM

23 posts, read 67,007 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I must admit that the one thing that I am most worried about is finding a job in Charlotte BEFORE I move there.

I have a background in title insurance/mortgages, but I was really hoping that I would be able to find a job in the Marketing/Advertising/Public Relations/Communications field.

Anyone know how the job market is in Charlotte for these types of jobs? Any companies that I should look for?

For people who have reloacted to Charlotte, did you find it hard to find a job when you didn't live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 12:12 PM

476 posts, read 1,452,861 times
Kara,

We too have the same concerns about jobs. My DH is a computer programmer and starting the job hunt from scratch. Let's keep this thread bumped in hopes of some contact info.

Laurie

Old 02-24-2007, 12:53 PM

72 posts, read 264,742 times
Smile jobs

We are relocating from NJ. My dh is a contractor and I am an Interior Designer. He has put many resumes out and has yet to here from anyone. We are getting the feeling that without a NC address employers are reluctant to contact us. We will be putting our house on the market the end of this month. if house sells before job, he will stay here (with family) and we will buy house in NC. Kids and I will relocate and get the NC address and then hopefully he will start to hear something. I agree we need to keep this thread going. any info from people already down in NC, that have relocated would be great. Thanks

Old 02-24-2007, 01:53 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,795,966 times
Five chances are you will find a job before your house sells...Im a realtor here in NJ and my house has been up for sale for almost 50 days and I have a beautiful house in a very nice area and location and well homes are sitting here for quiet some time, I just did a price reduction and is officially priced to sell....because if I lower it anymore I will be giving it away fortunatley for us it might be dh does have a job before this house sells..wish us luck...

Good Luck to you

Old 02-24-2007, 02:09 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,171,712 times
Default I tried and it just didn't work out...

Hey there, I have a degree in Journalism/Mass Communications, but Advertising was my major. I graduated about 2 1/2 years ago from a really good program, but my job search was pretty unsuccessful...it's my fault though--I never interned because I was more worried about getting in and out of school in 4 years, plus I transferred into the school and the major my junior year. Big mistake as far as I'm concerned...I didn't land a single interview except one, and I was eventually offered that job. It was a less than glamorous job with a "marketing" firm in which I would've been knocking on doors, trying to sell office supplies.

I am from this area, so I just used my home address when sending out resumes, and it still didn't work. I am confident my lack of experience was detrimental in my job search, but I'm sure the competition for Ad/PR jobs in this area is stiff. Some of my friends from undergrad applied for jobs here and they were interning for 2-3 summers straight. I guess it's all about networking.

Sorry I'm not really of much help, but it's not impossible to find a job in the field...you just have to work REALLY hard to find one if you're just starting out. If you're experienced, then disregard my entire post, lol. Good luck!

Last edited by IBrakeforTailgaters; 02-24-2007 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: I didn't like the way one of my words came out!

Old 02-24-2007, 02:39 PM

72 posts, read 264,742 times
Default njmom

Where in NJ are you? we are in monmouth county 10 mins from the ocean. Just wanted to wish you luck on home sale and congrats to dh if he landed the job. we both have in excess of 15- 20 years experience so that shouldn't be a problem. my dh did speak to a construction supervisor when we were down last week and he said they will be looking for help in 6-8 weeks when they start a new development, so he does have that contact. we will keep our fingers crossed. The tough part is not knowing where to look, when you don't know where you will be working. becuz we are in construction that could be anywhere in NC. Hopefully you will sell soon.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:59 PM

245 posts, read 920,437 times
My hubby got laid off in December and has been searching for a job since before he got laid off. He has even expanded his search to other states. He's had some interviews, but it seems like a lot of places just aren't hiring. I don't know what the deal is, I can't find a job either. I do know a lot of folks have gotten laid off recently. Lots of places are sending all the business to Mexico.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:21 AM

225 posts, read 765,491 times
We're finding the job hunt situation difficult from here. We've decided to wait until we have a local address to continue. Employers are just not that interested in people out of state IMO. They probably think we want relo money.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:46 AM

543 posts, read 1,636,327 times
It's a tough situation for everyone.

Think about how many new posts are in here everyday for people *thinking* of moving and looking for jobs. Now consider employers costs in spending time interviewing, processing, checking references and then getting as far as a job offer to a prospective employee only to find out that:

House they're moving from didn't sell.
They picked another area to live.
They aren't moving for 6 or more months.
Decided not to move.

The list goes on and on.

When we first started looking to move down here from MA, I went through headhunters looking for contract work and this is what more than one of them told me about why they don't want to even look at resumes from out of state.

I know enough people are landing jobs down here and moving so it's not impossible but I'd almost have to agree with employers for the most part that it's probably more likely that someone won't move than they will move. Not a fair deal for the serious movers but how can an employer tell who is really serious?

Old 02-25-2007, 07:59 AM

225 posts, read 765,491 times
I agree with your assessment. That's why we decided to what until we move. But we are still researching employers and business opportunities during the meantime.

Hopefully, it won't be too long before we find something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or